HIP & other misc builds

MookieStl

On 2/28/2021 at 9:44 AM, MookieStl said:

OK speaker dudes, I got tired of waiting/hoping to find another set of aluminum trim to finish out a "pair" of HIP.

The first one was built cuz I had the trim for one. The second speaker to mate up with that one was in a holding pattern until I got bored and built it on the "if you build it, they will come" philosophy. Today I cut some 1" alum angle to fit and planned to simply bevel the corners. I snapped a few pics.

Now I am curious as to whether I should put a light TIG weld on the bevels only. I can buff the weld down a little to "pretty" it up a bit. What do you guys think? Leave as is, or weld those corners. The only obstacle I see is that I cant weld it while on the cabinet as it would get too hot. If I weld all four corners of the front grid and back grid, they might not fit as snug as attaching each piece separately.

Bevel                                                                                                                               original

d.thumb.jpg.c29a77565bac596731cc8a5dd8d9f0fb.jpge.jpg.6ac37bfe6041fbaa0152d5e75ea09eda.jpg

I think it looks great!  Can you weld up a scrap piece to compare the look to what you already have?  You should have just made 2 of these and then just used the original for a center.  LOL

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

I think it looks great!  Can you weld up a scrap piece to compare the look to what you already have?  You should have just made 2 of these and then just used the original for a center.  LOL

I was only going to build one, then decided on two, now you want three???

It is a fun hobby but is self perpetuating.

I am moving on to a different project after this one, so two will have to do.

I do have scrap that I plan to weld up a corner to see. Went to do it yesterday but no TIG welders were hook up, only MIG. Should be able to get to it today. The TIG weld would be cleaner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Depending on if you weld every seam, it would be impossible to take it apart in the future wouldn't it?

Looks awesome as is.  Recess some screws and move on.

I would only weld the miters, so the front section and the back section. The middle sections would just be but joints not welded. The angle is 1" so the back angle has to come off to get the back of the speaker off. 

I have recessed the screw holes already just waiting on my decision on the weld. I'll post the test piece tonight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

I would only weld the miters, so the front section and the back section. The middle sections would just be but joints not welded.

So some welded, some not.  My OCD would dictate that they all be the same.

2 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

only the corners are welded in the Official version of the HIP (or your LSI splits) Many butt joints.

.e.jpg.6ac37bfe6041fbaa0152d5e75ea09eda.jpg

Yes, I'd do butt joints for everything.

EDIT, I thought the corners were cast as opposed to welded on the factory ones but I could be wrong.

8 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Yes, I'd do butt joints for everything.

EDIT, I thought the corners were cast as opposed to welded on the factory ones but I could be wrong.

they are

I could buff these down smooth to look very similar or leave the raised weld (or not weld at all) 

I have speaker parts lost in the mail currently so no fast track needed. USPS doesn't consider it lost until not scanned for 90 days!!!! great system.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, dtel said:

They look great, always loved the industrial look. 

You could always put a little tac and remove to weld ? Either way they look great.

Definitely tac weld while on to make sure they true up. Not that my cabinets and bevel cuts aren't perfectly square, just cuz that's the way I want to do it. 🤥

Didn't make it out to the shop today, stuck in meetings. I will crank out a sample tomorrow and decide. Once my parts went AWOL, I lost my mojo.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MookieStl said:

Definitely tac weld while on to make sure they true up. Not that my cabinets and bevel cuts aren't perfectly square, just cuz that's the way I want to do it. 🤥

Didn't make it out to the shop today, stuck in meetings. I will crank out a sample tomorrow and decide. Once my parts went AWOL, I lost my mojo.

You didn't lose it, it's just old age and not remembering where you set it down.  LOL

So where is this pair going to live when you're done?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

You didn't lose it, it's just old age and not remembering where you set it down.  LOL

So where is this pair going to live when you're done?

It is definitely an age thing. I have always lost my mojo from time to time, but it would always find it's way back. Now I have to go look for it.

Did you miss the part where I said that I only started this one cuz a was bored and looking for a project? I must of had some idea what to do with them when I started, but don't recall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, MookieStl said:

It is definitely an age thing. I have always lost my mojo from time to time, but it would always find it's way back. Now I have to go look for it.

Did you miss the part where I said that I only started this one cuz a was bored and looking for a project? I must of had some idea what to do with them when I started, but don't recall.

That's funny!  I've built things and then thought......................where the hell am I going to put this.  LOL

19 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

You should have been building a sub.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Pete H said:

That's funny!  I've built things and then thought......................where the hell am I going to put this.  LOL

I put the first one to use as a makeshift center in my basement. I put this ensemble together a little while back, again cuz I was bored and had all the parts and pieces.

It was more fun putting it together than it is using it. I rarely sit still long enough to watch a movie and hardly ever watch any TV. I have watched a few concerts on dvd that were fun, but only a couple times during our negative degree days a few weeks ago. 

ht.thumb.jpg.8edcce6dfc46c77eaa518427041caae5.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

That's what I've been telling him too.

I am starting a sub project very soon. When done, we can set up and compare your THTLP to the ones I do. As much as I enjoyed your speaker (which I plan to give back some day) I wanted something a little easier to move around. I ain't getting any younger and this is for my "mobile" set up. I'm doing two much smaller than the THTLP but together should hold their own.  If your's blows these away, I will have to build one and buy a back brace. I almost dropped yours off the flat bed a couple of times. I wasn't going to tell you, but.....

• Like 1