Opinions on La Scala upgrades for home theater use

I’ve been reading many threads for months and I think I’m ready to ask for some opinions. 

I have 3 pairs of La Scalas, early 80s (might be older, need to check stamped number) with a type AA network, 85s with AL and 92s with AL3. The AA networks have had capacitors replaced. I want to use three speakers as left, center, right In my home theater. I’m currently using the 92s as L/R.  

I’m trying to determine if I should upgrade to Crites tweeters on 3, recap the networks and use -or-

upgrade to Crites tweeters and replace with Crites 4500 crossovers -or-

upgrade to Crites tweeters and replace with ALK universals. 

Any thoughts as to which might be best for primary use as L C R in a home theater?  

Just make the front 3 match.  A good horn on a B&C DE120 is a smooth, silky tweeter and I like that much better than a K-77-M speaking through a hole.  The AL-3 is a pretty good network.  ALK Universals runs the tweeters hot; too much for my ears.  With K-55-Ms, or solder terminal -Vs, you don't need to lower the crossover point for the tweeter. 

If your speakers sound polite, or reserved/laid back, you probably need new capacitors.  Otherwise, convert one of your ALs to an AL-3. 

4 hours ago, RollingBbqSmoke said:

I’ve been reading many threads for months and I think I’m ready to ask for some opinions. 

I have 3 pairs of La Scalas, early 80s (might be older, need to check stamped number) with a type AA network, 85s with AL and 92s with AL3. The AA networks have had capacitors replaced.

how do you like the AL --------

I would recommend going to 4500hz crites mod with crites tweets......or just going with type A crossovers if you want to keep it cheaper and simple.  I have done the 4500HZ mod on my K-horns and just went with type A on my Scalas. You going to do the mods yourself??? Or have Crites build them for you??? Type A crossover is simple to build. My Type A is not pretty but works perfect. I did change the Inductor on my Khorns on the 4500HZ mod. IMAG0407.thumb.jpg.5473353379dc3c66183825204eea80e1.jpg IMAG0481.thumb.jpg.d2324b9d726b55b64b019bc4ed8eff3b.jpg

Stop calling those upgrades because thery aren't update is a better term.  If you want a true upgrade in performance you want DeanG's or ALK networks.  If you change the tweeter it will alter that Klipsch sound.  Been there, done that.  I run a trio of La Scala's up front with Cornwall's and Heresy HIP's in the rear.  I have scaled down over the years had four Klipschorn's, a La Scala and Belle's at one point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JohnA said:

Just make the front 3 match.  A good horn on a B&C DE120 is a smooth, silky tweeter and I like that much better than a K-77-M speaking through a hole.  The AL-3 is a pretty good network.  ALK Universals runs the tweeters hot; too much for my ears.  With K-55-Ms, or solder terminal -Vs, you don't need to lower the crossover point for the tweeter. 

Thank you for your inputs. My ultimate challenge was to ensure front 3 match given different years/networks. 

6 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

how do you like the AL --------

The ALs seem to be a little dull, but there are two factors influencing this.  One is that the caps are original, I suspect the sound will improve a lot with new caps. Also, they are in my workshop and that isn’t the best acoustic environment to assess performance. The speakers with the caps were in the same location and sounded more balanced. I have a little work to do to make sure all networks and drivers are performing correctly. 

First of all, put updated AA networks in place of the AL.  Secondly, depending on your budget, you can find and install better capacitors than the Sonicaps.  I am currently using either Jantzen, Audiocap PPT Theta, or ClarityCaps.  The cap change is very straightforward.  JMHO of course.  Nice project, have fun.

I have the ALK's in my mains and Dean's hot-rodded network in my center because I wanted the vocal focus to be greater on the center.  I also use a K-43 versus a K-33 in the center to improve soundtrack intelligibility the cone is stiffer albeilt a small loss in bass response but what do I care with three Velodyne Servo's to back them up.

ALK Univeral.JPG

DHA-2 Custom La Scala Network.jpg

Why not go active? A friend of mine is using my old La Scala bass bins with EV horns and drivers as 2ways in his home theater and they sound great. He is doing it the budget way with MINIDSP 2x4s, but you could go with a 3x6 crossover if you want to stick with a 3 way.

You could also get the B&C 2 way compression driver, and then go with a 2x4 active crossover.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk