Alternative woofer suggestions for a k-1005-k 10" from KG 4.2

Iteachstem

Hello all,

A10"  woofer from a set of KG 4.2's was old, tired and making noise and needed to be replaced.  I'm looking either for a single used k-1005-k (From a Klipsch KG 4.2) or suggestions on two affordable replacement drivers that are similar and will work well in the 4.2 cabinets with the passive 10" radiator.  I don't want to spend a ton as these are almost 30 year old mediocre speakers that will most likely end up spending the remainder of their lives serving as garage duty speakers... I'm thinking no more than $150 for a pair of replacement drivers. 

I'm looking for drivers that have a higher efficiency rating (around 93dB or greater) to keep up with the efficiency of the tweeters.

So far I found these from parts express:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pa255-8-10-pro-woofer--295-030

• Nominal Diameter10"
  • Power Handling (RMS)300 Watts
  • Power Handling (max)600 Watts
  • Impedance8 ohms
  • Frequency Response46 to 3,500 Hz
  • Sensitivity92.6 dB 2.83V/1m
  • Voice Coil Diameter2"
  • Magnet Weight50 oz.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Screenshot_2020-08-14  Dayton Audio PA255-8 10 Pro Woofer from www parts-express com .png

You can't just throw another woofer in and expect it to perform properly they need to have the same thiel/small parameters of the original woofers.  If you add more efficiency then you throw the balance off between LF and HF.  I would get the original reconed or search eBay for someone parting a pair out or post a WTB ad in Garage Sale maybe someone has an extra one sitting around.

5 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

You can't just throw another woofer in and expect it to perform properly they need to have the same thiel/small parameters of the original woofers.  If you add more efficiency then you throw the balance off between LF and HF.  I would get the original reconed or search eBay for someone parting a pair out or post a WTB ad in Garage Sale maybe someone has an extra one sitting around.

Thanks for the good input. I've been building speakers as a hobby for over 30 years, so I do understand the design process very well.  I just wanted to see if anyone on the forums had done this before and experienced positive results with a different driver.  I know it's not ideal, but, to have the one speaker reconed it's $79 plus shipping.... not worth it for an almost 30 year old speaker set. Even the recone kit is $30, and I've never done an entire recone... I can watch the videos and all, but actually doing it correctly the first time.... I'll pass. Also, with buying a driver from eBay, you never know what condition it's in, so that's always a gamble... and a hassle to try and resolve any issues.  So, for less than $90 I can have two new drivers....they may not go as low, or match some of the t/s specs,  but I always use subs anyway and they are going in the garage for background music. Who knows, I might just get lucky and find a winning combo!  Many great scientific discoveries were by accident! (Or, I might just create a turd of a speaker and use it as a lesson learned experience!)

I already have an ad posted in the garage sale section.  No luck.  So, I'm thinking if I do the parts express driver, I can sell the other k-1005-k driver to offset some of the cost and potentially help out another forum member in need one day!

I would say re-cone if the speaker was not making a noise. I did it once just to see what it was all about. Turned out to be nothing to re-coning, very simple. But noisy usually means voice coil rubbing and needs replacing which I would not do myself even though I know how it is done. Getting the right voice coil would be a big problem since no spec's are given for any Klipsch speaker that I am aware of. Trying those Dayton's is the way I would go even though I expect the stock woofers would be slightly more efficient. I was going to recommend an Eminence speaker but they get real pricey for one that would work in your box. Let us know how it works out. 

18 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

Hello all,

A10"  woofer from a set of KG 4.2's

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

place a wanted ad in the klipsch garage section ---------and watch the alerts by @Alexander,  he watches out for good prices , quite a hawkeye at great deals

Well, the speakers came today!  I installed and started to break them in.  So far, dare I say, they don't sound inferior to the original drivers, just different (as expected).  I'll update after they are properly warmed up!  I have 2 sets of 4.2's, so I will be able to do a decent A/B comparison soon.

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

• Like 1