AA Crossover Replacement

JDR

• Moderators

New

With these in the condition they were in the change was a big difference, anyone could hear it. Depending on how bad yours are will determine how big the change will be.

But original from the 60's, it should make a big difference. imo

How crazy you get with fancy caps is up to you, but "almost" any decent new cap will make a difference. 

speakers after.jpg

Speakers are 60's, afaik, but crossovers are clearly newer, but yes, they still have the old style cans.

and to my ears they sound "harsh", or perhaps very honky or horned ... interferes with the music.  A tube amp helps a bunch, but doesn't solve things.  Normally I run these with a pretty good SS amp (Marantz 1070 or 1060) .

I can solder ... over the years are they all the same values - I mean "as a set" - can I just buy two "AA sets".  My K'horns are really hard to get to, hanging from the ceiling.   I'd like to pull them down just once, repair and put right back up ... opposite, gettng help to pull them down, figure what they are, order, wait, repair, calling  back help to put them back up, meanwhile squeezing around them for a week or more. 

IMG_9113.jpg

Edited by JDR

You can certainly order a "set" for AA networks from Bob Crites if you want to go with Sonicaps.  I personally use other caps, but that's up to you.  You can also order the needed cap values from Parts Express, Sonicraft and other vendors, but they don't come as a "set".    The network schematics are available on this forum.

55 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

You can certainly order a "set" for AA networks from Bob Crites if you want to go with Sonicaps.  I personally use other caps, but that's up to you.  You can also order the needed cap values from Parts Express, Sonicraft and other vendors, but they don't come as a "set".    The network schematics are available on this forum.

Can you steer me towards those schematics?

I need a AA and a Type E

Thanks

1 minute ago, wuzzzer said:

Personally I would dedicate time and energy to proper placement before I started messing with the networks. 

Or at least after the networks are done, place them right

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Personally I would dedicate time and energy to proper placement before I started messing with the networks. 

How would you know from that picture?   OK - the horns are "backwards" - does that make a great difference?  I doubt it ... what else ya got?

(I'm just being awnry, but seriously ..  How would you know from that picture?)

Edited by JDR

4 minutes ago, JDR said:

How would you know from that picture?   OK - the horns are "backwards" - does that make a great difference?  I doubt it ... what else ya got?

(I'm just being awnry, but seriously ..  How would you know from that picture?)

They're on the ceiling.  They belong on the floor.  Unless you're just really messing with our minds. 

On 8/9/2020 at 3:53 PM, JDR said:

Speakers are 60's, afaik, but crossovers are clearly newer, but yes, they still have the old style cans.

and to my ears they sound "harsh", or perhaps very honky or horned ... interferes with the music.  A tube amp helps a bunch, but doesn't solve things.  Normally I run these with a pretty good SS amp (Marantz 1070 or 1060) .

I can solder ... over the years are they all the same values - I mean "as a set" - can I just buy two "AA sets".  My K'horns are really hard to get to, hanging from the ceiling.   I'd like to pull them down just once, repair and put right back up ... opposite, gettng help to pull them down, figure what they are, order, wait, repair, calling  back help to put them back up, meanwhile squeezing around them for a week or more. 

Crossovers are on the forum  , type Crossovers in the search bar  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wuzzzer said:

They're on the ceiling.  They belong on the floor.  Unless you're just really messing with our minds. 

Not messing ... the "deeper sound" is leaving out of a corner.  Tell me why the ceiling - built like the walls - is "worse".  Sure the seal is not as tight, and If I had them right side up, they'd be on concrete, and yea clearly better .. but as they are - show me some science.   My bigger issue by far is the crossover

Full Disclosure:  This is a temporary install - these are going to be relocated in a year or so ... but until then ...  

19 minutes ago, Brac said:

Even when I was young and strong, I wouldn't have wanted to be flipping K-Horns upside down, but sure musically maybe the horn is at ear level and it's well fitted in the corner.... But wow.

I added some supports inside - turnbuckles and wood bracing, "gravity affixed" if you will, to take the load - I too was concerned about the weight reversal 

Edited by JDR
  • Like 2