$500 Amplifier - recommendations

jdawghawk

I am currently looking to find a new amplifier to power my Klipsch Chorus iis. 

Maybe what i have is sufficient / there isn't a better option but want to get some opinions.

I am currently using a NAD C 350 integrated amp. 60 watts per channel.  I think this is a good / adequate amplifier but am up for keeping my eyes open for certain makes / models that would be an upgrade / better match for the Chorus. NAD is what i bought back in 1988 when I bought my first pair of Klipsch KG2s and have always been a little partial to these but am completely open to all ideas.

I also have a Adcom GFA 5300 / GTP 350 combo.  I have not hooked these up to the Klipsch but in a side by side comparison against the NAD powering some older polks (a year ago) the NAD was the clear winner in sound quality to my ears.

There are some carver amps local but not sure if these would be an upgrade......And I'd need to find a pre.

8 individual Carver amplifiers for sale.
1, TFM 45: $450.00 / 3, TFM 25’s: $300.00 each. / 3, TFM 15 CB’s
$ 225.00 each.
1, TFM 15: $175.00.
All amps work well and sound fantastic. Lights and meters operational as designed.

Could you suggest some good used / new options in the 400-700 dollar range that you feel would be an upgrade.  Thank you for your consideration.

You will be hard pressed to upgrade from the NAD. I have an NAD integrated w 80 watts/ driving a set of Belles and that is more than enough for their environment.

I have not heard Chorus II but have heard the Chorus 1 and they definitely like more power. They are fairly efficient, but really start to kick with the extra input.

I like Carver and have had several of them, but they are getting on in years.

Give a look at the Emotiva's for sale in the garage sale section. They double the wattage you currently have but that should only net out around and extra 3db but I bet would sound nice together. You would even come in under budget.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, joessportster said:

Oh this could get ugly quick 😄.............I have 40 recommendations. But as I have never heard a NAD amp I will remain silent

oh nothing needs to get ugly. I am not going to take offense at anything.....looking for some ideas.

I think something more in the range of 100 or 120 wpc would probably give me the head room i'm looking for...I like the ideas above.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billybob said:

Forgot the model # but the Marantz mono blocks that came in 125and175 watts may be the ticket...

MA500(125w) and MA700(200w)

I used to own a pair of the MA500s and five of the MA700s.

They were great.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This rig will be a great match to your Chorus IIs.  It drove my Fortes and Quartets for quite some time and the combination was magical.  Plenty of fast thumpy bass and very detailed.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/176524-denon-pma-1080r-tu-800-and-dcm-440-300/

http://www.audioreview.com/product/amplification/integrated-amplifiers/denon/pma-1080r.html

DSC_0547.JPG

Bill

• Like 1

One recommendation. Micromega MyAmp. Accessories4less has one left. 

Dead quiet, 30 watts into 8 ohms and 60 watts into 4. Great volume control, good dac, analog inputs, and Bluetooth. 

Sounds great with my LS II. Cannot tell if it is powered with ear against tweeter or mid horns.

Carver "A" series amps are great budget amps with good power, I like the John Curl designed Parasound HCA amplifiers, the double digit Adcoms sounds nice like the 5400, 5500 5800.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CARVER-TUNER-AMP-5-DISC-PLAYER-CT-26V-A-500X-MV-5/353173843557?hash=item523acd2e65:g:ejUAAOSwPDdfNFcF

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parasound-HCA-1500a-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/274460695720?hash=item3fe721dca8:g:3~cAAOSwlvlfOA6I

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adcom-GFA-5500-Poweramp/324233153577?hash=item4b7dcd4c29:g:0p4AAOSwlGxfEiIu

I should note I do not know anything about these listings or the sellers just providing examples I could find

• 5 weeks later...

1 more opinion, but you're going to get many.  I played, and continue to play in the used market until I'm settled in for a couple reasons.

1.  Doing 20 minutes worth of market research will tell you if you're paying a fair price.

2.  You can buy beyond your budget, with plenty of people that continuously change out gear and take the hit on selling used to chase the dragon.

3.  If you buy it right and don't think it's an improvement, just sell it, and many times the price for admission is shipping, and move on until you're happy with the upgrade.

That said, try anything and everything with friends that it cost you nothing, prior to buying anything, so that you can A/B against your reference.  

I love my QSC's/Emotiva and Carvers, but I've traveled down many roads to end up with that statement, so don't drop your wallet along the way.

My .02 worth. 

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You made me think of something with that statement.  Before I put my ATI back in service I may slap my Carver in that system instead just for grins.

I do that from time to time and always walk away thinking "I'm not selling those, they sound nice"