george wright sound 3.5 mono blocks

robertod

Jeffrey,  you suggested replacing parts under the chassis where there is risk of shock or electrocution from power supply capacitors which have not discharged.  

I will be busy the rest of the day so you have free rein to give advice without worrying about any counterpoint from me !

Maynard

12 hours ago, robertod said:

I would like to hook up some hum pots.  I was wonder if I could use 16-19awg stranded wire. Any thoughts, thanks.

The hum may not be coming from the amp itself.  There's an easy way to tell if it's cables or a component.  I can't find my troubleshooting guide at the moment but I'm sure @babadono can link it here for you.  All you may need is a stand alone external transformer.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

I wonder, who will be first to comment on the  weird soldering.  How soon? We have another golden opportunity here. 

Oooooooh, I will I will !!!

The first step to a cure is admitting that you have a problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

That is cool.  I'd like to know about that also please. 

I had a bad hum that I never figured out till Eric helped me.  It's a step by step scientific approach to finding it.  Once I found out where to put the external Jensen transformer it killed the hum.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, babadono said:

Here is the link to the whole enchilada document:

https://centralindianaaes.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/indy-aes-2012-seminar-w-notes-v1-0.pdf

The concise troubleshooting guide can be found at Jensen Transformer website.*

*  = the best audio transformers made:)  No affiliation actual or implied.

Common impedance coupling was the issue I had.  I couldn't find the troubleshooting guide nor the test adapters at the Jensen site, which are critical to have.

53 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

LOL, I can never ever keep up with YOU , in a verbal *** for tat.  Bravo Carl.  

I enjoy my 8 AWG buss bar tube amp.  It does great on my reference Drum Kit source, getting the dynamics of the drummer and drums. 

I would love to see Henry 4841's amps he has referred to, underside photo, and a schematic.  I wonder if it has grid stoppers. 

Teet

7 minutes ago, babadono said:

here be the shorter doc that comes with the "dummy plugs"

https://www.jensen-transformers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/ts_guide.pdf

You may have to call them or email to get some "dummy plugs". Pretty easy to build your own dang self if you have the parts laying around.

Everyone who has a system hum should read and try this prior to opening and modifying gear.

Jeffrey, Thanks for your comments.  I purchased solid core hookup wire.  I also like the information on testing the monoblocks.

Also, like to thank everyone who commented, it is very useful information I will use as I upgrade the monoblocks.

One other question, I received the capacitors and noticed a plastic wrap around them.  Does it matter if I leave the plastic wrap on?

Again thanks for all the comments and links.

Roberto, with all due respect for Jeffrey who is very passionate about what he believes, I urge you to seek advice from others before you implement his proposed changes and modifications.  I can’t count the number of amps out there which do not utilize the Medwin/Fraker philosophy which are truly outstanding in every respect.  

Maynard

• Like 1

Not knowing one damn thing on tube amp circuits/design I see many things above ^^^ that would make sense. And having past owned these Wright amps I thought they sounded quite nice. But I can certainly imagine them sounding better with higher cost internals. Maybe part of Wrights “genius” was the ability to design an acceptably good sounding amp while using cost restraints where applicable —

Jeffrey,  bashing every amp out there because it isn’t constructed as you see fit does not endear you to many who follow your posts. It is not necessary for a person to hear your, or Dennis’, amp to know that they are totally satisfied with what they have.  Do you remember saying this on another forum:

“Of course as soon I write I think that 99.99% of the amps are unsatisfactory I have just alienated myself to anyone who reads my post, and has carefully, thoughtfully paid their money for whatever amp they own.”

The presumption from your statement is that you have indeed heard 99.99% of the amps out there.  Forgive me for finding that a bit hard to believe.  I’m sure that the followers of this fine forum are just as astute as those on the forum where you made that statement and were ridiculed for doing so.

Maynard

• Like 1

Jeffrey, to me the salient point is your incessant bashing of any amp design which does not conform to your vision of what an amp should be.  Your designs may sound terrific, or they may not.  That is a purely subjective assessment and will not be universal.  I have never discredited your recommendations but have questioned them from technical viewpoints.

For me to have a technical discussion with you about what you promote you will need to present supporting information such as measurements, or computer simulations which prove that your assertions work.  An example of the latter is how a choke input filter with inductance way below critical value, and low value caps, does not have high ripple.  I believe our past discussions about such matters amounted to a dog chasing its tail.  But, I am willing to listen...

Maynard