Crites Chorus II crossover - upgrade?

iaRIVR

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 10:59 AM, iaRIVR said:

Are the inductors and other components considered an upgrade over stock or more of a direct replacement?

Debating whether to go with just caps or the full board.

I've done both complete replacements and just re-caps a few different times it seems I always prefer the complete replacements bass seems a little tighter a little better separation and clarity not huge differences but noticeable.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I've done both complete replacements and just re-caps a few different times it seems I always prefer the complete replacements bass seems a little tighter a little better separation and clarity not huge differences but noticeable.  

Recap and get a mahl from Dave a. 

• Like 1

Thanks, and of course in no way intending anything negative about Crites as his crossovers are extremely well built and a fantastic value.

I've priced out most brands and the cost of the caps alone is almost what the Crites crossovers are. To do Theta PPT for the mid (6uf) would be about $110, or Milex @ $194!. Then say Arizona Blue for the tweeter at $120 (4x 2uf). Fewer options in the 6uf and 2uf I need.

Thanks all. The Crites inductors and autotransformers both look more substantial than the stock ones, and my brain is wired to assume bigger is better.

Interesting twist - I opened them up last night and someone had already put Sonicaps in there. So maybe the MAHL tweeter is on the table now 😝

57 minutes ago, iaRIVR said:

Thanks all. The Crites inductors and autotransformers both look more substantial than the stock ones, and my brain is wired to assume bigger is better.

Interesting twist - I opened them up last night and someone had already put Sonicaps in there. So maybe the MAHL tweeter is on the table now 😝

3 hours ago, iaRIVR said:

If you a haven't put your xover back in you may to check the soldering connections. I just finished switching from Dayton to sonicaps and orginal owner did not do a great job putting in the daytons. Good luck with your upgrades.

I will, it may not have been the neatest job but they sound just fine to me so far.

14 hours ago, Lbk said:

If you a haven't put your xover back in you may to check the soldering connections. I just finished switching from Dayton to sonicaps and orginal owner did not do a great job putting in the daytons. Good luck with your upgrades.