SWAG is on like Donkey Kong.

On 9/23/2020 at 10:18 PM, Ceptorman said:

Will any of you all be there this weekend? My whole plans for the next month just changed. I might be able to get away now, late Friday or Saturday would be the earliest I could get there. Just to stop in and say "Hey"...

Yes, and for sure, if you can get away you should come down.  The place is huge.

On 9/23/2020 at 10:12 PM, rockhound said:

P.S. when using GPS apps for directions use google maps failure to do so will put you hearing banjos. Ask Pete and Carl.

I can attest to that, but a friend would have carefully calculated the route and mileage, told me which side of the road it was on, look for the sign that isn't lighted, it's not on a red dirt road, you know, some useful information. 

On 9/23/2020 at 10:38 PM, richieb said:

- I bet they didn’t mind that - sorry Pete. 

Full disclosure, this has been the road trip from hell, which usually doesn't happen to me, so, here's how it went.  Altered plans due to Beta and left a day later than expected, forgot to pick up @MookieStl and about 10 miles into Kentucky, pulled over in the rest area and started the bourbon search, called ahead and was told they had everything, including Weller 12 and it was only 5 miles away, but I had to exit off and head back North a few miles to get to the liquor store, no problem, except I'm dragging a trailer and thought I was going to rip the jack off (yes, I said jack off), because the parking lot was tiny and pretty big grade changes, but hell, they have Weller 12........................not, lying bastard$.  Get back on the interstate, no big deal, but in the 15 minutes it took me, there was a major accident, just past the rest area I stopped at, 3 tractor trailers and 1.5 hrs later and I'm on the road again, but not going to make it to Memphis, so I'll push and at least make it to Nashville. 

I stopped at no less than 5 other liquor stores only to confirm that those bastard$ in KY that own the stores don't have actual bourbons that I'm looking for, and if they did, they charge 2,3, even 4x's the normal price................but one nice fellow let me know that the pappy and weller release was postponed until October and I could come back then, right, bastard$. It's all good, don't care and onto Nashville, where I try to rip the jack off a few more times because it's a poor design with horrible clearance, but they gave me a great deal, since mine hasn't been built yet and it's a rental, so, "drag it like you stole it".  Get to the West side of Nashville, so I don't have to fight traffic in the morning and check into a Hampton, cause you know, if you stay there 100 times you get a free night stay next to a liquor store that might get the bourbon you're looking for and only charge you 4x's the price, anyway, I had pulled up the rate on my phone, $87, fine, same rate I'm paying in Hope but the girl behind the desk, must  be related to the people that own KY liquor stores and lets me know, because I'm an honors member that she can get me a room, in the her fine hotel, that is 20% full, for a great rate of of $129, bitc*, out to get my phone because I had to show her the rate I pulled up minutes before, I did and she told me to get that rate, I need to book it on my phone and pay for it that way..........................bitc*, I said, "that's pretty stupid and I know you can do an exception and change it yourself"  so $97 it was.  LOL

Yes, another paragraph, but I have to get all of this out now, although it's going to be better after bourbon for sure.  I go to park "the rig", and of course, out of all the Hampton's I've stayed at over the years in 10 or more states, you can't pull around this one................the bastard$ put trees on the rear of the hotel instead and now, if not for my trailering prowess, a hole lot of swearing  I get to back the thing out around corners because there was no other way.  I'm out, great, then realizing I just over payed for a room that I might have to park 500 yards away and walk.  I did get it maneuvered around and put it in so that nobody could be a dumb *** and park me in.  ( one small success)  Realize, I forgot my My Pillow, I'm really hungry so Waffle House and coffee sounded great................................didn't really sleep all that much, should have done Waffle House and bourbon.

We're not done yet.   Pulled up the weather this morning and found out that Beta decided to move a bit North than had been projected and seemed to put I-40 in the center of the rain from Hope to Nashville, great, I really wanted to go to Dave's and check out his gear (not junk), but this could be a long drive and if the rain gets to heavy, I'll just stop and get a room I thought, so back in the truck, and I'll check out a few liquor stores in the area and look for a specific Belle Meade that Carl sent me a picture of.  I first went to Publix, right across the street, pretty flat and a big parking lot, great, except it's not a liquor store, just beer and wine......................yes, lying bastard$, but they did send me to a great store about a mile away that the prices were amazing, huge selection, except for anything that's made at Buffalo Trace, including Weller, but there it is, the Belle Meade that Carl said I should look for.  Today, was going to be a great day indeed.  Snapped a pic, sent it to Carl to show him the my score, and his text back, well it's close, fuc&!  I should have looked a little closer at the picture, but hey, he also said it should be good, so still a decent day, and on the road I go.  

