HIP & other misc builds

MookieStl

My objective was to make subs that hopefully can keep up with the LSi s and be portable.

I really like these pro drivers and they put out plenty of db's. 

My goal for the portable angle was not too large or awkward and try to keep it under 50#.

Well, two out of three aint bad! These weigh in at 64#!!! The driver is 27# so I thought the wood could be done under 23#ish. Guess I was wrong.

They are sturdy!

@codewritinfool and I had a listening session this morning to try out my new subs and compare to his THTLP.

I knew there would be no loser in this fight as I have heard both, I just wanted to make sure I didn't make a misstep building for portability and straying from my usual go to, horn loaded sub. This shootout proved  my new subs do a great job with the four LSi's as did the THTLP.

I am satisfied with the outcome. The real winner was the LS. They never cease to amaze me. We covered a lot of music in about 3.5 hours and they knocked all genres out of the park. Good time for sure.

IMG_1989.thumb.jpg.7c2f45223cf3782d2eece589c4529d14.jpg

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

thanks

these are Portable , my guess is you could have gone very easily with a bigger cabinet had you wanted ,  the driver is practically 1/2 of the weight of the cab -

1 minute ago, RandyH000 said:

these are Portable , my guess is you could have gone very easily with a bigger cabinet had you wanted ,  the driver is practically 1/2 of the weight of the cab -

driver is 27# these ended up 64#.......I was shooting for 50# ish. ooops

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, MookieStl said:

@codewritinfool and I had a listening session this morning to try out my new subs and compare to his THTLP.

IMG_1989.thumb.jpg.7c2f45223cf3782d2eece589c4529d14.jpg

It was a great time.  The build quality is excellent, though I had one nit with that and we laughed about it - I would have used SpeakOn connectors. 

So for the indoor listening test, I have to be honest, I was pretty astounded at how well @MookieStl's subs performed.  They held up the bottom end really well, easily on par with the THTLP at the volumes we were listening to, which was moderate to quite loud (tough to have a conversation at 30' back).

Those LAB-15's were barely moving.  Way way less than I thought they would in a ported-box design...  even given that the xmax is low, I still expected more travel in that design topology than what I saw for the output we were hearing.

We didn't get a chance to flip everything around and aim it out the dock door and crank it way up, and I even told @MookieStl that that would be the real test - to see how well they can hold up when really tasked with lots of power outside.  He agreed and is planning to do that test soon enough.

code

• Like 2

10 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

It was a great time.  The build quality is excellent, though I had one nit with that and we laughed about it - I would have used SpeakOn connectors. 

code

When Code started down the SpeakOn path and even brought up that they were a product of "Lichtenstein" I figured it was a set up between him and Neil @DizRotus. He assured me it was unrehearsed and no money changed hands, just great minds...blah blah blah.

We did have a good time and gave the system a workout. If it hadn't been relatively early in the morning, I would have put them outside for our ultimate test, but didn't want to Pi** off the Neighbors like we are supposed to. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MookieStl said:

. . . just great minds...blah blah blah.

All those roadies can’t be wrong.  Being able to make solid connections with one hand while blindfolded is priceless.  The Liechtenstein bit is just a conversation starter at parties.

• Like 2

Awesome build Mook, I mean OAF 🤪. Any reason why you didn't design the box to the same dimensions as the scala LF cab like the KP-480's? The 480's are the same dimensions as the LS LF cab and meant for the scala to sit on top of them. I have a set of 480's and have often thought about building a set that extend a little lower in sacrifice of output for smaller sound reinforcement applications. Maybe I missed the dimensions of the boxes but looking at those I bet some HIP's or other smaller heresy pro boxes would benefit greatly from those.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

All those roadies can’t be wrong.  Being able to make solid connections one hand while blindfolded is priceless.  The Liechtenstein bit is just a conversation starter at parties.

Sounds like a great party!!!

I might as well be blindfolded, poor lighting and bifocals, and then if I have to get on my knees, I have to get back up!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, rockhound said:

Awesome build Mook, I mean OAF 🤪. Any reason why you didn't design the box to the same dimensions as the scala LF cab like the KP-480's? The 480's are the same dimensions as the LS LF cab and meant for the scala to sit on top of them. I have a set of 480's and have often thought about building a set that extend a little lower in sacrifice of output for smaller sound reinforcement applications. Maybe I missed the dimensions of the boxes but looking at those I bet some HIP's or other smaller heresy pro boxes would benefit greatly from those.

Still working on possible meaning of OAF!!! Nothing yet!

I didn't want the same size as the LS bass bin as I wanted them less awkward. I hit the volume recommended for "small vented" box on the Eminence suggested cabinet info for this woofer. Final size was 24.5"h x 17.25"w x 15.75" deep. This also made it possible to get both out of one sheet of 4' x 8' 16ply birch that I already had. The front board (to make up the 1.5" motor board) was cut out of other off fall I had in the shop. Bigger is also heavier. 

I really like this size. It was a WAG on weight and portability that worked out even though I went over on the weight. If I built them to bass bin size, I would have also been tempted to lift the LS to put on top. It is hard to design "idiot proof" when you are the idiot. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rockhound said:

Old And Frail....duh LMFAO. Got it on the box really great love it. Hope to hear these in person at some point down the road........

OAF and not real bright! I get it now. I hope you do get to hear them someday. I hope to hear your gear someday as well.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Attempted to have a blow out this weekend with the new subs and 4 LS outdoors but the weather didn't cooperate. 

Due to the forecast, I went down to two LS in case I didn't get a chance to even hook things up. Tried to start Friday afternoon, but the rain showed up and we went into rain delay!

IMG_2030.thumb.jpg.b595b2eb043d90ab4277c2b0c57f3868.jpg

• Like 1

Was just about to give further updates since we did get to cut them loose Saturday night, but then some guy in a Jeep decided to use my truck / mobile soundstage for a launching pad while parked in front of my house. I think it might be toast! (broken axle, leaf springs, differential, drive shaft, transfer case, ........! Funny (not really) but I brought the truck home since my car is in the shop getting fixed from someone hitting it in that exact same parking spot about 6 weeks ago. Been there 32 years and not been hit, now twice in two months. 

j.thumb.jpg.5c43a50a1550cbaee73a27db28a6a997.jpg

• Sad 2

36 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Was just about to give further updates since we did get to cut them loose Saturday night, but then some guy in a Jeep decided to use my truck / mobile soundstage for a launching pad while parked in front of my house. I think it might be toast! (broken axle, leaf springs, differential, drive shaft, transfer case, ........! Funny (not really) but I brought the truck home since my car is in the shop getting fixed from someone hitting it in that exact same parking spot about 6 weeks ago. Been there 32 years and not been hit, now twice in two months. 

j.thumb.jpg.5c43a50a1550cbaee73a27db28a6a997.jpg

whoa, glad nobody got hurt.

• Like 1