Center channel or third floor stander?

JoeJoeThe3rd

I know sound is very subjective and what sounds best is usually different from person to person but I like good loud high quality sound like us all here at klipsch. What do you guys think would be the better idea, getting a third rf7iii for the center channel, or a dedicated center channel like the rc64iii? Which still hSent arrived because ups banged it up so they had to ask for another one and now klipsch is waiting to build like 80 which was suppose to happen days again but who know if it did or it it shipped out. So I’m thinking I wonder what’s the perks or just getting a third Ford stander and saying screw the center. What’s your guys thoughts? I saw some people did this awhile ago and thought about implementing it into my own system but don’t know if it’s worth replacing a dedicated center channel. Thanks y’all. Starting to get my stuff up and running and it’s really starting to come together! 

IME, you can realize good results with either an RF-7III or RC-64III for center channel.

Following is my experience, based on listening to modern multi-channel hi-res recordings (Blu-ray, SACD) of large-scale classical music, and using tube amps:

• Basement:  Front, center, and left speakers are Klipsch RF-7 II.  I made a stand for the HDTV that includes a shelf for the center-channel RF-7II (i.e., the RF-7II sits on its side).   One downside is that the high-frequency driver is not centered.  I have an RF-7 as the singe rear speaker.   Subwoofers:  SVS SB16-Ultra, Klipsch R-115SW.  When playing modern (last dozen years or so) DTS-HD MA 5.1 classical recordings, this system can deliver the full frequency range and dynamic range of a live concert in the symphony hall.

• In my bedroom system, front, center, and left speakers are Klipsch WF-35.  All floorstanding.  SVS SB-2000 Pro subwoofer.   Sounds great.

• In my TV room, front left & right speakers are Klipsch Palladium P-37F.   Center:  Klipsch RC-64III.   Single rear:  Klipsch RP-502S.   Subwoofer:  Klipsch P-312W.   Sounds great.

• In my living room, front left & right speakers are Snell Type CV.   Center:  Klipsch RC-64III.   Single rear:  RP-502S.   Subwoofer:  Klipsch P-312W.  Sounds great.

IME, you could achieve excellent audio quality with either an RF-7III or RC-64III for center channel.  I think the deciding factors between an RF-7III or RC-64III for center channel are:

1. Which can be more easily accommodated in your current listening room?

2. Which will provide the most flexibility if you move, or change room layout in the future?  (It seems to me that in most listening rooms an RC-64III would be easier to accommodate under a TV screen.)

I’m very pleased with my RC-64III, but there’s no doubt that you’d realize outstanding sound quality with 3 RF-7III across the front.

Well, @robert_kc clearly seems to be the most qualified to answer this question, considering he's got multiple setups of the best of the best from Klipsch in both form factors... as for me, I can only dream of upgrading to just 1 pair of RF-7III's one day... so respect to Robert! 🙂

Having said that though, I can't help feeling that if you're going to use a third RF-7III as your center, then it really needs to be standing upright and at the exact same level as your front left and right RF-7III's, and for this to work well, you'd need to have it behind an acoustically transparent screen.

If this is not the case, then I feel like you would most likely be better served with the RC-64III that has been meticulously designed to lie horizontally, even if it isn't the ideal speaker form factor...

But you certainly can't go wrong with any of these speakers at this level, and I must admit I'm a little jealous... 😉

mine doesnt match and it sounds great...Zu Audio cube-point source coax tweeter, excellent dynamics-as fast as the LaScalas, great freq. response and efficiency....this is all of course subjective, but to my ears works great....

2354AE4D-B8ED-4F3A-A64A-CAFA98BFF493.jpeg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Docreid said:

mine doesnt match and it sounds great...Zu Audio cube-point source coax tweeter, excellent dynamics-as fast as the LaScalas, great freq. response and efficiency....this is all of course subjective, but to my ears works great....

2354AE4D-B8ED-4F3A-A64A-CAFA98BFF493.jpeg

Awesome room, very nice.

I have used the recommended center channel speaker in the past when I had Paradigm speakers and it is not as good IMO. In my last HT with JBL 2360As I used identical speakers for the front channels, and in my current K402MEH setup I also use identical speakers for the front 3 channels. If you want the best sound you need to use the same for each of the front 3 just like a Theater does.The center channel needs to be as good as your left and right as during movies it is the most important speaker in the front.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Like 2