Resisting Temptation

joessportster

So what do you do to RESIST TEMPTATION 😈 

I swear I have an addiction to looking for and buying AUDIO, I tell myself its better than using DRUGS and ALCOHOL.................But I can see the Debt associated with going overboard, (Not that I would ever go overboard 😏)  Our house is paid for as in no mortgage, Credit cards are all paid off except for 1, Have a tractor and wifes van pmt. I have all the bills paid in advance and I struggle with the very thought of buying anything further. I continuously look for a reason to buy and then strive to find a reason not to buy .

Heres an example. I am currently running a single driver Open Baffle speaker that comes in at 100DB Eff. For an amp I am using a Will Vincent Dynaco ST70, Pre-amp I am using mainly my VTA SP-14, Source is PC based with Altmann Attraction DAC. It plays nicely at lower volumes it has great impact when you want it, Bass is such that any more and it would be boomy. All in All a Damn nice sounding setup I dare say its as good as I have heard. (thats a bold statement as I have heard a LOT of gear) When I am listening I can get completely content

Yet I find myself LUSTING after these (https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649643578-dynaco-mk-iii-by-will-vincent-perfect/) I swear I have looked at them 40 times over the past week They are a beautiful construction. Frankly they are OVERPRICED IMHO but I still want them. I know the excess gain could induce noise in the HE drivers, (A Bad Thing) I have owned MK III Monos before, while they are good amps they are not great amps. I know the added power would provide better headroom and the bass would certainly improve. But to what end ?

Its a sickness I tell you. This audio Bug. We need to find an extermination method.  I went 5 years using only headphones after my injury and subsequent surgeries, I thought I was cured

I hope its clear most of this is in jest, I am bored and needed to hear what others do to RESIST

• Haha 2

I won't be much help, Joe, since I recently sucommed to my desire for some 362s and a 215. I think the last audio gear that I resisted was a pair of Tenor monoblocks, and I wish I'd bought them. I need amps just as much as I need speakers, but the lust must some day be satisfied. Now, wasn't that helpful?

SSH

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've done a pretty good job avoiding this.

Went as big as I could afford. 

LaScalas.  I have been eyeing a better amp.  But, about anything better than my vintage H/K would cost more than I have in the whole  "Two speakers and an amp". Fiscal responsibility keeps me from going with upgrades. Seems like anything of significant improvement leads me to Jubes and, and, and ....

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, joessportster said:

Its a sickness I tell you. This audio Bug. We need to find an extermination method.  I went 5 years using only headphones after my injury and subsequent surgeries, I thought I was cured

I hope its clear most of this is in jest, I am bored and needed to hear what others do to RESIST

I just look at my checkbook :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I guess the upside to no longer buying/selling is that you avoid all those shitty customer service experiences and sales transactions you seem to attract.

I also seem to attract A$$ Holes with apparently nothing better to do than wait for an opportunity to act like an A$$ Hole, another great example of that grace you so proudly profess to extend.................I think you are full of Shit.  But that's just me.  Perhaps we can carry on with the good nature of the thread before being rudely interrupted

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, veloceleste said:

From reading your posts and ads, I would say (and feel free to correct me) that you like to experiment with different gear but are not a collector.   That is my modus operandi. My purchases/sales amounts have to zero out or be to the plus side whether I keep something or not. I am not a flipper although in the past I have done my share of flipping but always tried to add value to whatever I was selling. I'm to the point now with my system that I don't know how I could make it better without significant outlays of money that I'm not willing to spend and I've come to realize different isn't necessarily better. The chase/hunt is always more fun than the acquisition/kill. 

To some degree you are correct. I dont collect mainly because I usually can not afford to collect.   Breaking even on an audio related item is not something I do often. I apply my Auto thoughts. IE.... I got some use out of it and that has a cost involved...............So I tend to take a loss, though I do try to mitigate the losses to reasonable

22 minutes ago, joessportster said:

I also seem to attract A$$ Holes with apparently nothing better to do than wait for an opportunity to act like an A$$ Hole, another great example of that grace you so proudly profess to extend.................I think you are full of Shit.  But that's just me.  Perhaps we can carry on with the good nature of the thread before being rudely interrupted

tenor.gif?itemid=4730848

• Haha 1

Think you got a good thing going, as an old song from the 60's.

