Power conditioner

JoeJoeThe3rd

What would be a good power conditioner/surge protector. Looking for suggestions. Looking to spend not a ridiculous amount and does it really matter if I was to spend a ridiculous amount would I benifit from spending more money. What’s some decent ones for around 100-1000$? Thank you guys! And anything else I would need for my sound system, and good Ideas it wouldn’t hurt ingesting in?

TRIPP LITE are amazing in that regards------------lots of  choices ----------the best option is to take the surge protectors with -------lifetime insurance coverage ------they pay up if the item is damaged by a transient   -----

• Like 1

Whatever brand you choose make sure to ask about transformer hum. Had a Balanced Power conditioner that did work to keep all devices evenly powered through any line current variations but it contributed a very low frequency constant hum from its toroidal transformer. Now I use it for my stained glass devices. I have an Accuphase integrated amp that incorporates a power conditioner and it does not hum. Of course it cost mega$$ too.

After 16 years of enjoying our home theater experience, I've been using a Tripp Lite LCR-2400 Line conditioner in my rack. The first one worked flawlessly for the first 12 years and now the replacement has been equally reliable. Considering it will handle a 20 Amp load and for about $260 (shop around) it's the best bang-for-your-buck, rack mountable bargain out there in my humble opinion.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, picky said:

After 16 years of enjoying our home theater experience, I've been using a Tripp Lite LCR-2400 Line conditioner in my rack. The first one worked flawlessly for the first 12 years and now the replacement has been equally reliable. Considering it will handle a 20 Amp load and for about $260 (shop around) it's the best bang-for-your-buck, rack mountable bargain out there in my humble opinion.

@picky would this be the 240V equivalent of your Tripp Lite LCR-2400?

Tripp Lite 2000W 230V Power Conditioner with Automatic Voltage Regulation: https://www.takealot.com/tripp-lite-2000w-230v-power-conditioner-with-automatic-voltage-r/PLID69338454

I couldn't find a higher power rating or rack mounted version for 240 volt regions. So do you think this will be as good as yours, and do you run your entire system through just one of these? Do you think it will handle my Yamaha A2070 (max power rating of 1200W), my TV (about 105W), and 2 x subs (SPL-150 and 120)? I don't drive this system flat out and my inverter and battery backup power system usually shows a total draw of no more than 350W so I'll be surprised if I hit 1000W at any point in time.

inMotionGraphics:

I would not agree that the unit you have linked is a proper equivalent as that one handles 2000 watts, while mine handles 2400 watts. Yes, I run my entire system through this unit, including my Pioneer Elite Flagship receiver, 75" Samsung screen and my RSW-15 subwoofer. The unit has 12, 110-120 VAC outlets on the rear and 2 on the front. I'm sorry but,  I don't know if they produce a 240 v equivalent.

IMPORTANT: My unit is plugged into a 20-Amp, 110-120 VAC Home Run outlet from the breaker panel that does not share any power with any other outlets.

I'm not certain that you will be able to see the link below because you are in South Africa, but it will take you to the Tripp Lite website and displays the LCR-2400 unit that I own:

https://www.tripplite.com/2400w-120v-3u-rack-mount-power-conditioner-automatic-voltage-regulation-avr-ac-surge-protection-14-outlets~LCR2400

It would seem that the pricing has gone up slightly since I bought mine. NewEgg in the U.S> has it for $289.42 in U.S. Dollars.

Thank you for your detailed response @picky

1 hour ago, picky said:

I would not agree that the unit you have linked is a proper equivalent as that one handles 2000 watts, while mine handles 2400 watts.

Yes, I did see that, but unfortunately they don't seem to have anything higher than 2KW @ 240V, even on their own website, so I was wondering whether the higher voltage enables the equivalent performance at a lower wattage rating, but I don't think it work that way... 🙂 Either way, I'm sure this is enough power for my system in its current form.

1 hour ago, picky said:

IMPORTANT: My unit is plugged into a 20-Amp, 110-120 VAC Home Run outlet from the breaker panel that does not share any power with any other outlets.

Yes, thankfully power isn't an issue in our 240 volt circuits, as we get 3600 Watts from our regular 15 amp circuits. My entire home theater runs off one 15A line, and doesn't come anywhere near maxing it out, although having everything connected to the same line might not be the cleanest power, which is why I'm considering a power conditioner that can do a bit of line filtering at the same time... 🙂

1 hour ago, picky said:

I'm not certain that you will be able to see the link below because you are in South Africa, but it will take you to the Tripp Lite website and displays the LCR-2400 unit that I own:

Yes, I did see this one on Amazon, New Egg and their website, but it won't work for me due to the 120V limitation. So I'll have to give the Tripp Lite 2000W 230V Power Conditioner a try and hope for the best... 😉

Thank you.

Brendon