Klipsch rf7iii

JoeJoeThe3rd

@Youthman or anyone that can give me the advice. If you are using the rf7iii speakers to listen to music, and for the scenario of home theater,  do you use a power amp. If so do you use it all the time or just sometimes. I found it doesn’t really make much of a difference but some. Mine is the a31 parasound, whats your power amp. And what results have you found the power amp has brought to tour system? For me it seems to be more crystal clear almost and most definitely louder and I need to do more demos without it but would say stronger bass with the power amp. Also do you guys like the sound of it coming from your power amp more or simply coming from the avr or tube amp or what ever it is you use to drive the speakers?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, David y said:

@Youthman or anyone that can give me the advice. If you are using the rf7iii speakers to listen to music, and for the scenario of home theater,  do you use a power amp. If so do you use it all the time or just sometimes. I found it doesn’t really make much of a difference but some. Mine is the a31 parasound, whats your power amp. And what results have you found the power amp has brought to tour system? For me it seems to be more crystal clear almost and most definitely louder and I need to do more demos without it but would say stronger bass with the power amp. Also do you guys like the sound of it coming from your power amp more or simply coming from the avr or tube amp or what ever it is you use to drive the speakers?

What you are finding is the law of diminishing returns.  That last 15% takes a lot more.  The other thing is the matching.  If you are just using an AVR to drive the power amp, you might be surprised what a very good source component with good material could provide.

• Like 1

Years back I had an old Harmon Kardon AVR I bought brand new from Circuit City it was on sale and not top of the line, I think it was the lowest end model that still had pre-outs. I used that thing as a pre for a couple of years trying all sorts of amplifiers and never really found anything too exciting. Then one day a Sunfire TGP-IV pre fell into my lap and when I hooked it up and started listening it was incredible-- the bass was so strong I actually got up to turn the subwoofer off only to see I hadn't turned it on! Everything sounded better top to bottom it was a real eye opener as to how important a pre can be in the chain and all that time I was cycling through amplifiers looking for better sound.

Right now in my garage system I have a Carver Lightstar  Direct Pre & Carverfest 20 watt tube amp combo driving a pair of original RF-7's and they sound fantastic with plenty of drive. If you're looking for great 2 channel experience you might want to consider a separate system or pre for the best sound.

• Like 1

For the modern hi-res multi-channel classical recording that I love (i.e., Blu-ray and SACD), I prefer vintage tube amps with my RF-7II.

I use Oppo UDP-205, BDP-105, and BDP-95 in systems that use analog audio connections to vintage tube amps in stereo and multi-channel configurations (e.g., 3.1, 4.1, and 4.2).   5.1 and 7.1 configurations are also possible.   The UDP-205 plays all digital formats (e.g., Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, SACD, downloaded hi-res, etc.)    No AVR or pre-processor involved.

For Hollywood movies, I use solid-state amps.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pzannucci said:

What you are finding is the law of diminishing returns.  That last 15% takes a lot more.  The other thing is the matching.  If you are just using an AVR to drive the power amp, you might be surprised what a very good source component with good material could provide.

O I know all about diminishing returns lol. You guys are throwing all these big word at me that I don’t understand. I am using my anthem mrx720 for processing and the parasound for power on my speakers. What do you mean source component with good material? Don’t get me wrong I am more than pleased with the way my system sounds. You guys should hear it I think you would be impressed. I’m using my computer which has a decent mother board which I think comes with a decent sound card but I can’t tell if it’s using the sound card or not cause when I’m using tidal it doesn’t have the high definition sound card selected. It says something else I forget, I’ll look in the morning. It’s f’ing amazing. But I’m always looking to improve. And I’m scared of something knew like tube amps. And how Expensive are those! Already spent an arm and a leg getting my new system lol idk about buying another tube amp.

17 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Years back I had an old Harmon Kardon AVR I bought brand new from Circuit City it was on sale and not top of the line, I think it was the lowest end model that still had pre-outs. I used that thing as a pre for a couple of years trying all sorts of amplifiers and never really found anything too exciting. Then one day a Sunfire TGP-IV pre fell into my lap and when I hooked it up and started listening it was incredible-- the bass was so strong I actually got up to turn the subwoofer off only to see I hadn't turned it on! Everything sounded better top to bottom it was a real eye opener as to how important a pre can be in the chain and all that time I was cycling through amplifiers looking for better sound.

Right now in my garage system I have a Carver Lightstar  Direct Pre & Carverfest 20 watt tube amp combo driving a pair of original RF-7's and they sound fantastic with plenty of drive. If you're looking for great 2 channel experience you might want to consider a separate system or pre for the best sound.

Are you saying your only using 20 watts to drive your rf-7’s?

On 8/19/2020 at 12:44 AM, Youthman said:

I have an old school Acurus A200 (200x2) that I purchased from @willland many years ago powering my RF7 III’s.

I feel it provides better separation of musical instruments, plenty of headroom and solid bass even at low volume.

So you use balanced or unbalanced? And sorry I’m sure there’s a way to quote multiple people but I don’t know how. Do you think it’s important to use balanced in a home environment, like would I notice any difference from balanced or unbalanced? Cause right now I use unbalanced and only hear a very slight noise if I put my ear right up to the tweeter. Completely fine with me imo.

