New Gear vs Vintage Gear

salbake

On 8/24/2020 at 1:27 AM, henry4841 said:

I am sorry for giving my opinion on your forum Medwin. I will refrain from doing so anymore because I do not like the way you treat people who disagree with you. 

I just found a wonderful feature of this forum that enables you to ignore anyone that harasses you. Not that I have anyone that does so. 

• Like 2

I think the only time I've owned "new" gear....  it would now be considered vintage!  I've never felt that electronics make as large of impact as directly as the speakers do so I've always tried to focus on them first.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, angelaudio said:

For me personally, I'm more interested in the sound rather than fancy features and quite frankly, the less gadgets, the better. I've been comparing a lot of components and I think direct listening is the best experience. 

Jubilees would be perfect for you :)

I know what your are saying, but for me, the OP's Yamaha in teak, the blue meters of McIntosh, look so beautiful my brain converts whatever is coming out of the speakers to sound excellence. 

Pink noise even sounds better through a beautiful piece of vintage gear.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Hornographic said:  @muel, "that reminds me of the Yamaha 820 I used to run in the late 70s. Loved that thing."
Muel said:  @ Hornographic, "don’t blame you! Natural Sound is a good description."  

My "Natural Sound" CA-2010, cousin to the OP's CR-1020, still provides me with much listening enjoyment.  Though I can afford something newer, not so sure I can justify the expense as my ears probably wouldn't be able to detect any difference in audio quality between the old and new hi-fi electronics.

IMG_0244.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 2:04 PM, artto said:

The guy at Magnolia Audio tries to explain to me how the MA5300 is an "end point", not a central component. Excuse me?

On 8/24/2020 at 3:42 PM, dwilawyer said:

"An end point" That's certainly true, the end point is the speakers.

When I worked in a university bureaucracy, every time someone used the words "end point" it was some kind of cop out.  They would say something like, "We interviewed the end point users," but had always stopped gathering information several points away from the end, often consulting people who knew next to nothing about the needs at the end. 

Not sure how relevant my comment is to the thread, but...

A guy locally is selling his Pioneer SX 1250 for $2800(!). 

I know it has the reputation as a highpoint in period receivers, etc.  But that kind of money will buy some excellent modern equipment.  

What kind of difference would one hear when listening to properly restored older equipment, and why bother when one can get the latest and greatest for similar $$?  

To me, the older pieces, and I have more than my share of them, are like classic cars.  Great to look at and putter around in, but not so much fun for the cross country trip.  

This is a funny subject. it seems that many things are made cheaper over time.  I mainly use vintage eq. I use a Mx 1000 for bass management, a HK cd player for preamp and cd, a yamaha t 85 tuner PX 3 turntable. These were all ear selected for synergy.  I have tried some modern gear  oppo cd players, sony "HD" tuners..... it didnt sound good in my space.....we all have different ears and tastes, remember ears are like horns and microphones....and fingerprints, snowflakes...

12 hours ago, luddite said:

A guy locally is selling his Pioneer SX 1250 for $2800(!). 

On a whim, I used SearchTempest and found three SX-1250s within 500 miles of St. Louis -- $2300, $2500, $2800. I guess they've established a mystique. But I remember when they were new -- their only claim to fame, according to their advertisements, was that they were "the world's most powerful receiver". Great, I guess, if you're going to use one as an arc welder.

Back then, speakers were sold on the basis of their magnet weight, which was just about as meaningful a specification.

• Haha 1

The amplifier was very well respected way back when and very desirable for many audiophiles that could not afford them at that time. Nostalgia is probably one thing driving up the price and not necessarily the performance compared to modern designed amplifiers. Do not get me wrong, I would love to have one but not at the price they are selling for now. Supply and demand determines price and many that could not afford it when introduced can now. I just watched a video last week about the restoration of the SX1250. For those that are interested in those kind of things. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjTjAwaopXk&ab_channel=xraytonyb  Maybe I can find one at a flea market one day for $50 but I doubt it. Probably not a lot sold in my area in the day. The prices on Ebay are very similar to price asked above. 

53 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

The amplifier was very well respected way back when and very desirable for many audiophiles that could not afford them at that time. 

To each his own. Pioneer gear was never high on my list, especially in the late 1970s. YMMV, and that's OK with me.

• Like 1

The SX1250 has the most awesome bass of any receiver.  The classic car analogy isn't bad... might not be the fastest anymore but still fast, looks and sounds good getting you there!   Can you get better amplification for 2,800?  Yeah, but that's not the whole point when talking about vintage receivers.  These things are like ice cream to me and I like lots of flavors!   

The top end vintage Pioneer, Yamaha, and Marantz sound really good!  They all need to be rebuilt if they haven't been by now though.  Heritage Klipsch might do fine with low power but it doesn't mind lots of power!