WTB - KLF-30 plastic horn.

crunchman12001

I found some 30's  yesterday...

During transport both the Mid-range drivers cracked off the horns. I had them on a blanket in the wife's SUV, laying on the backs. Needless to say, I am quite bummed. I did have one spare in stock but I am still in need of one plastic horn. There are others that will fit the K-52 driver such as a KLF-20.

If anyone has one, please PM me. (Chorus II behind the 30 for size comparison. The 30's are big)

Thanks.

KIMG1313.jpg

The 30's sound better than I thought they would. I have had the KLF-20's in the past but the 30's are on a whole different level. I was gonna flip these but after I heard them, I decided to keep them. I will try and glue them back together but it would be temporary at best. I'll find another horn soon. 

As noted above, I did have one good spare and a second spare that has a small corner crack that will work for now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crunchman12001 said:

The 30's sound better than I thought they would. I have had the KLF-20's in the past but the 30's are on a whole different level. I was gonna flip these but after I heard them, I decided to keep them.

I thought the same thing very good speakers right up there with the Chorus II's in my book woofers won't take near the punishment though just a warning I broke a couple in my pair was lucky enough to find a couple of factory replacements on eBay at the time but they are rare. My brother still has them and I'm always pleasantly surprised every time I hear them at how really good they do sound. Congrats on the new speakers!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, veloceleste said:

There is a guy in Delaware parting out klf30's. No affiliation and don't know if he is selling horns. Here is a link to one of his CL ads.

https://delaware.craigslist.org/ele/d/hockessin-klipsch-klf30-oem-midranges/7178912216.html

Thank you for the link, I messaged him.

11 hours ago, crunchman12001 said:

As noted above, I did have one good spare and a second spare that has a small corner crack that will work for now.

how did they break off -   that's really odd -   were they hit hard  while on the road -------horns just do not break off that easily -

24 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

how did they break off -   that's really odd -   were they hit hard  while on the road -------horns just do not break off that easily -

I don't know. I bought them off a guy that had them in a storage unit. He transported them from Florida in a moving van. The one thing I did not do during the inspection and will do in the future is shine a flashlight in the mid horn to verify the magnet is still attached. The could have been broke when I bought them. They definitely were not bumped during the ride home in my wife's SUV. I was bummed but got a great deal. Moving on, just looking for another horn.

Also, if you search, it happens a lot more often than you think.

KIMG1316.jpg

20 hours ago, crunchman12001 said:

I don't know. I bought them off a guy that had them in a storage unit. He transported them from Florida in a moving van. The one thing I did not do during the inspection and will do in the future is shine a flashlight in the mid horn to verify the magnet is still attached. The could have been broke when I bought them. They definitely were not bumped during the ride home in my wife's SUV. I was bummed but got a great deal. Moving on, just looking for another horn.

Also, if you search, it happens a lot more often than you think.

KIMG1316.jpg

That looks like an easy fix little bit of superglue and you're good to go.

Those horns are ridiculously flimsy compared to older forte II and Chorus II horns and would likely benefit from added damping material 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jjptkd said:

That looks like an easy fix little bit of superglue and you're good to go.

Those horns are ridiculously flimsy compared to older forte II and Chorus II horns and would likely benefit from added damping material 

I have found that out the hard way. Cheap plastic and 30 years of age are not a good combination.

I think I will go for a 2 part epoxy, they broke in a good spot compared to others I have seen. The epoxy should hold until I find a replacement.

• Like 1

Gasket that goes between the Mid-range driver and plasti

1 minute ago, Mems70 said:

Hi bro’s my klf30 driver has a orange rubber ring, do you know what is for?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

It is a gasket that belongs between the mid-range driver and the plastic horn to seal it.

On 8/24/2020 at 12:18 AM, RandyH000 said:

super glue will bond  the plastic crack -------bondo will seal it up  so strong , there is no chance of cracking again  --( until you find a spare )-----

I'm with Randy on this. Use cyanoacrylate (superglue) to put the parts together. After it sets, I would get some JB Weld to go around the outside. It starts to set in about 3-5 minutes, and holds really well. Probably easier than messing with Bondo.

Or use the new clear Gorilla Glue. It is non expanding/foaming, although it takes about 24 hours to cure completely.

• Like 1