Problem with Dayton caps?

CECAA850

Well my hearing is pretty bad in the higher range and really did not think anything of it.
Until I seen your post. What I may try is some other brand and hear what happens
I only got the Dayton’s because of the low cost. It’s hard for me to spend a ton of money on some items. But this time I got what I paid for. Let me know what other brands you try and that work like you want them to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

Let me know what other brands you try and that work like you want them to

I've used Audyn plus in the past and loved how they sounded.  I recapped an otherwise stock H2 with them and it's the best I've heard that speaker sound.  I've ordered them for my EV project.

EDIT, last weekend my son in law recapped 6 speakers with Audyn Plus.  No issues whatsoever other than they now are a little clearer than previously.

When I bought my chorus II's I also bought a recap kit from Bob crites. When I opened them up there where dayton caps in xovers so I didn't rebuild them. Now I am thinking I need to rebuild with BC's kit, you guys think it's worth it? Any use for Dayton's if I do rebuild or just throw out, thanks.

I just think maybe Carl got a hold of bad capacitor. I've probably used thousands of these things without a problem or complaint.

Yes, the Audyn Plus is a better capacitor. It's better built and sounds better, but its 800Vdc rating make its a large part that often disqualifies it for most PCB work (at least the kind I do).

ESR changes with dielectric type and frequency. Poly caps are normally in the milliohm range. Polypropylene is lower than Polyester, and electrolytics measure quite high.

esr.png

7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

So what should the ideal ESR be on a cap?  Close to 0?

Of course it will be completely academic since you are getting the Audyn caps, but it would be really interesting to compare the ESR on your stock caps with the Dayton caps.  If you want to bring them to the SWAG, I'll bring my ESR meter.

10 hours ago, Lbk said:

When I bought my chorus II's I also bought a recap kit from Bob crites. When I opened them up there where dayton caps in xovers so I didn't rebuild them. Now I am thinking I need to rebuild with BC's kit, you guys think it's worth it? Any use for Dayton's if I do rebuild or just throw out, thanks.

it would be interesting to hear your thoughts of the difference if any.

8 hours ago, Seadog said:

Of course it will be completely academic since you are getting the Audyn caps, but it would be really interesting to compare the ESR on your stock caps with the Dayton caps.  If you want to bring them to the SWAG, I'll bring my ESR meter.

I can bring unused Daytons as well.  The ones that were going in the other cab.

9 hours ago, Seadog said:

What ESR meter are you using?  I would like to get one, but I don't want to spend hundreds, considering it will only be used for the occasional audio project. 

Dayton does make caps and from what I found many years ago is Bennic makes them. Many on this forum like those expensive PIO caps which as a rule do not measure great but sound good to many. Find and use what sounds good to you within your price range. If one just chases numbers they may not end up with what sounds best to them. ESR meters are just a tool. Many new capacitors will have readings in the 1 or 2 range but are perfectly good for what they are designed for.  

22 minutes ago, Pete H said:

What ESR meter are you using?  I would like to get one, but I don't want to spend hundreds, considering it will only be used for the occasional audio project. 

It is the Signstek MESR-100 V2.  They are around $70 on Amazon now.  It uses 100kHz to measure ESR.

It may be on the low end of the electronic measurement equipment spectrum, but I have used it successfully to sort through caps to identify the obviously failing or defective ones that went to the trash.  It also seems to discern slight differences within a lot of identical "good" caps, and it will do in-circuit testing for capacitance and ESR.

https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-MESR-100-Ranging-Circuit-Capacitor/dp/B00GYSFOM6

5 minutes ago, Seadog said:

It is the Signstek MESR-100 V2.  They are around $70 on Amazon now.  It uses 100kHz to measure ESR.

It may be on the low end of the electronic measurement equipment spectrum, but I have used it successfully to sort through caps to identify the obviously failing or defective ones that went to the trash.  It also seems to discern slight differences within a lot of identical "good" caps, and it will do in-circuit testing for capacitance and ESR.

https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-MESR-100-Ranging-Circuit-Capacitor/dp/B00GYSFOM6

That's one that I was considering.  Glad to know that it's been doing it's job for you.

52 minutes ago, Seadog said:

Nice that you don't have to take the caps out to test.

49 minutes ago, Ljk said:

Thread has me curious, I post my results,  

I'm looking forward to it.  If your highs are cut then that would be 3 of us.  If not then maybe a couple of us got bad caps.

Do one speaker at a time and compare them using your pre's balance knob if you have one.

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Nice that you don't have to take the caps out to test.

It applies something like 15mV DC to the capacitor so it will not affect ICs and other sensitive components in a circuit board.  Not particularly a concern for crossover networks, but great for trouble shooting failed circuit boards.

ESR is right and you need a meter that can measure this. I have had a number of old caps that measure within tolerance for UF but were high ESR and some of those high ESR crossovers sounded pretty sour. I have a good Fluke multimeter that claims to measure UF and it does I suppose. Not very well though and I trust the B&K 885 which rarely agrees with the Fluke.

20 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

I used Dayton’s in my Klipsch H1’s and have the very same problem, and yes I did Measure the ESR as I have a ESR meter. and I tested to make sure they were within specs. They are the +/ -10% and they were within 2%
And I’ve lost a lot of my highs and some of the mids as well

OK what was the ESR measurement and what meter did you use? I only see 5% and 1% Dayton's at PE with poly caps. Those junky electrolytics are 10% but I never use those.