WOW, 121 dB cleanly.

cdsang

Thats right. And no sub was in this either. I found out my first place of testing was wrong. So I try a better spot and got a 121 dB of clean, peak sound out of my RF-3II series set. And to think I'll be getting the RSW 15 to add to this makes me wonder how many things in my house will fall or just simply rattle. So I am happy with this number and how loud this thing is. I just want more bass. So what do you think? Loud enough? Is this even considered Reference Level?

Well my SPL meter isn't that advanced to say what Hz was playing at what level, but I can tell you I had the bass all the way up. Which I did cut it off before at 90hz and the dB droped by about 4-5. So useing it at full range got 121 dB. By the way this was useing linkin park. So you hear more voice then bass, but it did shake my chest a bit. Of course when I did this test, it wasn't even a full 3 mins. Just long enough to get some numbers. I noticed it started to have problems at 122 dB but wasn't to serious. I'll try to get some numbers after I get my sub to.

With the test I used my PS2 as a CD player and my Yamaha RX-V992 reciver. To plug this I used a Monster Cable Lightspeed 100 optical cable. To connect my speakers I used Monster Cable XP. My SPL meter was the digital version of the radioshack SPL meter. The only thing I can't remember was what song I was playing, just the music group. If I find it, I'll post it here. By the way, I plan on getting a Pioneer Elite DVD player after I get my sub.I think its the DV-45A or I might go up to the DV 47Ai. I can get the 45A for about 500 and the 47Ai for about 800. As for the reciver, I'll wait a bit, but those Pioneer Elites are very attractive.

Were did you measure from, the center of the room or four feet in front of the mains?

I can get those numbers half way into the next room, with bigger numbers closer to the k-horns, bit to ear piercing for me though. Nothing wrong with your output #'s if it still sounds good. ROCK ON DUDE !!

Belive it or not, my first test getting 110 RMS 116 peak was only a few feet from my center. Then I moved back where my mains were pointing. Basicly my sweet spot. That and I had my bass all the way down on my 110 RMS 116 peak test thinking I could get higher numbers by turning down the bass and turing up the volume. So about 6-8 feet from my center the 2nd time around. The keeping the bass up is what helped with this 121 dB peak number. That and my sides pointed at me instead of behind me. So its ironic when i thought i was cheating when really i wasn't. I was useing Dolby Pro Logic at the time. So yes, all 5 speakers were being used. And another thing that helps is my rooms is like 11 by 16 and in an inclosed room at that. That and my door doesn't rattle to to an insulation used because my parents hated my door rattling as much as I did. I bet this helps answer you questions.

cd, excellent. & sounds like you found the peak in the room. when you get that sub you should have some pretty strong bass there. be sure to put the sub in your listening position & crawl around the room to find where the bass sounds strongest/best. probably over in or near a front corner.

Upgrade and fast! 2.gif

My "BIG" microroom is 14*10 and about 6' high(room divided in an lower and upper section)!I have two RF7's(fron and back),a pair of RF5's as second side sourrounds,RC7 center.All this powered by the ATI2505 and 1505 plus seven subwoofers(RSW10,RSW15,Sufire Sig./Mark II/Junior and two Carver KS!) LOL Now if I wanted to blast my system... 14.gif I would destroy my ears and the block.

Movies are physical and heavy metal...ear tearing.Bass heavy music send bass waves across the building. 3.gif

Ah the joys of Klipsch overkill

Hey Ear

Nice seeing you around here. Well I seriosly don't make much money, I would die if I were depending on my buget alone. So far I have spent, well lets see, about $2900 in audio stuff. Also I am only 21 years old. I had to find a job to work around my college stuff. So I actually think I have a pretty good system considering. But sure, I would actually like to have stuff like you have Ears. Besides, sence I still live with my parents( just until i get threw college) I can't have that loud of a system anyway. I am already pushing it to far. Hey Ear, one quick question, whats your peak output on your RSW 15?

Peak output? I can tell you the RSW15 has a peak of around 119-120dB at 80Hz where it really kicks.The sub is cut at 80Hz ,at 31.5Hz it still pounds a solid 116dB in my room.The Sunfire Signature pounds a dB more!And its a few times smaller! LOL Oh the RSW15 sits in my best bass corner of the room where the Mark II was before.In this corner the sub can really shine.A Revel B15 did 124dB!At 31.5Hz,this is painful loud.

Its really incredible what Bob Carver got from such a tiny cabinet with the Sunfire Sig. I wish Bob designed a 15 and 18" Sunfire.It would probably outpound dual SVS Ultras.

At 21 of age I had a cheapo Realistic receiver with Paradigm Atom speakers and a home made "sub".Nothing to write ..home about. LOL Times change and my system improved,a damn whole lot and a second one was added.

OK, just to let you know, I only did this to see how loud they go, its not like I do this often. I useally listen in the 80-100 dB area. By the way, that 121 was peak, not RMS. My SPL meter took the loudest sound it could sence. I got about 116 RMS or averge, so no real worries. If you go by this, its only 64 watts. By the way its 256 watts for 122 dB.

• 1 month later...

If you are asking about the Sony Reference Level for Professional Theaters, it is 121.5 dB at 20 Hz... which is beyond the range of even an overdriven Reference anything... and, obviously, beyond the range of even the finest Klipschorns. Driving the low end of the spectrum to meaningful heights for a fraction of a second is usually all it takes to get every bit of bottom scraping sound out of a Dolby Digital DVD. In my experience, few professional theaters can meet this criterea throughout a theater. But, as someone who owns a reference level HT, I highly recommend it. Although, it does tend to spoil you when your visiting your friends HT or popping into the local theater to catch the latest movie. -HornED

PS: Reference Level is not about blasting your neighbors out of their tranquel respose, it is about being able to hear natural sound and that means the ability to recreate high and low spikes that gives natural sound its live dynamic.