When does a great sounding system sound good Enough?

Fido

I have a system I think sounds amazing and my wife and I were listening to one of my favorite playlists on Tidal yesterday. Its 9 hours of acoustical covers I have collected over the past 4 months and it often left the hair on my arms standing straight up. I have my late fathers Forte 1s with Crites crossovers and Dave As LMAHL tweeters.A couple of years ago we had some cane grills put together to match our entertainment center. I mostly stream or listen to vinyl on my vintage Dual 1229 turntable. When listening to two channel I play through a Primaluna  evo 400 using a Blueos Node2i and a denefrips dac or my turntable playing thru a Musical Fidelity MX phono stage. The Forte 1s sound fantastic on their own but turn on my large HSU subwoofer and the bottom register makes even the midrange sound WOW! Dave As LMAHL were a major upgrade to the sound of my system.

Having said all that being on this Forum has made me wonder if I might prefer the Forte 3s for what so many people say is exceptional midrange they present. I mentioned them to my wife and she said she thinks our system sounds fantast. She loves our sound system as it is, as do I. The question here is when is GOOD good Enough? It seems very easy to get caught up in spending a lot of time and money trying to wring out that extra 2% of performance when in a few days of listening will still sound great but something you would just settle into as being your new norm. 

I am sure other have thought about this at some point in their audio journey.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Coytee said:

When you have your late fathers speakers in your hands....  you're done....  keep them, enjoy them as you are listening to what he listened to....  keep the connectioin.

Thats great advice - I took my dad to a local high end audio store and we picked out the Fortes together along with some NAD equipment. He had a home on the Beach in Laguna and when we got the stuff home and i set everything up for him he was ecstatic. When his wife came home she freaked out seeing the gear "in her beach cottage" - lol. She hated those speakers so much but he listened to them almost every day for about 20 years. 

I was close with my dad and loved that he enjoyed his music so much. He's been gone for almost 20 years now and of course I miss him just like he warned me I would.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Coytee said:

When you have your late fathers speakers in your hands....  you're done....  keep them, enjoy them as you are listening to what he listened to....  keep the connectioin.

Wish I could. But his health had been deteriorating for such a long time that all of his speakers and other equipment fell into disrepair. I tried to salvage some of it, but ultimately gave up on a lost cause -- some of that vintage stuff just can't be repaired. Broke my heart.

well, both my folks died when I was eight years old and the other adults in the family did whatever they wanted with all of their possessions. So, who knows what all Mom & Pops had.

every once in a while, a relative will give me something that belonged to them. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Coytee said:

That's what got me looking for better his sucked, standard console and not even a good tube one. I have plenty connections with my dad, he was a great father I could only hope to be, but not his stereo. 

6 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

When you feel like spending time on other hobbies. 

Great answer, and just what I was thinking and have done.

• Like 1

Good enough...

NOS Valves NBS Preamp - NOS Valves VRD Magnequest Monoblocks - Pioneer sc85

Klipsch Cornwall - Heresy II Signature - sw115 - La Scala II 70ths

Wyred4Sound DAC 2v2se 10th Anniversary - Oppo UHP203

• 2 weeks later...

For ME.............

It's when I've finally heard so many, many, many systems that are immensely more expensive, and don't reproduce any more of a convincing "image" that "I am there" than what my system does.

At that point, the only thing "better" is the live performance itself - sometimes - you know what I'm talkin' about 😉

3-6 Months down the road , you ''ll want to change your Forte for sure - make for more room , the top of the line is the Palladium , then the Jubilee , then the K-Horn , then the Scala , then the CW4 , then the Forte 3  - then the Forte - then the Heresy ----

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

3-6 Months down the road , you ''ll want to change your Forte for sure - make for more room , the top of the line is the Palladium , then the Jubilee , then the K-Horn , then the Scala , then the CW4 , then the Forte 3  - then the Forte - then the Heresy ----

I have no clue what you are talking about???????????