18 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Sound advice....😀

Same thing happened to me. I was using an older Yamaha AVR to power the speakers. I added an Emo amp, helped the sound quite a bit, more headroom. But when I added a pre-amp, ditched the AVR, the whole system came to life, much more robust sounding.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, David y said:

I am using my anthem mrx720 for processing and the parasound for power on my speakers. Don’t get me wrong I am more than pleased with the way my system sounds. You guys should hear it I think you would be impressed. It’s f’ing amazing. But I’m always looking to improve.

Anthem and Parasound are both good brands I'm sure your system sounds great.

Room treatments, seating position, speaker placement and good source material (as mentioned above) can really make a big difference. If you're using your computer are you playing downloads or using a streaming service?

Sounds like you have a nice set up already trying to get a little more better is a never ending quest that can become quite expensive at some point good enough is good enough spend time energy and funds on other things that matter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Anthem and Parasound are both good brands I'm sure your system sounds great.

Room treatments, seating position, speaker placement and good source material (as mentioned above) can really make a big difference. If you're using your computer are you playing downloads or using a streaming service?

Sounds like you have a nice set up already trying to get a little more better is a never ending quest that can become quite expensive at some point good enough is good enough spend time energy and funds on other things that matter.

Using tidal.

2 hours ago, David y said:

What is a pre? Where it just processes the channels and I need a separate power amp to power them?

Sorry...yes, a pre-amp. It replaces your AVR. You would connect your Parasound amp to the pre-amp (a pre-amp has no power amp) and your source....CD player, turntable etc. Even a cheaper pre-amp normally sounds better than an AVR. I bought a modest pre-amp ($300 used) and it sounds much better than my AVR. I use a pre-amp connected to an amp for 2 channel listening, and a 7 channel AVR for movies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Sorry...yes, a pre-amp. It replaces your AVR. You would connect your Parasound amp to the pre-amp (a pre-amp has no power amp) and your source....CD player, turntable etc. Even a cheaper pre-amp normally sounds better than an AVR. I bought a modest pre-amp ($300 used) and it sounds much better than my AVR. I use a pre-amp connected to an amp for 2 channel listening, and a 7 channel AVR for movies. 

Ok cool thank you, what do you think would sound best, a pre amp or a tube amp? Also could I buy a tube amp that I could plug my parasound into or would that defeat the whole purpose of a tube amp?

If you are going strictly 2 channel, then a stereo preamp/amp combo is the "best" way to go.  All things being equal, a stereo integrated amp would be a close second.  If your system is a combo rig, HT and stereo, then your Anthem 720/Parasound A31 combo is a great choice.  Be happy and content with your system because it's a good one.

Bill

• Like 1

I use the Cary Audio DAC 200 to a tube integrated amp, and I found the sound to be best to my ears. My Rf-7III's are used in a 2.0 channels system, no sub. I tried many tube amps and now i am pretty happy with the Muzishare R-100. ( 300B to 845 tubes)

It delivers strong tight and accurate bass, with clear, detailed and 3D sound. I used previously my Yamaha A-S2100 with same DAC, never got the 3D effect or the musical sound I was after.  If you are into tubes, give it a try. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, willland said:

If you are going strictly 2 channel, then a stereo preamp/amp combo is the "best" way to go.  All things being equal, a stereo integrated amp would be a close second.  If your system is a combo rig, HT and stereo, then your Anthem 720/Parasound A31 combo is a great choice.  Be happy and content with your system because it's a good one.

Bill

Good advice. I am very happy and content with it. It took awhile to put together and I’m fortunate enough to even be able to get all this equipment. It sounds magical to say the least and I’m just starting to break it in and really put some hours into it. It always takes some time for my ears to adjust to a new system but right off the bat I was like wow this sounds amazing. Compared to my old system it was a huge improvement and I couldn't be happier. With that being said I’m always looking to improve.  Definitely  look Into a preamp in the future. Also, trying to work out some quirks with my system and just get everything running perfect. For instance I had to unplug my rear surround floor standing klipsch speakers because they were getting quite a bit of static for some reason I couldn’t figure out. I tried different chords that were a lot shorter it seem to help at first but then it kind of just went right back to the way it was, so I just unplugged them all together and just use my bookshelves as surrounds. Before I was using those and my old  Floor standers  also. And when I plug hdmi into my computer for some reason I get a bad static hiss noise and I can’t figure out why it’s doing this. If I plug it into my lab top it doesn’t do that, only with my desktop. But I want to use my desktop because it has a nicer sound card. So right now I’m using an optical cord so I don’t think I’m using my sound cord because of that, not sure. I don’t know how that works. 

• Like 1

One of my rf7iii I can hear a rattle in one of cabinets at the bottom of it. Basically in the very bottom of the speaker. It’s not coming from the woofer it self but below that. Very saddening. My 300$ klipsch floorstanders don’t do this and I’ve had them for over 5 years. I’m sure it will ok get worse. I wonder how I could go about fixing this. Or maybe my dealer could fix it?