HIP & other misc builds

MookieStl

Ok, back to the listening session.

When the rain stopped, we were ready for a jam session out by the bonfire. Setup is about 35-40 yards from speakers to lawn chairs. The project was a huge success. These two subs driven with a crown amp with a bandpass DSP set @ 30 hz and 106 hz were more than capable of keeping up with the LS at very high volume levels. Outdoors and at that distance, you don''t get the punch in gut bass but you do pick up that low end thump. I really think that we used to turn the volume up to try and achieve the thump that just isn't there in LS although they always sounded great. Now with the bottom end filled in, you can listen at lower overall volume and not feel like anything is missing. Don't get me wrong, I have sat at that bonfire with two and sometimes four LS and was very pleased. This just was icing on the cake. May have to find another way to transport these speakers but plan on doing it again soon with four LS and the two subs.....even more icing.

frontview.thumb.jpg.b257eb2d6b30c2b11ec73dea5e670262.jpgbackview.thumb.jpg.0930708069c6e93646a2e6b6c2692e59.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 11:37 AM, CECAA850 said:

If you're playing content around the tuning frequency of the box you won't notice much movement.

The boxes are tuned to 37 hz +/- and the crossover is set at 30 - 106hz. (30 is as low as the amp allows, 25 is what Eminence recommends to "protect your investment") That could explain the lack of movement. (xmax is 11.8mm) There was no lack of spl though.

I know you and Code will probably talk me into folded horn subs someday, but I made it through last weekend without hurting myself, so I am considering it a win as that was my main objective.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MookieStl said:

The boxes are tuned to 37 hz +/- and the crossover is set at 30 - 106hz. (30 is as low as the amp allows, 25 is what Eminence recommends to "protect your investment") That could explain the lack of movement. (xmax is 11.8mm) There was no lack of spl though.

I know you and Code will probably talk me into folded horn subs someday, but I made it through last weekend without hurting myself, so I am considering it a win as that was my main objective.

Roll with what you got.  Sounds perfect.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Roll with what you got.  Sounds perfect.

Yeah, but I will get the itch to build something else and I sure as heck don't need any more speakers!

Will have to wait as we are crazy busy at work and just stared a reno project at my daughters house that will take several months......

On 3/22/2021 at 12:15 PM, MookieStl said:

The easy part is when you do multiples. 

Since you brought it up... how much to cut the pieces and ship them to Chattanooga? Asking for a friend... 😏