AA Crossover Replacement

JDR

• Moderators

On the ceiling or the floor as long as there in a corner and the horns are somewhat close to ear level, well not at your knees anyway. The speaker does not know only the owner. 

There was a famous bar that had them just like that in 4 corners, I can't remember who was talking about it.

39 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

the caps are upside down ------- this reduces the operating life -

That's funny.

Me personally, I would just replace the caps and move on. With 50+ year old caps this should be the first priority. 

And new caps do not know which was is up, just saying like the kids say.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

The crossover thread is under the technical/modifications topic on this forum.

BOOM ... thanks ... 

Q:  does T2A have "taps" which can be accessed to adjust the level / attenuating the Squawker?   (love that term) .. having that access would be great for some listening tweaks.

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 7.50.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 7.56.14 PM.png

Edited by JDR

9 minutes ago, dtel said:

And new caps do not know which was is up, just saying like the kids say.

oil cans do ---they can be placed in any position except upside down  , it prevents venting internally and it reduces the operating life , the simple solution is to place them  upright and retest -----

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

oil cans do ---they can be placed in any position except upside down  , it prevents venting internally and it reduces the operating life , the simple solution is to place them  upright and retest -----

I'll be fixing that very soon.  Thanks

• Moderators
4 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Well yea, but with all these opinions if someone would suggest replacing them with oil cans, it might start a war, and should,  I couldn't wait to get rid of those antiques. Those are nasty, I had one that always stayed wet, if they had PCB's I'd probably be dead. :o

10 minutes ago, dtel said:

Well yea, but with all these opinions if someone would suggest replacing them with oil cans, it might start a war, and should,  I couldn't wait to get rid of those antiques. Those are nasty, I had one that always stayed wet, if they had PCB's I'd probably be dead. :o

I saw your recap job ----------looks perfect

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I saw your recap job ----------looks perfect

That was not me, I was looking into what caps to use and I was going to try it, I can slightly solder, but it will not be pretty. A forum member who is not around anymore volunteered to do it, he said he done a few of his and had many parts left over. He said he liked doing it and to just ship it to him, so I did and he sent them back like that. He wouldn't accept anything for doing them and I never heard from him again, but greatly appreciated it.

I could hear the difference immediately, but can't take credit, he even sent the before and after pictures.  His name was Arash i think, but I probably spelled it wrong.

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, billybob said:

Yes, the OP should be careful in any case with toxic material. 

Read an opinion somewhere on

the forum as to no PCB's in some

oilcan capacitor.

In any case, would treat them as toxic if a leak.

Thanks

Mine said NO PCB's on the oil caps, but I don't know if they all were like that ? Like you said, probably wouldn't want to get it on you either way, no telling what's in them, things were different 50 years ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

Mine said NO PCB's on the oil caps, but I don't know if they all were like that ? Like you said, probably wouldn't want to get it on you either way, no telling what's in them, things were different 50 years ago.

My ex was concerned and upset with my drinking a Budweiser in

77 cause of PCB's that may have been in there. Had not gotten that

far in my thinking at that time.

Still drink one at times... Someone said human nature, such as it still is.

Cool

• Moderators

Had no idea Budweiser had a chance to have pcb's in it, could have been what gave it that Budweiser bite. Never liked it, others from the same brand was ok just never like the regular bud, well unless there was nothing else, it was the 70's. Back then I was not thinking that far either, I do remember the paraquat scare but that didn't stop us either. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JDR said:

Q:  does T2A have "taps" which can be accessed to adjust the level / attenuating the Squawker?   (love that term) .. having that access would be great for some listening tweaks.

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 7.56.14 PM.png

Yes, it does have taps. But all the wires on T2A are soldered onto the lugs. A PITA for checking which tap you prefer, but doable, especially after you gain normal access to the backs of those speakers.

Do not believe you can change the taps on autotransformer without changing the value of the 13uf cap. ALK who sells crossovers uses what he calls a swamping resistor to be able to change taps for attenuation. Changing the caps will change the sound of your speakers. Much brighter is the usual response from those that do. Not a big cost to do so why not give it a try and see what you think even if PIA to take down. I really do not see the big problem with speakers upside down on a shelf close to the ceiling. The ceiling will provide the same function as the floor on the bass notes being the bass notes are omnidirectional. 

Edited by henry4841
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

Do not believe you can change the taps on autotransformer without changing the value of the 13uf cap. ALK who sells crossovers uses what he calls a swamping resistor to be able to change taps for attenuation. 

Thanks ... I looked at ALK's site .. didn't look hard but didn't see where he sold individual parts, and I think I'll just do it myself ... did see he's might proud of his work ... but maybe he's fine, and just a grumpy old man like me.   Crites - who's a good guy by all accounts - wants $118 just for a 2-speaker set of AA capacitors

Edited by JDR

23 hours ago, JDR said:

Thanks ... I looked at ALK's site .. didn't look hard but didn't see where he sold individual parts, and I think I'll just do it myself ... did see he's might proud of his work ... but maybe he's fine, and just a grumpy old man like me.   Crites - who's a good guy by all accounts - wants $118 just for a 2-speaker set of AA capacitors

Parts Express sells many brands of capacitors. The ALK simple crossover schematic can be found on the internet with some searching. You can just recap your AA crossovers and just install some L-pads to attenuate the music to your taste. Might be simpler. Unless things have changed at Klipsch they use a lot of Mylar capacitors in their networks. Mylar is a brand name for a polyester cap. Polyester caps are much cheaper than the polypropylene ones and Klipsch must think they are good enough.  

Edited by henry4841
  • Like 1