Resisting Temptation

joessportster

40 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Speed Queen was the gold standard for many years unfortunately they've fallen off the face of the earth reliability wise.  I researched them pretty heavily a few years back.

https://www.consumerreports.org/washing-machines/speed-queen-tr7-review-top-loader-isnt-laundry-royalty/

Damn it man allow me my dreams. No matter how far off base they may be today 🤒  Kidding of course, its not surprising that they are going down the tubes now days. I need to find and old wringer washer, I fear that would have me doing all the laundry though

20 minutes ago, joessportster said:

Damn it man allow me my dreams. No matter how far off base they may be today 🤒  Kidding of course, its not surprising that they are going down the tubes now days. I need to find and old wringer washer, I fear that would have me doing all the laundry though

I told my wife a long time ago that when our current washer bit the dust I wanted a Speed Queen.  Their reputation for longevity and performance was well deserved.  When the time came I started looking for places to buy one and came across tons of bad reviews.  It seems that when they did a major revision to the machine the reliability and function took major hits.  I never got one.

25 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I told my wife a long time ago that when our current washer bit the dust I wanted a Speed Queen.  Their reputation for longevity and performance was well deserved.  When the time came I started looking for places to buy one and came across tons of bad reviews.  It seems that when they did a major revision to the machine the reliability and function took major hits.  I never got one.

I have a 30 year old Kenmore / Whirlpool set.  I bought these a few years old in about 1992.  Lady Kenmore Model 110 Series 90.  TOTL back then.  Replaced some wheels and belts on the dryer about 3 years ago for about $25. 

Just went through the washer.  Replaced the springs, tub, tub mount, clutch, pads and went through the transmission and cleaned everything up like brand new.  Really easy to work on, they thought this out very well.  I bought genuine Whirlpool parts from Sears and spent about $125.  Ready for another 20 to 40 years.  I got the tub and a trans core from a tech on Craiglist that sells a bunch of used ones and he said that many are sold to people who buy a new one, it dies and then they look for another one of the old ones that last forever.  If I had replaced the clutch sooner the trans would have been OK.  It probably would have worked but I went through the transmission anyway.

I love these units.  No need for a muscle car, these are my middle aged hot rods. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I have a 30 year old Kenmore / Whirlpool set.  I bought these a few years old in about 1992.  Lady Kenmore Model 110 Series 90.  TOTL back then.  Replaced some wheels and belts on the dryer about 3 years ago for about $25. 

Just went through the washer.  Replaced the springs, tub, tub mount, clutch, pads and went through the transmission and cleaned everything up like brand new.  Really easy to work on, they thought this out very well.  I bought genuine Whirlpool parts from Sears and spent about $125.  Ready for another 20 to 40 years.  I got the tub and a trans core from a tech on Craiglist that sells a bunch of used ones and he said that many are sold to people who buy a new one, it dies and then they look for another one of the old ones that last forever.  If I had replaced the clutch sooner the trans would have been OK.  It probably would have worked but I went through the transmission anyway.

I love these units.  No need for a muscle car, these are my middle aged hot rods. 

Its sad to admit but the wifes new samsungs are maybe 4 years old now and about 6 months ago the dryer started screeching. I took it completely apart found the belt tension-er had Stopped Spinning (nylon pulley) The spring had come off as well (I may have done that during dis-assembly) the belt had rubbed a groove in the pulley. I was able to salvage the parts remove, clean, and relube the pulley. Been working OK since but I know it wont be long in needing more work or replacement. I am definitely going to look for a manual control top load agitator type washer when the time comes and a dryer that is basically start and stop

I love it we started talking about resisting audio purchases and have ended up on Washer & Dryers..................................This is what being cooped up at home gets you 🤣

48 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I wont either now.......................Thanks a lot Carl :(....................😄

1 minute ago, joessportster said:

Its sad to admit but the wifes new samsungs are maybe 4 years old now and about 6 months ago the dryer started screeching.

