Del Taco

Marvel

43 minutes ago, Marvel said:

@BigStewMan   Steve, this just opened up about 10 minutes from our house.  They are only doing carry out because of the pandemic, so there was a line good half block.

20200820_162113.thumb.jpg.98573c36950990bc4fd327b91c22fd72.jpg

generally, they have excellent fries. I'm pretty basic ... bean & cheese burrito w/ green sauce, then either a steak soft taco or regular soft taco (ground beef), put the taco inside the burrito with a package of inferno hot sauce on every bite. mix more hot sauce w/ ketchup to dip the fries. 

just basic fast food; but I like it. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, babadono said:

More nasty cheap junk food called "mexican". Don't waste your time, your 71 yr old gut will thank me.

you've been in the sun too long.  

I've been eating there since 1970 ... and my stomach is fine ... except for the part that bleeds. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

We just had Taco Bueno open near us.  There haven't been Taco Buenos around for more than 20 years.

they any good?  I've never heard of them.  

I personally don't care if something is authentic or not -- if I like the taste, I like the taste. 

there is this "authentic" Mexican restaurant in my town. This doesn't happen much, but one day I suddenly got a craving for some nachos. I go into that joint and the lady tells me "we don't serve nachos because they're not an authentic Mexican food item."  So, I got a burrito listed on their menu ... $16 and tasted no better than any fast food Mexican joint out there.

I'm thinking that if you're going to be a snob, then at least make sure that what you serve tastes good.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

they any good?  I've never heard of them.  

For Mexican drive thru fast food, Taco Bueno is better than average, much better than Taco Bell IMO.  Taco Bueno actually serves fresh salsa and pico de gallo.  They used to have good breakfast burritos, but the one near me stopped breakfast (maybe all of them?).  My college age sons would rather eat there than almost anywhere.  I have to admit that their chicken quesadillas are made fresh to order and are pretty good quality.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Seadog said:

For Mexican drive thru fast food, Taco Bueno is better than average, much better than Taco Bell IMO.  Taco Bueno actually serves fresh salsa and pico de gallo.  They used to have good breakfast burritos, but the one near me stopped breakfast (maybe all of them?).  My college age sons would rather eat there than almost anywhere.  I have to admit that their chicken quesadillas are made fresh to order and are pretty good quality.

I haven't been since they opened about a month or so ago.  I was in college the last time I had Taco Bueno.  Back then, it was better than Taco Bell.  Pretty much better across the board on all items.  Their red sauce was great!

• Like 1

We have a family owned Mexican resto very close to us. No drive through, the food is great  The nachos and fajitas are superb. We have a local place that does custom birritos that are about three inches in diameter. Pretty tasty stuff.

I'm with you, Steve... if I like the taste I don't care about the name on the front. Quite a number of good local spots... same with Asian food  some are good, a couple are great. Some to avoid. It's funny, but one of the Chinese buffets has Mexican cooks in the kitchen. 🤫

• Like 1

• Moderators

TacoSmell is the only fast food Mexican place here. But we have an authentic Mexican restaurant here, I told that to someone and they asked how do you know if it's authentic. Well because when immigration visits they shut down for a couple weeks to restaff go for a while and repeat. It is good food.   

If your ever in San Antonio TX, try this place, I loved it. https://www.bestpollosasados.com/

pollos-asados-los-nortenos.jpg

bbq luthers,.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

We have a family owned Mexican resto very close to us. No drive through, the food is great  The nachos are superb. We have a local place that does custom birritos that are about three inches in diameter. Pretty tasty stuff.

I'm with you, Steve... if I like the taste I don't care about the name on the front. Quite a number of good local spots... same with Asian food  some are good, a couple are great. Some to avoid. It's funny, but one of the Chinese buffets has Meican cooks in the kitchen. 🤫

back in LA, which is close to half Hispanic, there are plenty of authentic joints and some very good ones. I'm not comparing Del Taco to those -- apples and oranges. No reason a man can't enjoy both.  I've been to a few horrible del tacos, it all depends on the local franchise owner. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dtel said:

TacoSmell is the only fast food Mexican place here. But we have an authentic Mexican restaurant here, I told that to someone and they asked how do you know if it's authentic. Well because when immigration visits they shut down for a couple weeks to restaff go for a while and repeat. It is good food.   

If your ever in San Antonio TX, try this place, I loved it. https://www.bestpollosasados.com/

pollos-asados-los-nortenos.jpg

bbq luthers,.jpg

I'll remember that.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

For chain store Mexican I like Taco Cabana.  They have great fajitas and the best salsa bar.

I used to go to TC on a regular basis for years until I broke a tooth on a stainless steel bolt that was in the pico de gallo (it probably fell from some kitchen equipment). I showed it and the broken tooth to the manager.  He grabbed the bolt and refused to take any responsibility in the matter.  I eventually had to take TC to small claims court for compensation for the dental bill.  I stopped going there, and that was about 15 years ago.  I probably would have anyway because Rosa's Cantina opened several locations in the area and the food is better (and no bolts so far).

• Sad 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Seadog said:

Looks like a great excuse for a road trip to SA!

It's not fancy by any stretch, but it's good.

Don' t even know what this stuff was, I don't know the names most Mexican food, or Spanish which would really help here.  :huh:

bbq luther.jpg

bbq luthers.jpg