HIP & other misc builds

MookieStl

@MookieStl This forum never ceases to amaze me... a piece of trim otherwise destined for the g-file turns into a very nice speaker and may, just may begat a PAIR!  The ability to reuse a piece and make something new and just as good as original is a fine art.  Your carpentry is great too and just plain taking on the project.  I hope you get that donor and can make a pair, whether you keep them or move them along for someone else to enjoy.  Thanks for the thread.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MC39693 said:

@MookieStl This forum never ceases to amaze me... a piece of trim otherwise destined for the g-file turns into a very nice speaker and may, just may begat a PAIR!  The ability to reuse a piece and make something new and just as good as original is a fine art.  Your carpentry is great too and just plain taking on the project.  I hope you get that donor and can make a pair, whether you keep them or move them along for someone else to enjoy.  Thanks for the thread.

thanks

Really hope to make it into a pair. Probably should have built two like @codewritinfool said above. and hoped the trim appears some day.

It's fun either way for me. Just like building stuff.

• Like 1

Also, let me know if you see the trim or beaters with trim for sale on one of the many selling sites that I do not go on.

I check ebay once in a while and never see anything. Never look elsewhere. This stuff usually finds me without me looking around for more things I dont need.

• 2 months later...

OK, I need a winter project so I am going to build a mate for this lonely HIP. I will use aluminum angle to trim it out. It wont match perfectly but will look nice (enough)!

If anyone stumbles on a neglected set of alum trim for and HIP (or LS bass bin) let me know, I would prefer they match.

Also looking for a handle to match. IMG_0968.thumb.jpg.fc26150cfe1418c78c675474fa49a1f6.jpg

• Like 1

@MookieStl, I just missed a PAIR of HIP on local Kijiji, the seller was in a band and wanted ... $50 Cdn.  Missed them, they were gone in a flash.  Dang.

He had no idea what they were worth, and said Oh well, one of the cable ports on the back was broken and he used an alligator clip.  Wow, ok, I can put in a binding post!

About once per year in Calgary, someone posts a set of Heresy for $50 not knowing what they are.  That's three sets I've missed by just a short time for a call.  Oh well, I have 2 pair and wife might object to a 3rd set?

3 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

@MookieStl, I just missed a PAIR of HIP on local Kijiji, the seller was in a band and wanted ... $50 Cdn.  Missed them, they were gone in a flash.  Dang.

He had no idea what they were worth, and said Oh well, one of the cable ports on the back was broken and he used an alligator clip.  Wow, ok, I can put in a binding post!

About once per year in Calgary, someone posts a set of Heresy for $50 not knowing what they are.  That's three sets I've missed by just a short time for a call.  Oh well, I have 2 pair and wife might object to a 3rd set?

This will make my third pair! Along with two pair of LS and two pair of Belles! And misc others (RB 61, KSB 1.1, 2.1 AW525....) It may be time for an intervention. I only stay on this forum to feel (quasi) normal. Some make me look like a slacker.

9 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

I happened across a very nice pair 2 years ago on Canuck Audio, the very first day they were listed and jumped on them.

The only down side was I had to drive to Montreal to pick them up, about 7 hours one way for me.

Glad I did!

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649496667-klipsch-heresy-hip-1979-1980/

38 minutes ago, HPower said:

I happened across a very nice pair 2 years ago on Canuck Audio, the very first day they were listed and jumped on them.

The only down side was I had to drive to Montreal to pick them up, about 7 hours one way for me.

Glad I did!

too bad you had to drive 14 hours---

24 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

too bad you had to drive 14 hours---

Yes it was a lot of driving, but I turned it into a weekend away at my college buddy's family cottage up in the Laurentian Mountains.

Eating, drinking, and comparing the HIPs to his Altec Model 14s.

We all agreed that the HIPs bettered the Altecs. 😎

• Like 1

I've been using the Eminence 12LFA woofer in my last Super Heresy and HIP builds with great results. Just found out they have pushed the backorder to 3/15!! Was due to ship by today. Guess I will have to wait.

Still looking for trim for this one. Can use old beater set from a doner HIP or can modify a set from a bass bin of an LSI! Keep an eye out for me. I am only on this forum and watch ebay. Might be something out there I am missing.

• 2 weeks later...

OK speaker dudes, I got tired of waiting/hoping to find another set of aluminum trim to finish out a "pair" of HIP.

The first one was built cuz I had the trim for one. The second speaker to mate up with that one was in a holding pattern until I got bored and built it on the "if you build it, they will come" philosophy. Today I cut some 1" alum angle to fit and planned to simply bevel the corners. I snapped a few pics.

Now I am curious as to whether I should put a light TIG weld on the bevels only. I can buff the weld down a little to "pretty" it up a bit. What do you guys think? Leave as is, or weld those corners. The only obstacle I see is that I cant weld it while on the cabinet as it would get too hot. If I weld all four corners of the front grid and back grid, they might not fit as snug as attaching each piece separately.

Bevel                                                                                                                               original

d.thumb.jpg.c29a77565bac596731cc8a5dd8d9f0fb.jpge.jpg.6ac37bfe6041fbaa0152d5e75ea09eda.jpg

• Like 1