What Klipsch for me?

rmurazzi

Hello,

Been a member of this forum for years but rarely post. I've read many past posts and see the level of insight that is displayed. I am in need of some insight at this point as I have "analysis paralysis". Hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

I would like to upgrade my current speakers. I listen to a variety of music types, Jazz, Blues, Soul, Funk & Rock (not as much Rock as I used to). My room is roughly 13" x 20" and I sit about 10" feet from my system off to one side mainly on my couch. My amp is a Crown XLI 2500 and is driven by the pre outs from a Yamaha receiver. My speakers are JBL CF-150s with modified tweeters (Selenium ST200). I have others speakers in house including Klipsch F2s that I know are not the best example of Klipsch sound (sorry don't mean to insult anyone). Some of the others are house brand from a stereo store in Binghamton, NY now out of business. I also have a Parasound 200 WPC amp in storage and a Carver 5 channel amp as well.

I have been reading about various driver configuration (MTM, TMM, TMM 2.5). Also read a bit about the Zilch inspired Econowave designs and have read through the white papers by Wayne Parham. I am not opposed to building something from scratch but am inclined to re-build or modify an existing design/speaker. I was leaning toward a two way design ala Econowave but am also intrigued by the Epic series from Klipsch as well as the Heritage series. I also like JBL and Altec. I also have a pair of Altec model 5s that were my first speakers. Still have them playing in my garage after I redid the surrounds. Other than my F2 I have not heard many Klipschs or JBLs or Altecs for that matter. There are no dealers near me anymore so I have been mostly relying on Youtubes and forums for advice (sounds familiar I would imagine for some). 

I want to get something better - possibly my last pair of speakers. At 61 years old my high frequency hearing is not what it was. So what should I look for that would be a significant upgrade (Klipsch Epics, RF7, Heresy, Chorus, Forte)? I should mention that the only other Klipsch speakers I have heard are LaScalas that a friend of mine had - thanks to me (another story). Back then we thought they were the ultimate! They would not fit in my space however. I don't think I would want something that big regardless.

Comments appreciated.🙂

Ron    

• Moderators
3 hours ago, rmurazzi said:

I am not opposed to building something from scratch but am inclined to re-build or modify an existing design/speaker.

IMO

Unless you really know what your doing don't waste money and time doing either of those. Go with a proven design, switching out parts here and there without knowing what else your really changing in the design it's silly. It's like throwing parts together in a box without having a clue on what you did or real testing to know what was even done. It takes more than a downloaded or paid for program and a mic bought online to really know what's going on, that is just very vague as far as test go, a small part,  but people fool themselves all the time into believing they have it covered.   :pwk_bs:

Rplace ideas above are pretty standard in the used market.