To Jolida or not to Jolida, that is the question

What's a DAC

I have a pair of Walnut K-horns (thanks to members here who pointed me to them) They were original owner and extremely well taken care of in their lifetime. I have them placed in a large room in my house, about the size of a double garage with vaulted ceilings. These are currently driven by an Emotiva XPA-2 300 wpc amp running in 2 channel mode with XLR input from a DAC. 

Sound is nice, clean and reminiscent of electronic amplification. 

I demo'd these at the owners house running through a Jolida 70wpc tube amp and they sounded "different". I don't know if it's kosher to say that based on all the other differences in room acoustics between the original owners house and my house. The soundstage is right where it should be. I just get the feeling that it could be better by going to a tube amp. 

I found a new Jolida 3502p with 2550 tubes for a killer price. I was just wondering what everyone would suggest to really wake these babies up from a music reproduction standpoint. 

Sorry I don't have the time to list all the different room acoustic principles, suffice it to say I put some serious thought into placement, sealing back of cabinets to wall, etc. The original owner also included a really nice set of bi-amp capable cables, which I am using to drive the speakers but not in a bi-amp mode. 

TO JOLIDA -

any good quality amplifier will do the job ,  whether tube or SS ----------but if you prefer Tubes , the Jolida  3502p amps  are being sold with rebates  for 1000$ ---you can't go wrong ,  that's what they sell for used ----

thebes,

I have a Technics SL-1200 turntable with a nice Shure type 3 cartridge and about 300 albums. I use the DAC for music I don't have on vinyl (Buckethead) and to process my CD collection. 

The turntable I picked up from the lady who sold me my Forte ll's which I just replaced the crossover networks with ALK models. Definite improvement. 

The K-horns already had ALK crossovers from the original owner. I also have the original Klipsch crossovers that came out of the K-horns. 

The Forte's sound great through the Emotiva. I may just move that amp to the living room and pick up the Jolida for the listening room. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I've had good luck with Jolida products, almost pulled the trigger on that same unit some time ago still look at them every so often. I'd be curious to hear your impressions if you decide to go that route.

I pulled the trigger on the Jolida. Should be shipped by Thursday. Full price including shipping was $1099 for black chassis and upgraded tubes. 

This should be interesting. 

Now to find a reasonably priced power conditioner. One thing about Arizona is monsoon storms. The lightning is horrific. I usually unplug all my electronics for POM. These storms are sometimes a daily occurrence and get tedious. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, What's a DAC said:

. One thing about Arizona is monsoon storms. The lightning is horrific.

if it's that bad , you would need an independent power source  that could  power the stereo  via batteries even if there is no power outage  , any glitches would not affect it -

16 minutes ago, What's a DAC said:

I pulled the trigger on the Jolida. Should be shipped by Thursday. Full price including shipping was $1099 for black chassis and upgraded tubes. 

Wow that is a great price! Do you have a link if there's more available? Thanks.

On 8/23/2020 at 11:40 AM, jjptkd said:

That is a really good deal anyone on the fence should not just jump but dive on this! Once the sale is over you could likely resell at same cost if you decide it's not a good fit. 

I think so too. That's where I bought mine. Not sure this is so much a sale as relieving inventory for new models coming out from Black Ice.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/22/2020 at 1:35 PM, RandyH said:

TO JOLIDA -

any good quality amplifier will do the job ,  whether tube or SS ----------but if you prefer Tubes , the Jolida  3502p amps  are being sold with rebates  for 1000$ ---you can't go wrong ,  that's what they sell for used ----

any idea where to find a 3502p amp? thank you