New Gear vs Vintage Gear

salbake

On 9/6/2020 at 1:35 AM, scalawag said:
Hornographic said:  @muel, "that reminds me of the Yamaha 820 I used to run in the late 70s. Loved that thing."
Muel said:  @ Hornographic, "don’t blame you! Natural Sound is a good description."  

My "Natural Sound" CA-2010, cousin to the OP's CR-1020, still provides me with much listening enjoyment.  Though I can afford something newer, not so sure I can justify the expense as my ears probably wouldn't be able to detect any difference in audio quality between the old and new hi-fi electronics.

IMG_0244.jpeg

Absolutely LOVE the features of this integrated! Viva La MODE, TONE, BALANCE Controls and Wattage meters!  ..Sadly, these are all but gone these days.

• Like 2

Back in the early 80s, when I was a young teenager, I convinced my parents to invest in what was then called a 'stereo tower'. They bought a nice Onkyo system. Not high end, but it must have cost about a month wage. 

I still use the turntable and the amplifier (A-05). Aged 40, they sound amazing, esp on my 1972 Heresy speakers. 

PSX_20200909_212527.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion, companies continuously strive to find cheaper ways to manufacture products and will cut corners where they can. Certainly that's a pretty general statement but it applies to almost everything made today. My recently acquired Dynakit Stereo 120 NG solid state amp is my favorite. It has provided the most impressive spatial separation I've ever heard in any solid state device and even competes with all my tube gear and these are all generally old designs. My guess is that it's probably because the Stereo 120 SS doesn't have all that noise reduction electronics in it. I don't care about a bit of noise as long as the music sounds good but you get these weird OCD people who spend more time listening to noise with their ears pressed up next to the tweeters than they do listening to music. I don't think those kind of people can enjoy themselves. 

Here's my video on them

1 hour ago, angelaudio said:

With regard to the newer Yamaha A-S1200, it's a big improvement over the S501 but it's dry and lacks spatial separation. It sounds two dimensional IMO. 

Interesting, was this impression from a brick and mortar store or in your own invironment ?

At my friends house. He actually likes that sound very muffled and closed, dark sound. Like a towel thrown over a speaker and has all these reasons for it that are more over my head. It just doesn't sound realistic. I remember hearing these Elac Debut people rave about, testing them here at home which he likes as well, but I thought they were absolute crap. Muffled sounding. I can't stand that sound.

yamaha.JPEG.PNG

Correct, and the Yamaha S501 was a better match with my Heresy II than with his B&W. I sold him the S501 in this video and told him about the more muffled sound which he prefers. When I heard it on his B&W it sounded okay. IMO, it wasn't as good a match or as you guys would call synergy. So, I encouraged him on the S1200 because I believed it would have more detail and it did compared the the S501. I decided to bring my Dynakit over to his place to compare it to the S1200 and I could tell right away, from a relative perspective, it had more detail than the S501 but still had that same 2D presentation but just with more detail than the S501. It was like the tweeters finally started working on his speakers. Yes, it's a different room, but it's clearly obvious of that the modern Yamaha's have a more 2D sound. I would love to hear a vintage Yamaha equivalent instead. In fairness to others here though, my comments with regard to the OP tend to also be more of a SS vs tube discussion but for me, I'm happy that older vintage gear can sound so amazing. 

• Like 1