RESOLVED - Recommendation for 2-Channel HT Speakers?

Mighty McIntosh

UPDATE: On Bill's recommendation, grabbed a pair of RP-160M on sale for $374.

Looking for a 2-channel pair of speakers for my living room TV. Budget: prefer $200-$300, but willing to go to $400 max for exceptional value. Using a Sony STR-DH130 (100 WPC) SS receiver, which has surprisingly decent sound, but this is not an audiophile set up.

I recently had my Klipsch Heresies in this role, and they set a standard I'm hoping to come as close as possible to: superb clarity, terrific detail, palpable but not overwhelming presence, good-enough bass. Now the Heresies are back upstairs with my McIntosh for music-only. I've had to put back my old Pro Media 2.1 with the TV, and by comparison it's like listening through a glorified boom box. Much of the clarity and most of the detail is veneered-over.

Based on my reading so far, I would think (never having heard them) that the RB-5s would be ideal, but can only find one offering on eBay for over $400 w/shipping, and they don't have any grills (for living room, this is a problem). There's a pair in Garage Sale, but they're over 4 hours away, which is about 2 hours each way too many. (I'm in Western Massachusetts.)

What do you recommend? I realize I'm not going to find Heresy-quality in my price range, but given that this is for HT use only, how close can I get?

Edited by Mighty McIntosh
Recommendation Satisfied
  • Like 1