Crossover design

VDS

In very general terms, The bigger the horn, the better. If you want to establish a design goal, as Preston Tom says, then a good simple goal would be to incorporate the biggest mid horn you can, then tune it to work well with the woofer and tweeter. It sound like that was your informal goal to begin with.

The mic you ordered, DATS V3 (parts express), REW, Audacity, and X-Sim will give you what you need to make meaningful changes to the crossover to help you achieve your goal.

The mike and REW will allow you to make frequency response and impedance measurements for the whole speaker as it sits (this will show you what you're hearing). The DATS V3 will allow You to get FR and Z measurements for the individual drivers (plus many other things). Audacity will allow to convert the individual driver graphs into .frd and .zma files for X-Sim (DATS may also let you do this). X-sim will let you plot the driver graphs together and virtually install the crossovers so you can see their effect on FR and Z curves (and compare to REW measurements). Then you make adjustments from there and measure again with REW as you go.

Use what you see together with what you hear. You'll learn to hear with your eyes and you'll learn to measure with your ears.

• Thanks 1

So I got mic and REW . Took measurements this morning. These are no smoothing and VAR smoothing.  Took measurements from 1 and 1.5 meters, Center and 30degrees off center, these are averages.  Average is 50db.  Certainly not positive I did everything correct, I followed Julian Krause on uTube for some settings.

My thoughts, 1. Not sure measurements  are correct. Do I need additional measurements?

2. How do I use this data to improve crossovers

thanks for any help, I feel in over my head at this point, Ted

BC025B05-F133-4E62-92C7-2E4CD44FD567.jpeg

4F328D5A-EB04-4460-A85A-A46E80C0FE77.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2020 at 10:04 PM, VDS said:

Here’s what I got from Bob.  Tap 1 for squawker lead,  disconnect top 1.5uf(leaving bottom 1.5 in play)

move tweeter lead from terminal 4 to 3

Do I have that right? Thanks

On 8/21/2020 at 9:51 PM, Deang said:

Use the 1.5uF capacitor.

Use Tap 1 for the DCM 50. 

Move the tweeter to Tap 3 (for now). 

Dean, did this and sound is much improved, certainly better balance with woofer, and smoother overall.  Since we last spoke I installed elliptical horns on squawker from Greg Harris fastrac. So with horns and driver both capable of 400hz would any benefit be gained by having those frequencies go through mid horn rather than woofer?  

• 10 months later...
On 8/22/2020 at 5:51 AM, Deang said:

Use the 1.5uF capacitor.

Use Tap 1 for the DCM 50. 

Move the tweeter to Tap 3 (for now). 

And although many are not interested in such technical modifications and appearance in such things. But I think the original approach is just as important here. This is what I'm guided by when creating my brand. I pay special attention to all details and even such as strong masculine font. I think the overall impression of the brand or what you do depends on this.

Edited by JonathanBrown