Del Taco

Marvel

2 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Is it true, out there some of the best food available is from the food trucks?

that's a tough one ... I'm not "food truck guy" normally; but there is a truck that doesn't drive around, it's parked always in the same spot.  it's on olympic blvd and called El Capitan and it is super good.  Now, the area isn't so hot and it can be a bit unnerving; but the tacos are fantastic. not sure if it's east LA or Boyle Heights -- and heard they may may have moved to a neighboring side street, but not sure. there was a church across the street that advertised an outreach to gang members.  I've never had any trouble going to that food truck. one time, I did get scared. I ordered and was waiting and this real tough looking guy, with a tattoo on his face was staring at me for more than just a few seconds. I nonchalantly moved to the far end of the crowd and he moved too. then he approached me and I thought this is it ... the guy walks up and just wanted to ask a question about the shirt that I was wearing. But when tough looking guys stare at you and follow you around, strange thoughts go through your mind. 

Go with a local at first until you're comfortable moving around in some of those neighborhoods and know where you're going ... a wrong turn can really ruin your day. 

Years ago, I worked for a friend that had a delivery business. we went all over LA and deep into some of the neighborhoods. one of the guys that worked there was in the delivery truck in a neighborhood and these gang bangers were stopped in street talking and blocking the road. the truck was too big to turn around and he sat there for 30 minutes until they moved. he knew that if he blew the horn, they'd come after him. You just got to use your head, know the area and don't be like me that loves to go exploring. I'm far more careful these days. but the tacos are great!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

that's a tough one ... I'm not "food truck guy" normally; but there is a truck that doesn't drive around, it's parked always in the same spot.  it's on olympic blvd and called El Capitan and it is super good.  Now, the area isn't so hot and it can be a bit unnerving; but the tacos are fantastic. not sure if it's east LA or Boyle Heights -- and heard they may may have moved to a neighboring side street, but not sure. there was a church across the street that advertised an outreach to gang members.  I've never had any trouble going to that food truck. one time, I did get scared. I ordered and was waiting and this real tough looking guy, with a tattoo on his face was staring at me for more than just a few seconds. I nonchalantly moved to the far end of the crowd and he moved too. then he approached me and I thought this is it ... the guy walks up and just wanted to ask a question about the shirt that I was wearing. But when tough looking guys stare at you and follow you around, strange thoughts go through your mind. 

Go with a local at first until you're comfortable moving around in some of those neighborhoods and know where you're going ... a wrong turn can really ruin your day. 

Years ago, I worked for a friend that had a delivery business. we went all over LA and deep into some of the neighborhoods. one of the guys that worked there was in the delivery truck in a neighborhood and these gang bangers were stopped in street talking and blocking the road. the truck was too big to turn around and he sat there for 30 minutes until they moved. he knew that if he blew the horn, they'd come after him. You just got to use your head, know the area and don't be like me that loves to go exploring. I'm far more careful these days. but the tacos are great!

I've never eaten from a truck, maybe a bag of chips and a drink. But Ive heard people bragging about them. I will definitely try to stay safe, I'm not into the fight scene, even though I might look like a brawler. (I'm a lover)  I will listen to all the suggestions from people that have been there. I do love to explore though, but mostly I'm out in the country doing that. Thanks for the info.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, babadono said:

Prolly...just know I can make better at home with mucho mejor ingrediantes and not worry about a DUI. And food poisoning.

not saying you're not a good cook; but don't know what that has to do with anything we're talking about nor do I know what getting a DUI has to do with eating at Del Taco. 

they don't claim to be a high-end restaurant nor do they claim to have "home made" items. so comparisons are irrelevant. 

sorry my liking of the place brings out such bitterness in you. probably best to just ignore me then. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

probably best to just ignore me then. 

You're not getting off that easy:) It is not hostility towards you or anyone on my part. When it comes to food it is ALL just opinions anyway, right? But I have had bad experiences at fast food joints and pretty much stay away. And the DUI thing was my weak attempt at a joke as I tend to like imbibing when I cook/eat Mexican food.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, babadono said:

You're not getting off that easy:) It is not hostility towards you or anyone on my part. When it comes to food it is ALL just opinions anyway, right? But I have had bad experiences at fast food joints and pretty much stay away. And the DUI thing was my weak attempt at a joke as I tend to like imbibing when I cook/eat Mexican food.

you're right ... just opinions.  I haven't had the bad experiences that you have. There has been the occasional trip to the bathroom; but the only time that I really think that I've gotten food poisoning was from buying a rotisserie chicken from the deli at Albertson's. a few hours later, I was on the toilet, sweating like a pig and feeling like I was going to pass out. when I stood up and saw myself in the mirror, I was white as a sheet. 

I've probably upset my stomach as many times from my own cooking than I have from a fast food joint. 

actually, this conversation reminds me of when I was young and didn't have a lot of money. Wanted to go to Vegas anyway, so booked a cheap room at The Plaza (at the end of Freemont Street).  When we walked into the room, my wife turned to me and said (very seriously) "don't ever bring me to a place like this again."  She's seeing all these fancy places on the strip and comparing the two, and the Plaza doesn't compare well. disclaimer:  she spoiled me and I don't like staying at cheap motels or hotels anymore, I will if I have to; but I know going in what to expect. 

I've seen Queen with Freddie Mercury and other times with Adam Lambert. When I didn't compare Adam to Freddie, I found that it was a really good show and he does a good job. Those that walked out talking about how Adam is no Freddie probably didn't enjoy the concert as much. 

we're good man ... no hard feelings.  Still, ignoring me wouldn't be the worst advice you've ever gotten 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1