Buying and passing along after a bit some nice audio equipment.

Many, as you know more than I,

have benefitted as much as you

by your enabling their passions.

Keep doing it until your satisfied, another oldie.

BTW, think some are not an A-hole, but may come off as such, like me.

Tha...is a real sweetie have learned.

In any case, enjoyed my purchase from you, and passed it on.

Cheers... And good vibration s.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, billybob said:

Think you got a good thing going, as an old song from the 60's.

Buying and passing along after a bit some nice audio equipment.

Many, as you know more than I,

have benefitted as much as you

by your enabling their passions.

Keep doing it until your satisfied, another oldie.

BTW, think some are not an A-hole, but may come off as such, like me.

Tha...is a real sweetie have learned.

In any case, enjoyed my purchase from you, and passed it on.

Cheers... And good vibration s.

A new business Idea. Live vicariously through others wallets  😀.............(I think I would quickly go broke :( )

• Haha 2

Many here have audio addiction to some extent including myself. Have to admit drugs and alcohol can make music sound more enjoyable but the way i go about avoiding unneeded purchases normally is to only buy something after hearing something that sounds better than one of my personal components but even then could just be the room itself working better in some fashion.

Don't fall too far down the well to a point you cannot crawl back out.

• Like 4

An OCD person collects and hordes. You sound like you desire to own a specific collection of high end gear to play with and experience........   and you KNOW what you’re doing. Honestly that is the pure definition of ‘audiophile’. Enjoy your learned expertise. Hell, celebrate it!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joessportster said:

Hope I didn't end up under that moniker, I really wanted those @justinsweber made Cornscalas a couple years ago. Attempted to get some of those twice. Maybe later!

Heck if I had known about you and this place before I started my rebuild... it would be tubes and tubes and tubes;)

Ya know what that new washer & dryer stink, they are geared more to save water and electricity so much that they don't clean or dry clothes worth a darn. Have to rinse with vinegar to get the extra mud & saltsoap out. and sometimes dry an extra fifteen:huh2:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Hope I didn't end up under that moniker, I really wanted those @justinsweber made Cornscalas a couple years ago. Attempted to get some of those twice. Maybe later!

Heck if I had known about you and this place before I started my rebuild... it would be tubes and tubes and tubes;)

Ya know what that new washer & dryer stink, they are geared more to save water and electricity so much that they don't clean or dry clothes worth a darn. Have to rinse with vinegar to get the extra mud & saltsoap out. and sometimes dry an extra fifteen:huh2:

You have no moniker from me my friend

The wife wanted a samsung set of newer style washer and Dryer. The washer drum has no agitator just has a LOT of holes in the drum it uses very little water. Supposedly as it spins the water injects through the clothes via those holes.  Hogwash I say It does not work worth  a damn IMHO (the dryer is fine) when it breaks down as all those electronics undoubtedly will I am getting a speed queen washer and 25 year warranty (domestic version of the commercial units found at a laundrymat)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joessportster said:

You have no moniker from me my friend

The wife wanted a samsung set of newer style washer and Dryer. The washer drum has no agitator just has a LOT of holes in the drum it uses very little water. Supposedly as it spins the water injects through the clothes via those holes.  Hogwash I say It does not work worth  a damn IMHO (the dryer is fine) when it breaks down as all those electronics undoubtedly will I am getting a speed queen washer and 25 year warranty (domestic version of the commercial units found at a laundrymat)

I just got done repairing my 38 year old Matag washer that has no electronics. New bearing, seal, nut, and epoxied the rust holes in the outer tub.

JJK

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joessportster said:

speed queen

Speed Queen was the gold standard for many years unfortunately they've fallen off the face of the earth reliability wise.  I researched them pretty heavily a few years back.

https://www.consumerreports.org/washing-machines/speed-queen-tr7-review-top-loader-isnt-laundry-royalty/