New living room - 5.1 - advice needed

Katzenfutter

Hi!
First: sorry for my english - it isn't my native language. 😜

We are remodel our living room a bit and my 5.1 system can finally move from the small hobby room to the "large" living room! 🤩
I currently have the following components: 1x Klipsch RP-440C (center), 2x Klipsch RP-160M (front), 2x Klipsch R-14S (surround), 1x Klipsch R-112SW (sub).

My idea would be: 1x Klipsch RP-440C (center), 2x Klipsch RP-280F (front), 2x Klipsch RP-160M (surround), 1x Klipsch R-112SW (sub).
So I would upgrade to the RP-280F floorstanding loudspeaker as the front speaker and move the current RP-160M to the rear area.
Would that be a good idea?

I thought of the RP-280F, because I could buy them as a new old stock for about 750 € (pair).
With the RP-280F - my complete Reference Prime Series would match. I don't know, if floorstanding speakers from the "New Reference Prime Series" would match to the other components?
Btw: when I bought the RP-160M, I was also able to hear the RP-280F (or 260F, I'm not sure anymore) and was really impressed from them! :)

How do you rate the positioning of the speakers in my living room?
About the placing of the rear speakers + subwoofer, I'm very unsure - is that good as it is or should I consider something else?
Could the many windows cause problems?

Nothing new has been bought / furnished yet, so the whole thing is just an example and not yet 100% final. (Couch size / shape, ... )
Only the large TV cabinet remains and the dimensions are entered correctly in the plan.
I would like to screw the TV to the back of the wall using a wall bracket and pull it forward / place the center underneath - the surface where the center is placed of is about 47cm high (~ 18,50 inch).

I am basically satisfied with my current R-14S "Dipole surrounds", I like the diffuse sound image very much (e.g. when playing video games and you stand with your back to a waterfall - you really think the entire "real" back wall is a waterfall), but sometimes I really miss clarity / "clearness" from where the sound come.
Unfortunately the sound quality of the R-14S does not match the rest of the system, so the R-14S are necessarily have to leave for something better.
I could of course buy suitable RP-240S or RP-250S, but these would also be at 600 € - 700 € (pair price - new) and that would make a big hole in the budget, which could also be useful elsewhere ... (AVR, TV, couch, ...)

The passage to the balcony is a bit narrow in the model - about 60cm (~23 inch), so dipoles would of course be "better" than the large bookshelf speakers for functionality. But soundwise?

I hope I was able to explain everything clearly (and convertet everything correctly from cm/m² to inch/ft²) and would be very happy about your opinion!

Thanks in advance

living room.png

living.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katzenfutter said:

Hi!
First: sorry for my english - it isn't my native language. 😜

We are remodel our living room a bit and my 5.1 system can finally move from the small hobby room to the "large" living room! 🤩
I currently have the following components: 1x Klipsch RP-440C (center), 2x Klipsch RP-160M (front), 2x Klipsch R-14S (surround), 1x Klipsch R-112SW (sub).

My idea would be: 1x Klipsch RP-440C (center), 2x Klipsch RP-280F (front), 2x Klipsch RP-160M (surround), 1x Klipsch R-112SW (sub).
So I would upgrade to the RP-280F floorstanding loudspeaker as the front speaker and move the current RP-160M to the rear area.
Would that be a good idea?

I thought of the RP-280F, because I could buy them as a new old stock for about 750 € (pair).
With the RP-280F - my complete Reference Prime Series would match. I don't know, if floorstanding speakers from the "New Reference Prime Series" would match to the other components?
Btw: when I bought the RP-160M, I was also able to hear the RP-280F (or 260F, I'm not sure anymore) and was really impressed from them! :)

How do you rate the positioning of the speakers in my living room?
About the placing of the rear speakers + subwoofer, I'm very unsure - is that good as it is or should I consider something else?
Could the many windows cause problems?

Nothing new has been bought / furnished yet, so the whole thing is just an example and not yet 100% final. (Couch size / shape, ... )
Only the large TV cabinet remains and the dimensions are entered correctly in the plan.
I would like to screw the TV to the back of the wall using a wall bracket and pull it forward / place the center underneath - the surface where the center is placed of is about 47cm high (~ 18,50 inch).

I am basically satisfied with my current R-14S "Dipole surrounds", I like the diffuse sound image very much (e.g. when playing video games and you stand with your back to a waterfall - you really think the entire "real" back wall is a waterfall), but sometimes I really miss clarity / "clearness" from where the sound come.
Unfortunately the sound quality of the R-14S does not match the rest of the system, so the R-14S are necessarily have to leave for something better.
I could of course buy suitable RP-240S or RP-250S, but these would also be at 600 € - 700 € (pair price - new) and that would make a big hole in the budget, which could also be useful elsewhere ... (AVR, TV, couch, ...)

The passage to the balcony is a bit narrow in the model - about 60cm (~23 inch), so dipoles would of course be "better" than the large bookshelf speakers for functionality. But soundwise?

I hope I was able to explain everything clearly (and convertet everything correctly from cm/m² to inch/ft²) and would be very happy about your opinion!

Thanks in advance

living room.png

living.png

Think you are on the right track and looking pretty good a a layout. The windows and balcony would really not be a detriment to your plan. Drapery probably helps in any case by diffusing reflection from the front.

Also, may want to play with subwoofer placement, so as to keep from vibration of windows.

You have a decent plan for the 280's, etc. ,etc surrounds. Should blend nicely.

• Like 1

What you say in your first paragraph there is not a good idea. Its a GREAT idea! Pretty solid speaker placement imo, however sub placement is really hard to tell if its done correctly or not. Guess you just have to do some experimenting on that front. Would also recommend a second sub. Always good to cover windows with thicker than usual curtains. Seems like youve given this potential setup some good consideration. So all in all, youve done great.