Subs with Cornwalls...Worth It?

jdmccall

In '07 I used the same two Velodyne subs with LS2's.  They really needed the help. 

In '98 I didn't have subs but the AK3 k-horns didn't seem to mind.

Way back in '85, my first cornwalls had all the bass a callow young audiofool could want.

But today, I know cornwalls don't really go all that low for a big speaker (although 34Hz ain't too shabby).  But my old cornwalls peaked in the 60-70hz range, dropping pretty quickly to the point they were effectively done by 40Hz...in my room.

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

Or give the Cornwalls to me. I'll come pick them up. :)

You are closer to them than me.  They''re sitting on a trailer somewhere in StL.  Supposedly they'll get down in my neck of the woods Thursday but I'll believe it when I see them.

13 minutes ago, jdmccall said:

You are closer to them than me.  They''re sitting on a trailer somewhere in StL.

I guess I'll just have to wave to them as they pass by. 

I'm a bit envious. I really liked them when I heard them in Hope.

• Like 1

I am curious about this too. Although I think the bass of the CW IV is superb as far as pitch definition and control, it would be nice to get a little more depth on some material. My question is this. Does Klipsch make a decent sub for two channel music. I don't want to buy some over rated home theater type sub, have no use for that. I was thinking a sealed Rhythmik 12' or 15'. Any recommendations? 

Shakey

I love my Forte speakers but I realize the system sounds so much better because of the HSU Subwoofer I have playing along with them. Even though people say the the Fortes have good bass I find that those lower two octaves make everything sound so much better. My HSU sub sounds fantastic but its really what feeling the music and the increase in mid base clarity and punch that having a subwoofer adds to the entire equation. Feeling the music is so important because at a live musical event you feel the music.Its awesome to have a similar experience in your home listening space and I could never imagine having a stereo without the lower octaves shining thru. Shakey is right when he said adding depth to some material but add to that that almost all music sounds better to me when you have a sub to underly everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

I have found a used SVS SB16 Ultra nearby. Looks like the business! I might consider this one.

Shakey

I would consider one of these. You can fine tune the DSP with the phone APP from your preferred sitting area.

• 5 weeks later...

In my opinion/experience......a good, properly dialed in sub is ALWAYS worth it.

Even if your speakers go lower than 30hz the added headroom/impact not only improves higher volumes but lower volumes just as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 3:14 PM, Shakeydeal said:

I just wanted to revive this thread to say that I purchased an Hsu VTF-15 II to pair with my cornwalls. Hope to have it in a week or so and I’ll report back.

Oz

That beast ought to do your Cornwalls proud!  Of course, now you'll have to add a 2nd sub!😁😎😵