Hey boys and girls

USNRET

I stepped out for a bit for 2 reasons

1. Constant postings that I didn't care to read here. Leave your political innuendo and poster bashing somewhere else.
2. Major changes in life; I'll leave that there

The following is not a sympathy callout but just a note to let my forum friends (you know who you are) know what's up. 

I've been working on the haunted house with new windows, paint, declutter and such in order to get it on the market in the next few months. LONG way to go with the garages and my stuff. Frigging yard got away from me and finally had to buy a new mower. Paying someone to do the work was more than I wanted to pay..$175 per time IF I had it done every 10 days; more if longer span.

All is as good as it can be. Although quarantined twice from work for a total of 24 days (I was negative for the 'rona) at least they paid me.

Bad news #1 is that the company I have worked for >20 years lost this contract and it makes no sense for me to move back to Georgia so I can pay an increase of $47,000 a year for my son's schooling. Darn boy still wants to be a doctor.

Bad news #2 is that I will probably be putting all my stereo, HT and assorted things up on the used market at some point relatively soon due to re-sizing of home. We corporate folk don't use downsizing, right?

Good news #1 is that the kiddos are doing great in school with the boy as an Aggie (sigh) and my daughter as a H.S. junior. Oh wait, Bad news #3 is that Dad cannot supply any help with college organic chemistry or H.S. advanced physics. If Google don't know, I don't know.

Good news #2 is that the company that won the contract has made an offer (which I tentatively accepted) to retain me in my current position with a coupla bucks raise. Whoops Bad news #4, If I go to the new company, who is taking over the existing contract, I lose 21 weeks of severance pay.

Well, that is me 

• Like 6

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Good news #2 is that the company that won the contract has made an offer (which I tentatively accepted) to retain me in my current position with a coupla bucks raise. Whoops Bad news #4, If I go to the new company, who is taking over the existing contract, I lose 21 weeks of severance pay.

Well, that is me 

Really? You lose severance if you start a new job?

8 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Really? You lose severance if you start a new job?

Some lawyer's fine print darn you! If I go to the company that takes over a contract that my current company has (and loses) then I get no severance. Not known but how long I would have to remain unemployed before going to new company is???? I do know that I would have sign some release forms but they are to hold the company harmless

Also language about annual performance incentive pay lost if recruited...

• Moderators
1 minute ago, USNRET said:

Some lawyer's fine print darn you! If I go to the company that takes over a contract that my current company has (and loses) then I get no severance.

Within what period of time, it other word, if you were able to negoiate with new contractor that they make you an offer open for 30 days, can you terminate, collect severance, come up to Austin for a bourbon or 2, head back, accept new offer?

Travis

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Some lawyer's fine print darn you! If I go to the company that takes over a contract that my current company has (and loses) then I get no severance.

Clever lawyer!  Probably saved his client a bundle with just that one bit of savvy!

Here's an even bigger twist...

Unless the new company gives you a written agreement guaranteeing a certain term of employment, you will be an employee at will.  This means they can let you go at any time for any reason or no reason.  It's kind of like trading 21 weeks of severance for a lick and a promise.

I didn't know you were making all those changes.  You lost me a bit.  Are you a actually going to Georgia?

1 minute ago, dwilawyer said:

Within what period of time, it other word, if you were able to negoiate with new contractor that they make you an offer open for 30 days, can you terminate, collect severance, come up to Austin for a bourbon or 2, head back, accept new offer?

Travis

and that is why you would represent me pro-bono 

New company wants me now, old company says no way
New company understands and respects my financial issues
I need to be on old company payroll 1 Jan 2021 to get 2020 incentive...5 digits

13 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Clever lawyer!  Probably saved his client a bundle with just that one bit of savvy!

Here's an even bigger twist...

Unless the new company gives you a written agreement guaranteeing a certain term of employment, you will be an employee at will.  This means they can let you go at any time for any reason or no reason.  It's kind of like trading 21 weeks of severance for a lick and a promise.

I didn't know you were making all those changes.  You lost me a bit.  Are you a actually going to Georgia?

I will not be leaving Texas. I will be either completely retiring with military, company pension and SSA or taking all the above and going to work for new company or perhaps an assistant door greeter  at Wally World>

Really what I would like to do is is work for a local company that sells stereo / HT stuff and teach them that two RCA cables does not support surround sound.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Sir:

You are currently caught up in one of the three most stressful events in life. Please try to remember that your worth to society is not measured by how many amps you possess, how large your speakers or house is, what type of vehicle you drive, or who you may work for.

You have one child who aspires to be a doctor, and is progressing. Another who is advancing in high school. These are your prizes. Showing them how you deal with your current adversity will be a much better life lesson for them than expertise in organic chemistry or physics.  I say this from experience.

When I retired from the Army I flailed about for a few years doing contract health care work. (I was a medic in the Army) This action paled so I switched gears, and retrained into the tech industry. It was a rough two years. But now, 20 years later, my kids have told me how much watching me deal with the situation has inspired them.

I am not suggesting that you switch jobs, retrain or anything like that. Advise like that from a 62 year old who can't afford to retire is worthless. I would just like to give ya a few bullets:

-try not to get too cranky. I did and it was a rough two years

-remember yer family still loves you. Tell them you love them back.

-home theaters are a luxury. Two channel is a necessity.

-people here like ya, and will give ya support. Use this support.

I can't really figure a good ending to this sermon, except listen to and lean on your family, they probably love ya, and that can't be beat. Recognize your end game goals, and make a decision based on that. Good luck. Keep us advised.

JBCODD

P.S. "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got dat swing"

• Like 4