Baltic Birch enclosure for Forte ll

andym

Hello,

I have recently finished a DIY fullrange speaker project and enjoyed it so much that I was thinking of building new enclosures for my modified Forte ll.I would like feedback from members who have done

these mods.

What I have done to the Forte ll's so far:

* braced and sealed original enclosures.

* damped magnets, woofer and passive radiator cage with Noico sound deadening material.

* Crites upgraded crossovers and diaphragms.

What I would like to do:

* 3/4 inch Baltic Birch enclosures with 1 inch baffle.

* 3 window braces.

* not sure about damping yet.

I will scrape this project if the gain that I`ll be getting is minimal. Any feedback or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I have not built cabinets for Forte IIs but have built many cabinets including a pair of Chorus I that would be very similar to your build. 3/4" cabinet 1" baffle, extra bracing...... Those cabinets replaced a water damaged pair that were falling apart, so the improvement was huge. Based on the work you have already done on your Forte, the only thing you may gain is a lot of sawdust. Don't get me wrong, many times I am at my happiest ankle deep in sawdust so that is not a bad thing. If your current speakers look nice, I would pass. Find a beater pair to restore and have two nice sets. Speaker rescue is a rewarding pass time.

post-36834-0-22820000-1443643864_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, andym said:

The topic does not seem to interest many.I guess I will put off the project since there doesn't seem to be any SQ gains.I will probably still proceed at a later date but for aesthetic reasons only. 

Thanks to the few who have contributed to this post.

The Baltic Birch vs veneered MDF has been a hot topic here in the past you might want to try the search feature. I myself have speakers made from both (although not the same model) and like the way they all sound it would be hard to imagine just swapping these materials with everything else being equal that there would be any difference in sound I'd say add bracing and acoustic foam to your cabinets and call it good.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I will eventually build new boxes for the Forte ll knowing that I will not gain much other than nice looking enclosures.That's fine with me, I enjoy woodworking.

RandyH000 brought up a good point about cabinet volume.Can I alter the dimensions of the box without changing internal volume? Will there be a change in SQ?

If I remove the passive radiator and replace it by ports, would that affect SQ?

Thanks