That's all for tonight, but there's more, much more.  I'll finalize the adventure tomorrow when I realize someone stole the trailer with my gear in it.

9.30.2020  Part Deux:

I get on the interstate, headed for Hope, with plenty of time to deal with a little rain and make it an easy day, it's about 10AM and I should easily get to Hope around 5 including stopping for gas ever 200 miles because the truck never gets great mileage, but you can hear it pumping through the injectors dragging a trailer.  Light rain for about an hour, extremely heavy truck traffic with the usual idiots pissing with there phones, makeup, or reading a book (yes, observed a couple of them), but no big deal, and averaging about 72MPH, and then the rain gets heavy and steady so I decide to pull off, take a 15-20 minute break, gas up, get some food and walk around a little, so by the third non functioning gas pump (maneuvering around with the trailer from pump to pump) and going into the store, since none of them want to take my card properly, or reset to try again, I go in, hit the head and come out to a line of people that had to be 20 deep at the register, screw that, no food, no gas and don't care, I'm getting back on the road and have a 5 gallon container of gas in the bed of the truck, so I'm fine.  

Pouring and traffic still heavy, and I'm about 30 miles from Memphis and determined to hit the Arkansas line prior to stopping again...............that didn't work out as planned either.  Through the pouring rain and massive amounts of spray coming off all the trucks, I can still make out the brake lights coming up, surely, this can't be another delay, but alas, another 1.5 hour stoppage due to an accident...............low fuel light has been on for a while, but still good, but I need to find an exit pretty quick. 

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Will any of you all be there this weekend? My whole plans for the next month just changed. I might be able to get away now, late Friday or Saturday would be the earliest I could get there. Just to stop in and say "Hey"...

I'll be there through Sunday

• Like 1

Well my story is turning out like Pete's. I have a customer who I have worked for since the mid 90's have a must fix set of parts for a donut dropper machine for a Chicago customer of his that has to be done today. I am really going to  try to get there sometime today but it all depends right now on how quickly I can get this mess done. Outside of making speaker parts he is my biggest remaining customer for machining and welding since I have run the rest off in semi retirement and I have to take care of him before fun. Update later today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

Well my story is turning out like Pete's. I have a customer who I have worked for since the mid 90's have a must fix set of parts for a donut dropper machine for a Chicago customer of his that has to be done today. I am really going to  try to get there sometime today but it all depends right now on how quickly I can get this mess done. Outside of making speaker parts he is my biggest remaining customer for machining and welding since I have run the rest off in semi retirement and I have to take care of him before fun. Update later today.

See you when you get here then.

Well, after some electrical and cable issues, we did get in hours of great listening switching between, EV's, Split LSI's, 3 way Mini punch's, 396's and the devastator.  All the speakers are set up outside and today, all driven with Carl's ATI amp which sounded great.  I'm sure you will see some pics that others took with the setup, and had a great day.  Time for a little evening socializing and maybe and adult beverage or 3.  @Thaddeus Smith we're sorry it didn't work out too, and that applies to so many that would have been here in April.  Strange times indeed, but great to see everyone that has made the journey.

• Like 11

18 hours ago, Pete H said:

Well, after some electrical and cable issues, we did get in hours of great listening switching between, EV's, Split LSI's, 3 way Mini punch's, 396's and the devastator.  All the speakers are set up outside and today, all driven with Carl's ATI amp which sounded great.  I'm sure you will see some pics that others took with the setup, and had a great day.  Time for a little evening socializing and maybe and adult beverage or 3.  @Thaddeus Smith we're sorry it didn't work out too, and that applies to so many that would have been here in April.  Strange times indeed, but great to see everyone that has made the journey.

I warned you not to let Carl mess with those cables after his third bourbon!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Tarheel said:

I warned you not to let Carl mess with those cables after his third bourbon!

Hopefully, when they come to, we will get a report. Best speakers, best amplification, best sub, best bourbon, which one wore the skirt.......important stuff.

Wonder if they had an honorary Beeker this year? I have my pick.

• Haha 1

The 1st SWAG is history, but what a great time.

Except for the audio gremlins, the cattle in neighboring pastures, and a stray dog, the photo below from Saturday afternoon includes everyone who attended.

SWAG-bunch.jpg

L to R: Kirby,  Babadono, Ceptorman, Seadog, PeteH, Rockhound, Rockhound's son, Cecaa850.

• Like 10