Reducing KLF 30 Midrange Level

An Update: After a lot of cranking the speakers the past few weeks, as well as some cable and amp swaps, I'm appreciating the midrange at stock levels. I did try replacing the stock 22 ohm resistor with a 33 ohm Mundorf, but it kind of sucked out the midrange. I did order a pair of 22 ohm Mundorf resistors also, and I decided to install those in place of the stock ones. Maybe the new resistors sound better? Lol probably not, but I do think the caps and/or Crites Ti might have broken in some also. I did swap in a nice 80 watt 1990s Yamaha Stereo receiver with an adjustable loudness contour, and I'm getting a real synergy with some use of that. I thought maybe the Dayton caps were too dull initially, but now I'm getting good detail without too much brightness. Thanks for all the input! I may eventually pull the midrange horns and coat the backs with silicone for additional damping. 

• Like 1

I agree to get the speakers themselves dialed in but do you use any type of room treatments with these speakers? I ask because I went that route (absorption/diffusion) in addition to EQ in the digital domain and it is a dramatic improvement in sound quality from top to bottom.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, absolve2525 said:

An Update: After a lot of cranking the speakers the past few weeks, as well as some cable and amp swaps, I'm appreciating the midrange at stock levels. I did try replacing the stock 22 ohm resistor with a 33 ohm Mundorf, but it kind of sucked out the midrange. I did order a pair of 22 ohm Mundorf resistors also, and I decided to install those in place of the stock ones. Maybe the new resistors sound better? Lol probably not, but I do think the caps and/or Crites Ti might have broken in some also. I did swap in a nice 80 watt 1990s Yamaha Stereo receiver with an adjustable loudness contour, and I'm getting a real synergy with some use of that. I thought maybe the Dayton caps were too dull initially, but now I'm getting good detail without too much brightness. Thanks for all the input! I may eventually pull the midrange horns and coat the backs with silicone for additional damping. 

When you find balance with the factory crossover, that's a win. And what you learn is it's not just about one component but all your gear working well together. Also, many of us believe that well made resistors can make sonic improvements.

• Like 2

Thanks, I'm certainly open to incorporating well-made resistors in the future! I briefly compared one speaker with the stock resistor and another with the Mundorf MR10 of the same 22 ohm value. I couldn't really tell a difference at the time, so figured I may as well just keep the Mundorf in both since it wasn't hurting the sound! I don't doubt that moving up to a higher-end resistor would improve things further. 

• 9 months later...

Not trying to hijack your thread.  Im

just wondering what replacement diaphragms are recommended for the KLF30's midrange. Mine are functional, but I'm

looking for some drop in upgrades.  Thoughts?

I have some Crites Titanium Tweets on the way, and I'm replacing the electrolytic Caps with some really good film capacitors.  I'm also reifocing the cabinets, filling them with fiberglass insulation for some adiabatic volume increase and reflection control, then I'll refinish the cabinets with an appropriate resurfacing.  My woofers function fine, though the dust caps  are separating on a couple.  

Best, Pat

Edited by Pat Z