Wiring RP 3's

Dabrowski

Today, I became the proud owner (I hope) of a new pair of RP3's.

After reading and re-reading the directions many times over, I still don't have a grip on how to BEST wire them.

The directions talk about bi-amping them, but I don't see how that can be done without seperate outputs on a receiver. (I have a JVC 660V).

The manual also mentions that using the single subwoofer output from the receiver would basically make the low end of each speaker monural. As a lover of 1970's rythem & dance music, that sounds like heresy to me.

I'm not a big movie fan, but hope to use these some day for "home entertainment". At the moment, big base and real stereo is far more imporant to me.

Also, since the speakers have outputs I asume I can add subwoofers to both speakers at some point?

You might think that 2 additional subs is overkill but the room I'm building is 23'x30' (slightly irregular shape) and I'm afraid even these big boys will get lost in there?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

congrats. they should give you pretty good bass even in that larger room. make sure you experiment some w/ their placement as that & the room can make a big dif in results.

are you using just these 2 rp just for stereo music listening, or are they part of a 5.1 system also for HT?

I'm going to use 5 speakers with my JVC 660VBK.

I prefer to use the JVC "Hall surround" option, but will probably try the Dolby Pro Logic & Dolby 3ch Logic.

Let me guess, I should get rid of this unit and get something that is 5.1 compatable. Right?

Is there a big difference?

no you should be fine. just was checking to see whether you should use the sub out of the jvc for lfe in HT or not. i think you should - that is also connect the jvc sub out to the LFE ins of the rp. & use that along w/ the fronts terminals connected to the rp top posts along w/ the gold straps or wire running from those to the rp bottom posts. you should get good LFE & bass that way.

cut & paste this thread or do a search for rp-3 in this section. much rp info there.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=26816&forumID=66&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={5D6ADC5C-D1A3-4C39-B867-934E3A57946B}

See, that is what's SO confusing to me!

I'm not really an audiofile, so I have a lot to learn.

But, I thought that I couldn't run the subwoofer cable from the JVC unless I also disconected the brass bar that connects the terminals on the speaker. No?

Will I loose stereo definition if I do as you suggest, since my JVC only has one subwoofer output?

Thanks for you help!

the nonfiltered LFE inputs on the rp are compatiable w/ also using the gold straps or wire to connect the bottom posts (sub section) to the top posts that are connected to the fronts terminals of the receiver. so you want to leave the sub section also connected there so you don't lose any bass in between what comes out of your receiver sub out & the fronts terminals.

i think the crossover on the bottom speaker terminals (sub section) in the rp is at 80hz. so that way you may still get some directionality in the rp sub woofers from the speaker level connections (gold straps or wire).

the main reason to connect the LFE ins to the sub out of the jvc (you can use a Y-adapter or daisy-chain one rp to the other using LFE out to other LFE in) is for LFE. that's the .1 channel in 5.1 material. should be more dynamic that way.

you should probably then set the fronts in the jvc to large. you could even set it if possible so it sends only LFE to its sub out & thru the rca interconnects to the LFE ins of the rp. may not be much audible dif but you can experiment w/ different settings in the jvc & w/ dif source material to hear what sounds best.

but since the the low bass is filtered around 80hz in the rps & also filtered at 80hz thru the jvc sub out, you won't be getting much if any directional bass from the rp sub sections anyway.