SWAG is on like Donkey Kong.

Didn’t have much swagger left when I got home last night from SWAG, but what an awesome weekend of friends and great audio. The venue was perfect and I want to thank all the guys who put the hard work into making it happen...really happen!! Topped off the weekend with a day on Lake Greeson north of Hope which was great. Already looking forward to next year!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

Huge difference between meeting people and getting to know them, it's my kind of party when you really get to develop relationships with people that will grow over time, and this was certainly that, for those that I had met, but now I've started to get to know.  

So true Pete.  The nature of this type of gathering of folks with a passion for great audio reproduction, with no other agendas or scheduled events, allowed us to focus on music and gear and socializing and getting to further build those friendships.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MookieStl said:

This hobby is based on music reproduction. What music did you fun dudes listen to? Where there any favorites? Real system tester???

We listened to about every musical genre.  The Telarc SACD of the Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture about made the 15" drivers jump out of the EV cabinets when the cannons fired.  That was impressive. 

Saturday night, we set up a 42" monitor and played the first 4 or 5 tracks on the AC/DC Live at Donnington concert DVD at concert SPLs.  A little hard to see the screen from 40 ft back LOL, but it sounded great.

20200926-192031.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pete H said:

As someone that has had, built and listened to 10x the speakers that I have, did your impressions align with mine?  You may have posted that in another thread, but if you did, I did not see it.

As a philosophical conclusion to all my experiences in over 50 years of speaker building, starting in my pre-teens, I have consistently said: "The bigger the horn, the better the horn."

So yes, having a 9 foot long bass horn coupled to a K-402/K1132 with Roy's new phase plug, and using Klipsch K43 driver in that huge horn, presented no surprises to me when I finally heard them. It worked just as I had predicted and is some of the best sound I've ever heard besides my own systems. It's perfect for that huge pole barn of Dave's. My only comment to him was that his amplifiers have way more Watts than he will ever need.  On the plus side, he does have what I call "topless headroom," which begs for a joke about female mammary gland size, I heard from Artto, but that's another one for another time. LOL.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

So did the trailer get stolen or what? You left us with a cliffhanger a few nights ago..

No, and I will go back and edit the travel adventure so it's completed.  No internet at the hotel for a couple days and haven't had time to sit down and finish it, but I will.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Pete , what 's in the Mini-Punch as far as woofers and what is the XO you are using -

Eminience Delta 12 LFA if I'm not mistaken.  I'm going to be pulling the rear off and I will check to make sure that is correct.  I'm currently using a set of crossovers that Dean had built for me to service the split cornscala's, but they do great with the mini rig as well.  i have also run them in a 2 way active.

7 hours ago, Seadog said:

We listened to about every musical genre.  The Telarc SACD of the Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture about made the 15" drivers jump out of the EV cabinets when the cannons fired.  That was impressive. 

Saturday night, we set up a 42" monitor and played the first 4 or 5 tracks on the AC/DC Live at Donnington concert DVD at concert SPLs.  A little hard to see the screen from 40 ft back LOL, but it sounded great.

That covers a lot of ground Tchaikovsky - AC/DC!!

Anything in between that just stood out being played through those wonderful speakers - Outside!

I am heading out to the wilderness this weekend with a small flatbed full of speakers and was looking for something to add to my playlist. Something a handful of sixty something guys would appreciate.

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Village People???

It's my turn to be the Indian!! Cant Wait

I was waiting for the Marie Osmond suggestions. Didn't see the village people comment coming.

My kids refer to these excursions as my "Brokeback Mountain Weekends".

I have four LSI's loaded up ready to go and will add a folded horn sub to the mix for the first time. That should pin my feathers back!

7 hours ago, Seadog said:

20200926-192031.jpg

The "Cannons" were impressive, so was watching four 15" drivers bouncing about 2". It really did sound fantastic. Kirby even played some newer music, Cage the Elephant. I'm not sure if Eric liked side one of 2112 by Rush 😁 But most of the music choices were like by all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

As a philosophical conclusion to all my experiences in over 50 years of speaker building, starting in my pre-teens, I have consistently said: "The bigger the horn, the better the horn."

So yes, having a 9 foot long bass horn coupled to a K-402/K1132 with Roy's new phase plug, and using Klipsch K43 driver in that huge horn, presented no surprises to me when I finally heard them. It worked just as I had predicted and is some of the best sound I've ever heard besides my own systems. It's perfect for that huge pole barn of Dave's. My only comment to him was that his amplifiers have way more Watts than he will ever need.  On the plus side, he does have what I call "topless headroom," which begs for a joke about female mammary gland size, I heard from Artto, but that's another one for another time. LOL.

Claude, you know the dude with the biggest horn wins ;-D

9 minutes ago, richieb said:

So to all the SWAGGER’S - opinions on the EV’s? And I understand the apples/oranges to the industrial LS but maybe a general comparison of those two - no sub used 

This may sound a little odd but the differences between all the speakers was subtle at best, at least to me.  No apples and oranges which surprised me.  The bass on the EV's wasn't as tight as the LSI's or mini punches but was a bit more tactile.  Clarity was great on the EV's especially with vocals but minis' and LSI's had a bit more sparkle.  LSI's wewre extremely good at detail and nuance.  You could hear everything.  Minis were no slouch in that regard either as both sets of speakers had MAHLs.  Honestly, I could be happy with any of the 3 sets and fortunately I own 2 of the 3:wink:.

My review would have been no doubt different if they were listened to without a sub but personally I never listen to any of my systems without one.  Others may have different opinions than mine however and they'll be just as valid.

• Like 2