AK3 crossover recaped

vincentq

well obviously as one tweeter was dead and that most of the caps were out of original specification because too old.......I can say that now my Khorns are working correctly.

I am now using them to see slowly how they can fit at the best in the room and also maybe waiting a bit for the caps running in....

Are you concerned about the monster cable starting to corrode internally?  I had Khorns of that generation and the monster cable eventually turned green with considerable internal corrosion.  You can see yours have started that situation. 

• Like 2

@ mark1101

it is very very small and only at the beginning of the cable where there maybe a slight oxygenation  the plastic of all the cable  is strong...so no I do not have that problem.

This problem is happening when the cable plastique protection is falling apart....it is not my case.

On 8/14/2020 at 5:37 PM, vincentq said:

@ mark1101

it is very very small and only at the beginning of the cable where there maybe a slight oxygenation 

@mark1101 gave you the right advice as far as corrosion in this type of cable , it's not if , but when ? 

Well I had the same situation  on other monster cable I  used to connect other speakers and it never went further...so as it is only a very tiny portion close to the end and as the conection is just perfect...i will not touch anything yet. I do not think this is a problem.

My wire in fine all the long.

well you all seems very anxious about that.....

If the soldering is properly done as I am sure it was well done at the factory....there must not be any corrosion......so the connection is just fine      no ?

BY the way what cable did you choose to make the replacement ?

1 hour ago, vincentq said:

....there must not be any corrosion......so the connection is just fine      no ?

You can actually see it in your pictures.  It's a reaction between the copper and the insulation.

52 minutes ago, Blvdre said:

No, corrosion is not just superficial; it degrades the conductor. Cut the corroded ends off and resolder your connections.

Use the same wire as mentioned and just cut the corroded section off.  If you really want to replace it just look for OFC copper wire of the same gauge.

Was looking for an old post from DJK about this. All of early Monster stuff suffered from this problem. It’s caused by the off-gassing of the chlorine in the jacket and the chemical reaction causes corrosion. It’s just not green, it’s gooey/sticky. Dennis said it effects all of the copper in the cable and stripping it back doesn’t save it. He also said it contaminates any soldering you do with it.  

well was is the most important think about these Khorn ????

It is that the sound is now getting much better....

Is it the  caps running ????

Is me enjoying them more and more ????

I do not know but I am not changing anything more for the moment.....I will just appreciate them.....

Until...................who knows.............we will see.......

Cheers to you all.