Reducing KLF 30 Midrange Level

I finally got around to recapping with Dayton poly caps for mids and highs, Parts Express house brand electrolytics for the woofers, installing Crites Ti diaphragms, and replacing ferrofluid in the tweeters. I've been letting them crank when I can, to break everything in. The Crites do seem to improve and smooth out after playing a while, in my opinion. Anyways, the mids still seem a little hot for my ears. I'm used to the Tangent T5000 / Heresy 2 sound, which I believe has more midrange attenuation compared to the KLF 30s. They sound very great, don't get me wrong, but I'm in a smaller room and the mids are a little overwhelming with my current gear. What's the best way to reduce midrange level? Do I need the Crites autoformers and new midrange caps? Should I install 16 ohm l-pads from Parts Express? Detailed instructions would be helpful. Thanks! 

Yes, K-79-K tweeters used ferrofluid. K-75-K is the same tweeter found in Tangent T5000, but with no ferrofluid. I debated whether or not to replace or just remove and leave it out, but I had extra on hand from Parts Express and figured I would replace it so it's the same as before. Perhaps some K-79-K don't have it, can't tell ya there. It was in both pairs from my Chorus 2s and the KLF30s also. In my KG4s, which don't have K-79-Ks, one pair had ferrofluid while one did not. Weird! 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 8:47 PM, absolve2525 said:

Should I install 16 ohm l-pads from Parts Express? Detailed instructions would be helpful.

Are the drivers 16 ohm?  If so, yes.  If not, no.

Directions are supplied.  Wiring is simple.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, absolve2525 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds easy enough! Where do you order those from? 

It´s better to purchase the MResit Supreme Versions from Mundorf. They got a copper / Nickel Alloy . I don´t know where you can get Mundorf Products in the USA . The one that @MechEngVicproposed are regular MOX

• Like 1

4 hours ago, absolve2525 said:

Yes, K-79-K tweeters used ferrofluid. K-75-K is the same tweeter found in Tangent T5000, but with no ferrofluid. I debated whether or not to replace or just remove and leave it out, but I had extra on hand from Parts Express and figured I would replace it so it's the same as before. Perhaps some K-79-K don't have it, can't tell ya there. It was in both pairs from my Chorus 2s and the KLF30s also. In my KG4s, which don't have K-79-Ks, one pair had ferrofluid while one did not. Weird! 

the k79  depending on the year of manufacturing , would have ferrofluid  , some did not   , the ones who  are  shown with a green  color  have ferrofluid -------but sometimes , people who replace a defective tweeter , also  remove the ferrofluid

• Like 1

22 hours ago, absolve2525 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds easy enough! Where do you order those from? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333283622325

https://www.partsconnexion.com/cgi-bin/sc/productsearch.cgi?storeid=*20b7b4534d0a875b77f1157d6bb78322a865&search_field=mills

https://www.percyaudio.com/

The reason I suggest the use of resistor changes instead of changes to inductor or capacitor values is because you're not changing the Klipsch architecture (the shape of the frequency response curve), just turning down the volume a bit. And a resistor change will have less of an effect on the driver's impedance curve than even small inductor and capacitor changes can have. Trust me, you don't want to mess with that sweet signature Klipsch midrange sound. About the most I would try is doubling the resistance value, but no less than about 10 ohm increase. The Mundorfs on eBay are cheap enough to buy several values and a good quality resistor. You can cut the old resistor out but leave the leads sticking up out of the board and alligator clip different values in until you find what you like. Then if you want the best quality, buy a Mills of your favorite value to put in (within a few ohms is ok). For fun, check Parts Connexion for the crazy boutique resistors.

• Like 1

With the MResist SUPREME you can enjoy even the finest details and spatial information that are lost with conventional resistors. Thanks to the elaborate bifilar construction from 1Ω, in which two wires are wound simultaneously onto the high-temperature-resistant cement body, the inductance also always remains below 0.075μH. The MResist SUPREME series is also distinguished by tonal neutrality and realistic music reproduction - thanks to a special, fireproof, hand-applied casting compound that optimally fixes and stabilizes the resistor winding and thus protects it from microphonic effects.To ensure that the sound experience is not impaired even under high load, a special copper-nickel alloy is used as conductor material, which is characterised by a positive and extremely low temperature coefficient of only 50ppm/°C.The use of exclusively non-magnetic materials and the welding of all contacts are further details that ensure that MResist SUPREME resistors are barely perceptible acoustically.

• Like 1

I finally got around to recapping with Dayton poly caps for mids and highs, Parts Express house brand electrolytics for the woofers, installing Crites Ti diaphragms, and replacing ferrofluid in the tweeters. I've been letting them crank when I can, to break everything in. The Crites do seem to improve and smooth out after playing a while, in my opinion. Anyways, the mids still seem a little hot for my ears. I'm used to the Tangent T5000 / Heresy 2 sound, which I believe has more midrange attenuation compared to the KLF 30s. They sound very great, don't get me wrong, but I'm in a smaller room and the mids are a little overwhelming with my current gear. What's the best way to reduce midrange level? Do I need the Crites autoformers and new midrange caps? Should I install 16 ohm l-pads from Parts Express? Detailed instructions would be helpful. Thanks! 

That's cool absolve. I think that after you've dealt with all of the issues with these speakers they are hard to beat. 

Are your cabs solid (not leaking away bass)? That will really help with the mids/highs and make the speaker sound more balanced. AG55 mid drivers help, too....and are a big step up from the originals.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MicroMara said:

With the MResist SUPREME you can enjoy even the finest details and spatial information that are lost with conventional resistors. Thanks to the elaborate bifilar construction from 1Ω, in which two wires are wound simultaneously onto the high-temperature-resistant cement body, the inductance also always remains below 0.075μH. The MResist SUPREME series is also distinguished by tonal neutrality and realistic music reproduction - thanks to a special, fireproof, hand-applied casting compound that optimally fixes and stabilizes the resistor winding and thus protects it from microphonic effects.To ensure that the sound experience is not impaired even under high load, a special copper-nickel alloy is used as conductor material, which is characterised by a positive and extremely low temperature coefficient of only 50ppm/°C.The use of exclusively non-magnetic materials and the welding of all contacts are further details that ensure that MResist SUPREME resistors are barely perceptible acoustically.

Lol.  Reads like an infomercial.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, SWL said:

That's cool absolve. I think that after you've dealt with all of the issues with these speakers they are hard to beat. 

Are your cabs solid (not leaking away bass)? That will really help with the mids/highs and make the speaker sound more balanced. AG55 mid drivers help, too....and are a big step up from the originals.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yup, cabinets are solid and this version has bracing inside. I have a pair of K55v with solder lugs I could try, but not sure how well they fit the stock midrange horn. 

• Like 1