Denbeau

If not really wanting to bear down on this, which may well take time and research to fix, if you're into electronic Diy, most cost effective is getting a used sub off Craigslist or other if money a problem.

With the sub off lightly push in the voice coil located in center of the speaker. Listen for scratching sound.

On 9/1/2020 at 7:22 AM, Denbeau said:

No scratching.. just a little thud... 

Yes I'm not going to dig down into it.... I was hoping to get it back ... but I'll start looking for a new one... 

I get a new one,  just to know I'm starting with a working one.  

Try it with a cheater plug, for the heck of it and see on your sub.

3 hours ago, Denbeau said:

no luck with the Cheater plug. I guess I'm done... wish I knew someone who would want it for parts...? Locally...too heavey to ship! 

Had a RW10 that was bad. Put it on Craigslist for 20 bucks. Kid wanted to make it passive. Free

works for some.

You gotta love the cheap amps Klipsch used in their subs!  I purchased my first new sub when I was in college,(1990's) a Klipsch sw12 from United Audio in Illinois.  It was great, until the amp started to make loud humming noises.  It was covered under warranty, so I got it fixed and eventually sold it to my friend (Yes, he knew about the amp replacement!) 

Then, I had the opportunity to buy a lot of 4 Klipsch SW15's for pretty cheap... thinking that even if one or two of them worked, it would still be a good deal! (allegedly they came from a football players house around Chicago...so, I expected them to be well used!)  When I fired them up, 1 of the subs buzzed loudly, two of the other ones had loud pops occasionally, and one worked fine. 

So, I called a respected local electronics repair shop to inquire about getting the amps repaired.  He said he was fairly familiar with the amps in Klipsch subs.  He said that a surprisingly substantial portion of his klipsch warranty repair work was fixing them!  He shared that they are very cheap Chinese amps and we both agreed that Klipsch made a huge error in choosing the amps for their subs, because other than that, these subs were pretty decent.  Anyway, it wasn't worth getting them repaired, so, I decided I would do a little Frankensteining and put together 3 subs that work out of the 4 that I purchased.

After some testing this is what I did:

The one with the loud humming noise had a bad amp and a blown driver, but a good passive radiator. So, I removed the passive and used it on another one that was pretty badly damaged.I gave away the cabinet to another friend to use in his project after pulling the amp and blown driver.

I sold the only properly working one after replacing the pushed in passive with the good one that I removed. I sold it for what I bought all 4 of them for, so it wasn't a loss!

I turned the remaining two with the popping noises into passive subs by removing the amp modules and fabricating plates with binding posts to fill the void.  These were my main subs for about 5 years until I built something better.

So, needless to say, I will never buy another Klipsch sub again. (NEW OR USED)  There are just so many better options available today. (Although my brother has never had any issues with his RSW15 and he always has music going, so they did something right with that model!)

• 4 weeks later...

My trusty old KSW150 has gone silent. (think a power surge killed it) Red light still turns on for off/on/auto, but it doesn't receive a signal (green light) from the Yamaha. No sound at all. Not even when plug/unplug cables, etc. Just dead. No idea what's wrong with it, but I liked the sub and really don't want to spend 200-300$ on a new one. Just wondering if anyone knows of a good replacement plate amp that'll fit it, w/o a lot of fabrication? Thanks, Mick (note: I'll test the actual woofer before buying a new amp assembly) TIA. 

• 2 years later...