KP-250

KP-250 Guy

7 hours ago, KP-250 Guy said:

I have a pair of old KP-250 speakers that still sound great. The Klipsch site says they were produced from 2000 until 2004, but I purchased mine in 1994. Anyone else an owner of these pre-production speakers?

There were KP-250 made before 2000 By Klipsch  , and some as early as 1989    @Dave A     has 2 pairs,   he can fill you in on the differences

--please  ,   post pictures of the speakers and indicate with a picture , the serial no -  that will tell us when these were actually  made by KLIPSCH -

Documentation of the Pro line of Klipsch is not that good. I have never found any solid production information on those older KP-250's and if you do find out let us all know. That being said the late 80's KP-301's and 250's are my favorites.

True, the Klipsch records essentially went dark when computers came on line in the early 80's.  Leaving a written record was not considered important.

FWIW, the KP-250  is essentially an update of the earlier HIP.  The HIP was designed by D.B. Keele in 1977 (his very brief stint at K&A).  The first logbook entry for HIP is #1850 on 11/15/78.  Not sure why this was the starting serial number.  If anyone has a lower serial number than 1850, I'd sure like to know about it.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

@Dave A see Jim's response just above.

I believe that's the answer.

Which prompt's me to ask the Curator, @JRH, have you ever had occasion to come across a product that was built prior to what was documented in the log books as being "first"?

Example, Product X, first sold on Y date, but there is a pair with bonafide labels showing a production date, or lower S/N than what was documented in log book as being "the first."

This may be the first time I've seen what could be termed "pre-production" activity documented in a logbook, although I would not be surprised at all if it surfaces again.  In this case, there is no evidence that the 2 LaScalas were ever shipped or sold.  Formality was not always a priority! 

On 8/24/2020 at 7:27 AM, Dave A said:

he late 80's KP-301's and 250's are my favorites.

and  what were the drivers in the KP 250  ?--------K42  which should have been Eminence  -K53   -K79------

3 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

and  what were the drivers in the KP 250  ?--------K42  which should have been Eminence  -K53   -K79------

I would assume so as I've seen even earlier models of the HIP-II's with those parts and have owned a few sets of 250's and 250-II's and all had those parts except the tweeter was the k-792 tractrix in the II's.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I would assume so as I've seen even earlier models of the HIP-II's with those parts and have owned a few sets of 250's and 250-II's and all had those parts except the tweeter was the k-792 tractrix in the II's.

thank you ----