Onkyo TX-NR656 & Klipsch Reference Series - Ok?

1CY

Hey everyone, first time posting to the Forum and brand new Klipsch owner of the Reference Series. I hope your all doing well out there. 

I wanted to ask your opinion of the Onkyo TX-NR656 receiver and the speakers I have put together listed below and if they would match well with my particular model.

Here are the speakers:

Klipsch R620F Towers + Klipsch R41SA add-on’s for Dolby Atmos 

Klipsch R41M Bookshelf Speakers for Rear Surrounds

Klipsch R34C Center Channel

Klipsch R-100SW Subwoofer

I was trying to aim for the 100 Watt range and 8 Ohms to give me more breathing room with the NR656.

With that said, I look forward to your feedback and anything I should be looking out for including settings with my said receiver and or future receivers to get for them if the Onkyo is not good enough.

Hope to hear from you all soon.

Thank you for your time!

Edited by 1CY

2 hours ago, willland said:

@1CY,

Welcome to the forum.

You look to have yourself a very nice setup.  The Onkyo will sound just fine.  I have used an Onkyo TX-SR705 for the last 13 years and it has been bullet proof and a stellar performer.

Bill

Hi Bill, thank you so much for the vote of confidence. I am sure you can understand how confusing speakers and receivers are for many people and I am still to this day trying to figure them out after many years. I wanted to ask if you have any recommendations for what to setup the speakers as in the GUI of the Onkyo as I will use the autosetup with some manual adjustments. I am not too sure but I hear a good rule of thumb is to use them all as small and set to 80hz including dialing the sub to 80hz as well?

Thank you for your time Bill, and by the way, really cool to see your in Kissimmee/Saint Cloud as my family frequently visits Florida and is our second home.

Nick

Edited by 1CY

Well, I use and have used a combination of auto EQ/setup and manual adjustments.  Some rooms(mine) are difficult to get "perfect" so a little manual tweaking is usually necessary.  Sometime a just a little toe-in can make a huge difference or height/angle adjustment on your center channel.  I do set my speakers to "small" but do currently have my mains at 60Hz and center at 70Hz.  I don't all those 6.5" woofers(10 total in front stage) to go to waste.

Bill 

5 hours ago, willland said:

Well, I use and have used a combination of auto EQ/setup and manual adjustments.  Some rooms(mine) are difficult to get "perfect" so a little manual tweaking is usually necessary.  Sometime a just a little toe-in can make a huge difference or height/angle adjustment on your center channel.  I do set my speakers to "small" but do currently have my mains at 60Hz and center at 70Hz.  I don't all those 6.5" woofers(10 total in front stage) to go to waste.

Bill 

Okay Bill, so based off of what my particular set models are what should I do then? 

I realize autosetup is never perfect but nothing is in life including manual methods as well. Everyone’s ears are different and all rooms are as we all know.

I did notice that the towers and Center channels are woofers as you mentioned including whichever other speaker too that I have.  Does this mean the rule of 80hz is out the door then?

Do you have any idea why it was ever suggested to just set everything to 80hz and speakers to small?

Appreciate your efforts here with me! 

Nick

I let my NAD's Audyssey MultEQ XT do it's thing and adjust as needed to my liking.  IMO, it is trial and error because as you said all ears are not the same as well as all rooms.

2 hours ago, 1CY said:

Do you have any idea why it was ever suggested to just set everything to 80hz and speakers to small?

I think that came from THX's standards.

Bill

2 hours ago, willland said:

I let my NAD's Audyssey MultEQ XT do it's thing and adjust as needed to my liking.  IMO, it is trial and error because as you said all ears are not the same as well as all rooms.

I think that came from THX's standards.

Bill

Right. The NR656 dropped Audyssey from what I remembered but more or less it the same junk when said and done. You said it best, it’s all up to us and our ears / particular room setup.

Thanks again Bill, great feedback. Thank you for your time once again my friend!

• 2 weeks later...