2-way Heritage?

jdmccall

In light of the fact(?) that PWK aspired to build and market a 2-way klipschorn and that Klipsch will indeed offer such a design as the "Jubilee", what would the community think of all the other models in the Heritage family eventually being redesigned as 2-ways?  Could it happen?  Would it be a win-win or would there be a downside?  Just one of those things I like to ponder in my nerdy old age.🤓

Surely just as "entrance models", right? The Heritage series has been around for more than 50 years and as such i think, the main line won´t change. Maybe they would try to gain a bit more mass apeal, so to say. If that is a good thing, who knows...

• Like 1

No, not as entrance models.  My point is, if PWK thought a two-way could be good enough for the Jubilee, then why not for the rest of the line?  There certainly are those who hold to the idea of the two way as being potentially better sounding than three-ways.  Of course, arguments can be made either way.

Really good 2-way speakers depend on having a tweeter with a very wide frequency capability, typically a compression driver.  Those drivers are expensive, probably more expensive than a mid-priced tweeter and squawker (mid driver) combined.  Also, for a beginner in audio, the 3-way speaker might seem like more for the money than a 2-way speaker.

Finally, the Jubilee and JubScala are bi-amped, with active electronic crossovers, which adds to the cost, but greatly adds to their performance.  Comparing speakers like those to more basic 2-way speakers is really an apples-to-oranges situation.

14 minutes ago, Schu said:

Jubilee... heritage?

Jubilee is a professional model.

Jubilee was originally designed/intended to be a residential speaker...  it's just uber-cool that a residential designed speaker is good enough to reside in a cinema lineup!!

Otherwise, I'd say they won't do it....  I think the company (or Roy at least) are trying to keep them in the spirit of PWK's designs.  Maybe that has or will changed but if that's still accurate, then I'd say they'll just be refined as opposed to redesigned.

Somewhere, there's a picture of PWK standing in front of the as-it-then-stood klipschorn II, or Jubilee.  Pretty cool, I thought at the time.  Now Crites markets a 2-way variant of his "cornscala" (is that word still allowed here?🤫)  So, if Crites can do a cornwall clone as a 2-way, I know klipsch could.  Whether they would want to is another question.  I think all the Heritage models could be redone as two-ways without getting away from the PWK spirit of the design.  True enough, many potential buyers would view it as an economizing move, which might be partially true, but I think the goal would be better sound via a simpler crossover.  Didn't Einstein once say that things "should be made as simple as possible but not simpler than possible"?🙂

20 minutes ago, jdmccall said:

Somewhere, there's a picture of PWK standing in front of the as-it-then-stood klipschorn II, or Jubilee.  Pretty cool, I thought at the time.  Now Crites markets a 2-way variant of his "cornscala" (is that word still allowed here?🤫)  So, if Crites can do a cornwall clone as a 2-way, I know klipsch could.  Whether they would want to is another question.  I think all the Heritage models could be redone as two-ways without getting away from the PWK spirit of the design.  True enough, many potential buyers would view it as an economizing move, which might be partially true, but I think the goal would be better sound via a simpler crossover.  Didn't Einstein once say that things "should be made as simple as possible but not simpler than possible"?🙂

you'll be very happy with 3 way Cornwall 4  ------and if they weren't 3 way , they wouldn't sound as good , the best JBL speakers were 4 ways ----more is better -

• Sad 1

On 8/8/2020 at 1:56 AM, jdmccall said:

ooooooops ------3 way

AudioShark Forums

18 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

you'll be very happy with 3 way Cornwall 4  ------and if they weren't 3 way , they wouldn't sound as good , the best JBL speakers were 4 ways ----more is better -

I don't think I've heard any 4-way JBL's.  But then, I don't get out much.  I've always been in the "less is more" camp, personally.  Unless the subject is speakers....or sex (then)...or Cheetos (now).

On 8/8/2020 at 1:56 AM, jdmccall said:

I've said on a time or two....  I think it would be nice if Klipsch would offer some variances....  specifically the LaScala with a choice of HF tops....one with the traditional K401/77 and another with the K510.  Same top, same everythying, just let a buyer make the decision....

To that end, I personally think you could slap that little K510 into something like the Cornwall (presuming it would fit in all dimensions) and take that to a 2-way...  maybe it would sell like yesterday's left-overs....  I don't know.  I just think there is a market there for that improved sound and they already have the parts.....so it's simply putting them together in a different fitted situation (crossover issue not withstanding)

• Like 1