Mismatched H-700?

Retro Ryan

I recently bought a pair of mint condition Hersey H-700 speakers, but they don't have sequential serial numbers. I have a few questions.

Based on the numbers, can you tell when they were made? :26031, and 1F922

Are they a sonic match?

I'm planning on hooking then up to a Kenwood KR2600 15 watt stereo receiver and a 1971 Gerard zero 100 turntable (once I repair them both). Do you think that set-up would sound reasonable good? I would love to plug the speakers into a new Cambridge audio CX a81, but I don't have that kind of money laying around. Besides, I thought it might be cool to have 100% of this system be vintage.

17 hours ago, Retro Ryan said:

I recently bought a pair of mint condition Hersey H-700 speakers, but they don't have sequential serial numbers. I have a few questions.

Based on the numbers, can you tell when they were made? :26031, and 1F922

Are they a sonic match?

Possibly  the serial number that you have quoted as 26031 is actually 2G031. This would be 1968 for the 1F922 and 1969 if the other is in fact  2G031 as I suppose it may be. read up in the following topic for some more info.

Yes, they must be 1F922 and 2G031.  They shipped on 11/11/68 and 1/27/69 respectively, with the same driver compliment.  Final testers were Norman Bradford and Portus Gilley, also respectively.  

You should still open them to see if any modifications/updates have occurred.  If still matched, they should be quite interesting to hear, particularly with vintage equipment.

On 8/5/2020 at 1:42 PM, Retro Ryan said:

Are they a sonic match?

here is a picture of the internals of a  1968 --------H700----------------------is this what you see in both 68-and 69 speakers -

1968 Klipsch H700 Heresy | [H]ard|Forum

I was thinking about a test to compair matching by ear in real time without additional expense.

You could put the boxes next to each other and then use amp's balance control to pan back and forth.  The problem with this is that you're hearing left versus right program  (which are not identical) and so if you have a choice of mono, that would be best.

Another way.  If your amp has A-B speaker swich you could hook up one speaker to 'A' left output and the other to 'B' left output.  Then switch between A and B speaker sets. and listen  Again with the boxes next to each other.  Of course there is nothing magic about 'left' and you could use 'right.'

My guess is that they will sound just about identical in either test.  These tests would certainly reveal a blown driver in one box.

BTW, that is a nice photo of the innards.  Perhaps a potential buyer would question why the Heresy commands a higher price than speakers which appear similar on the outside and have inferior sonic quality  What we see in the Heresy picture is very serious engineering, cost be danged.

WMcD

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
24 minutes ago, Retro Ryan said:

Sorry, I meant are the speakers a good fit for the receiver. My H1s are matching

the Integrated Amplifier Kenwood KR2600   is putting out  15 watts per channel ,  which is amply enough  for H1-H2-H3-H4  , You'll definitely be able to enjoy the sound of the speakers -