RF-7 series 1 sound dampening

bobcat30

I recently bought a pair of rf-7 and upon doing a house clean on them noticed through one of the ports looks as tho the sound dampening is falling off the walls of cabinets did they glue this on or was it layed in the cabinets loose? If it was glued what does a guy use to glue it back on?thanks in advance if anyone has photos greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a great amp!

A two channel amp with 250 watts per channel or more is often recommended for RF-7s.  Emotiva makes some nice options.  As long as you don't hear distortion with your current amp when you listen to it loudly you're good. 

Hey Bobcat,

Congratulations! Those 1st generation RF-7's are really great speakers. I had a set a while back, then my son used them for a while, then they eventually got sold to a family friend--so I get to visit them regularly, and still love them.

The bolt-on plastic outriggers for the spikes are fragile, so threat them gently. The other weak spot is the grille attachment pins, so be careful not to stress the grilles when moving them. Best to have a friend help if you ever need to move the speakers from room to room.

I think the threaded receptacles on the outriggers you identified are 1/4 x 20 thread, but check to be sure. I personally don't like spikes (we have hardwood floors) so I put screw-in appliance feet on mine from the local True Value hardware store. Then I put stick-on felt pads on the appliance feet to allow sliding them around for fine tuning the position. A lot of folks prefer spikes, and forum member Woofers and Tweeters has identified some really nice and relatively inexpensive spikes that are available from Parts Express. They come with a little metal floor protector to use if you have hardwood floors. I don't have the link right now, but if you browse the Parts Express website you'll find them.

I had the same concern as you about the "free-range" acoustic foam floating around inside the cabinet, and received the same reassurances not to worry about it! Just look at it as another thing, like speaker position, that you can play with to get them dialed in to your tastes! Have fun!

triceratops