🤣

My mother bought a $2000 Maytag TOTL set.  Nice set but the washer died of a bad bearing in about 4 years.   I could have bought the exact same set, mint condition with a bad washer bearing for $200 on CL and could have fixed it for $65.  I kept the old Kenmore instead. 

Look, another enthusiast.  I never though of saving my old water.  Seems like a really good idea.  He'd be jealous, mine are way nicer looking. 

44 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

I've threatened the wife with one, if she doesn't learn to not overload our machine.

Don't know how many of the plastic drive link "fuses" I have replaced... 4 or 5

so many, that it's a 20 min repair now.

That sounds like a conversation I had with my wife and my Fathers wife b-4 he passed. Just because it says it can do 3 loads at once saving time does not mean I wish to test that feature, and pay for the subsequent replacement.  My wife understood.  My Fathers wife got offended and took to carrying clothes to a laundry mat for a spell. She returned in short order though.

8 hours ago, joessportster said:

So what do you do to RESIST TEMPTATION 😈 

I swear I have an addiction to looking for and buying AUDIO, I tell myself its better than using DRUGS and ALCOHOL.................But I can see the Debt associated with going overboard, (Not that I would ever go overboard 😏)  Our house is paid for as in no mortgage, Credit cards are all paid off except for 1, Have a tractor and wifes van pmt. I have all the bills paid in advance and I struggle with the very thought of buying anything further. I continuously look for a reason to buy and then strive to find a reason not to buy .

Heres an example. I am currently running a single driver Open Baffle speaker that comes in at 100DB Eff. For an amp I am using a Will Vincent Dynaco ST70, Pre-amp I am using mainly my VTA SP-14, Source is PC based with Altmann Attraction DAC. It plays nicely at lower volumes it has great impact when you want it, Bass is such that any more and it would be boomy. All in All a Damn nice sounding setup I dare say its as good as I have heard. (thats a bold statement as I have heard a LOT of gear) When I am listening I can get completely content

Yet I find myself LUSTING after these (https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649643578-dynaco-mk-iii-by-will-vincent-perfect/) I swear I have looked at them 40 times over the past week They are a beautiful construction. Frankly they are OVERPRICED IMHO but I still want them. I know the excess gain could induce noise in the HE drivers, (A Bad Thing) I have owned MK III Monos before, while they are good amps they are not great amps. I know the added power would provide better headroom and the bass would certainly improve. But to what end ?

Its a sickness I tell you. This audio Bug. We need to find an extermination method.  I went 5 years using only headphones after my injury and subsequent surgeries, I thought I was cured

I hope its clear most of this is in jest, I am bored and needed to hear what others do to RESIST

Like you said joe few escape the rapture of the Audio Bug ! I thought I had as well , went cold turkey for over 5 years the jumped back in with both feet .

I find it interesting that you like the Will Vincent dynaco better than the one I sent you . But that's why we all go around & around in the search for our vision of audio perfection . Carry on my friend -

• Like 1

Y'all heard of repairclinic.dot com? Fast shipping to me from OH I think, good prices on OEM parts. Check them out next time you have to fix your appliance or lawn mower. Spent money on all our less than ten year old stuff already. And if you're not sure how? They have repair videos there too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cornman said:

Like you said joe few escape the rapture of the Audio Bug ! I thought I had as well , went cold turkey for over 5 years the jumped back in with both feet .

I find it interesting that you like the Will Vincent dynaco better than the one I sent you . But that's why we all go around & around in the search for our vision of audio perfection . Carry on my friend -

The Latino was a nice amp but the speakers at the time were not all that nice with that amp. If I had the latino today I am positive it would do very well on the Decware ZF15M.  Being a solo driver on an OB platform I am finding the PP type amp produces a meatier SQ. while maintaining enough of the detail and sound stage to satisfy even me.

• Like 1