HIP & other misc builds

MookieStl

25 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Wrong about your subs?  You make me laugh.

The trim looks outstanding.

Don't start laughing yet! high priority on portability, so I will grade on a curve. Speaking of curves. This is the model for this driver using 600 watts (which I already have) in the small ported cabinet I will be building. Lay that curve over a LS and it looks very good (music only). There are also two of these, but they will be trying to keep up with 4 LSi's!

curve.thumb.jpg.9dfa1b5c13ce5db1d3f138d03c58d31c.jpg

2 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

This is the model for this driver using 600 watts (which I already have) in the small ported cabinet I will be building. Lay that curve over a LS and it looks very good (music only).

Music only you say. 

The frequency response won't be the issue and depending on overall playing level output MAY not be a problem.  Your ported subs will simply have more distortion that the horn loaded subs.  The louder you go, the more evident it will be.  I'd be amazed if you didn't hear a difference when comparing the two as you're already familiar with the horn loaded sub sound.  Will the ported ones work?  Absolutely.  Will it make a difference to the casual listener?  Probably not.  Will ported subs be better than no subs at all?  100% yes.

Keep us posted.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Music only you say. 

The frequency response won't be the issue and depending on overall playing level output MAY not be a problem.  Your ported subs will simply have more distortion that the horn loaded subs.  The louder you go, the more evident it will be.  I'd be amazed if you didn't hear a difference when comparing the two as you're already familiar with the horn loaded sub sound.  Will the ported ones work?  Absolutely.  Will it make a difference to the casual listener?  Probably not.  Will ported subs be better than no subs at all?  100% yes.

Keep us posted.

More key variables to be considered:

The audience is typically old men with a certain degree of hearing loss.

We sit about 50 yards away sitting by a bonfire drinking moonshine.

Plus, we have also been drinking all day.

Are you picking up what I am putting down?

We are usually asleep by the time the police find us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

More key variables to be considered:

The audience is typically old men with a certain degree of hearing loss.

We sit about 50 yards away sitting by a bonfire drinking moonshine.

Plus, we have also been drinking all day.

Are you picking up what I am putting down?

We are usually asleep by the time the police find us.

You will fit in fine at SWAG 2, if we ever find a venue for the next one.  Weren't you checking your area?  That way, you can bring your drinking rig to compare to the other ones.  LOL

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

The THTLP is large enough to have tap handles. Hmmm.

Either way, if I go to SWAG, you and your THTLP are going!

Back to HIP:

Welded up on the corners, still need to buff the welds down, but glad I was forced into doing it.

tr.thumb.jpg.c1327d1f01a37dd78e99fa27836a1798.jpg

• Like 2

@MookieStl, really well done, thanks for sharing your build. As a Heresy fan, and looking forward to building a set maybe later this year, it’s great to see this type of amazing work. The capacitors are outstanding especially how they made your coffee mug grow!

• Like 1