KG4 or KG5.5

Emory

I have a chance to buy a pair of KG4's or KG5.5's.  Asking the experienced Klipsch guys/gals here which is the better and smoother sounding speaker.  The sellers are asking 500 for the pair.  Thanks for your help.  Both appear to be in excellent condition.

• Like 1

If both stock and in excellent condition and are not black, think both just a bit rich on price. Just me.

Having owned both that the 5.5s would represent the most bang for the buck stated. The 4's are no slouch in either bass or high. Liked the balance of both in sound with the 4's a touch better. Both being 2 way designs, think the Tractrix horn in the 5's maybe a smidgeon better in the highs as far as clarity.

If both priced the same, would give the edge to the 5's as being more versatile as regards HT.

Miss both of those sound. A difference between yes. Both good. Think the 5's want a little more juice to come alive.

Maybe an audition would help.

• Like 2

You can  look for Heresy speakers or Forte 1 for this kind of price -   the H1  is built with real wood -and you have a K55V and a K77 -

the KG 5.5 is the one to go for in any KG series , make sure to audition the speakers as parts are not cheap or  easy to find as far as the woofers -

http://images.klipsch.com/Brochure_940700_Kg_point_5_series_635164772843956000.pdf

4 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

parts are not cheap or sometimes easy to find as far as the woofers

I agree with RandyHOOO!  I am in the process of restoring two pairs of KG4.2's, and finding an original replacement woofer is very difficult. Even buying after market replacement woofers is expensive... and they still don't perform exactly like the originals... if that's what you are going for.  I ended up buying new woofers from partsexpress that worked out really well.  But, if you want to keep it all original, good luck.

My thought would be to take your $500 and put it towards something better.

Good luck.  Finding the right speaker is a never ending quest!

• Like 1

So based on your kind replies, I'm leaning toward the KG4's if they are smoother sounding than the KG5.5.  I definitely do not want a bright high end like the R26F's I have now.  I will make an offer for less on both if I decide to buy.  I missed a pair of Heresies by a week.  Damn.  The KG4's are oiled walnut and the 5.5's are black satin.

Edited by Emory
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Emory said:

So based on your kind replies, I'm leaning toward the KG4's if they are smoother sounding than the KG5.5.  I definitely do not want a bright high end like the R26F's I have now.  I will make an offer for less on both if I decide to buy.  I missed a pair of Heresies by a week.  Damn.  The KG4's are oiled walnut and the 5.5's are black satin.

Was wondering earlier, are you talking $500 for both pairs total.?

11 minutes ago, Emory said:

No 500 per pair, two different sellers

Cool mine were Walnut and the wide horn of the exponential seemed to follow me around corners it seemed. Really liked the bass output, about a 8-10 inches out... Think the phenolic versus the aluminum in the 5' made for mellow.

While still high, think offer of 4 more reasonable if, really good condition.

Edited by billybob
Price point

This is one of those situations where I'd say 5.5's have the edge by themselves but would prefer the 4's with an added subwoofer. Both are nice speakers but agree the price seems a little high walnut 4's I'd think 400 is pushing it black 5.5's I'd say again 400 is probably pushing it too.

• Thanks 1

I'm thinking I'll wait until I see a nice pair of Heresey's for sale.  I think it will be worth the wait.  They are available on ebay but no bargains there and I'm not paying another 300-250 to ship, especially with their asking high price.

• Like 1

the Heresy had the HIP  -----which is phenomenal -with EVM12L  or k42 Eminence ----and let's not forget the KP250 powerhouse , all are modifications to the Heresy cab --we call them Baby Cornwalls ----

On 8/23/2020 at 4:26 PM, Emory said:

I'm thinking I'll wait until I see a nice pair of Heresey's for sale.  I think it will be worth the wait.  They are available on ebay but no bargains there and I'm not paying another 300-250 to ship, especially with their asking high price.

Keeping it real, cool.