I'm really scared.....

Mighty Favog

2 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

So on Sept. 1st, I have two doctor's appts in different offices and the MRI in a third office. AND, it's my Dad's 86th birthday and I'd really like to go see him.

8 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You have a finite number of visits left with him.  Go celebrate his birthday.

your dad and my dad share the same birthday...

as Carl has written... .make it a point to be with him !

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dirtmudd said:

your dad and my dad share the same birthday...

as Carl has written... .make it a point to be with him !

Us kids have been once a week....sort of. We set him up with the internet and have been doing Zoom meetings for about a month. He's not techie at all so it sometimes takes a bit to get him on.

I agree he sounds like a good ENT, notably so for your condition. I've had Menier's in only one ear for over 20 years, hearing has been stable and "normal" in the other ear all this time. Gabapentin hasn't affected it.

This is very tough luck for anyone, I devoutly hope you improve!  Best,

Larry

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

Us kids have been once a week....sort of. We set him up with the internet and have been doing Zoom meetings for about a month. He's not techie at all so it sometimes takes a bit to get him on.

my father is diagnosed with stage 5 kidney failure...

and has moved in part time.. he only stays a night... but sneaks out by 5-6 am... like a teenager..

received a phone call from the doctor... last Tuesday morning..

he is experiencing clotting. and they have to clear  the passage.. for dialysis... my father is on his second graft.. and if this continues and or if they can't find a place to graft..

it's all over...

just remember we are all like a carton of milk... we have expiration dates  but can't read them...

some of us are left out to spoil..

and we always wear the person  we missed the most..

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

14 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

Update:

Saw the ENT this morning. He thinks the Gabapentin and the hearing problem is mutually exclusive and coincidental.

Diagnosis: Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss

The hearing test: Perfect in my left ear and even better than normal in a couple places. It got all 100 tests tones and words correct. The right ear stinks (his words). It only scored a 34. There is a slight negative pressure in the bad ear.

The treatment he's doing is injecting low amounts of steroids into the eardrum. One injection a week for three weeks. Also I'll be getting an MRI to check the communication and brain function between the brain and the ear. Then another hearing test after the injections to see if there's a change.

So on Sept. 1st, I have two doctor's appts in different offices and the MRI in a third office. AND, it's my Dad's 86th birthday and I'd really like to go see him.

I hope the injections work well, sounds like you have a good doctor. Having confidence in your doctor helps a lot, takes some of the worry away. Sounds like Sept 1 is a huge day, hope it all works out for you. I'm only 90 minutes away, if you need a hand with anything, I can get away. 

11 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

and has moved in part time.. he only stays a night... but sneaks out by 5-6 am... like a teenager..

received a phone call from the doctor... last Tuesday morning..

he is experiencing clotting. and they have to clear  the passage.. for dialysis... my father is on his second graft.. and if this continues and or if they can't find a place to graft..

it's all over...

just remember we are all like a carton of milk... we have expiration dates  but can't read them...

some of us are left out to spoil..

and we always wear the person  we missed the most..

Sorry to hear that Mike, hope he does well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Round two with the eardrum injection. The injection was still painfull even though he used the same hole from the first one.

Hearing is better in that ear compared to before. Not as much kazoo playing either.

The doc was very pleased to know of any improvement after only the first injection. The hyperacusus isn't as bad either, but then again, I've been spending the week with a cotton ball in that ear to attenuate it. One more injection and the MRI next week and a hearing test the week after with the MRI results.

This is what I was feeling like:

• Like 4

• Moderators

Good deal, sounds like they have a plan at least that seems to be working.

On 8/18/2020 at 4:03 PM, dirtmudd said:

Sorry to hear this, how old is he ?

Your right, we all get a turn. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got the last shot of steroid into the eardrum this morning. The doc likes the progression and said thing will more than likely get better over time. He asked about what percentage improvement do I think I have since this started. I said about 50%, that made him smile.

Also got the MRI done this afternoon.  They said my doc should have the results in a couple of days. An hour after I get home, I got a call from the ENT's office and said everything was normal. I was kinda hoping SOMETHING was wrong so I can justify all the goofy crap I do.....😄

Next week is another hearing test for the comparison.

• Like 4

Been taking gabapentin 400mg 3 times daily for about ten years now. Lower leg pain from type 2. No side effects. Only issue with hearing was a bout with pneumonia a few years back. A 10 day hospital stay and drains in both ears. Cleared it up in about three months. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

D

14 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

Got the last shot of steroid into the eardrum this morning. The doc likes the progression and said thing will more than likely get better over time. He asked about what percentage improvement do I think I have since this started. I said about 50%, that made him smile.

Also got the MRI done this afternoon.  They said my doc should have the results in a couple of days. An hour after I get home, I got a call from the ENT's office and said everything was normal. I was kinda hoping SOMETHING was wrong so I can justify all the goofy crap I do.....😄

Next week is another hearing test for the comparison.

Nah......    things they find wrong on MRI scans are usually involved and too often not especially good news. Be happy that the conservative treatments are helping. Looks like you can chalk this one up to ‘getting olde sucks’. Carry on with a positive attitude and renewed vigor. There’s nothing wrong that’ll shorten your life span.....  smile, smile 😃.

• Like 1