The Klipsch Audio Community
Cornwalled

Peavey Project System: Should I?

Hello,

I have an opportunity to pick up as many Peavey Project series cabs as I can handle for $50 a cab.  Trying to decide if it would be a good purchase or not.  I already have a set of MF1-X horns, so I would just need the midbass cabs (forget the model) and the FH-1 LF cabs.  I already have a Tuba HT for sub duty.  Trying to decide if it's something I should pursue.

My current setup:

ULF: Bill Fitzmaurice Tuba HT (25 Hz to 60 Hz)

LF: Acoustic 301 W-Bin with Cerwin Vega 18" (60 Hz to 125 Hz)

MF: 2x12 Electro-Voice TL cabs with EVM-12L Series II (125 Hz to 1.8 KHz)

HF: MF1-X (above 1.8KHz)

I'm using a Driverack PA for the mains, and a Rane AC22 for the Tuba HT.  Quad amplified.

The question is whether it would be an upgrade over what I already have.   On one hand, I could see a potential synergy with a matching system.  On the other hand, with a lot of careful tweaking, I've actually managed to get this system sounding surprisingly good.

Those EV cabs are definitely very solid beasts.  They're 1 1/4" solid birch plywood with extensive bracing, fiberglass filled, and each driver has it's own internal subenclosure.  I'd hate to put the Peaveys in and feel like they're a downgrade.

Concerning the Acoustic 301s, I've been told ideally they should be crossed over higher.  However, if I run them up too much higher, they get rather boomy in this room.  Would the Peavey FH-1s be better in that regard?  The seller also has FH-2s available for $50 each, which I imagine would be quite superior, however they're also huge!  I don't know if I could accommodate them, much less get them up the stairs to the theater room myself.

So, if you were in my shoes, what would you do?  On one side, it's probably the cheapest I'll be able to find this stuff.  On the other, I don't want to get stuck with something lousy that I can't get rid of.  It seems like these cabs are darn near worthless on the used market.

Peavey Project.jpg

The cost of the plywood alone in each box is worth more than that.  If you think that you'll have better performance, intend to acquire the relevant drivers to try them out, and have the storage space available to hold them until you get them all together for your listening room, I'd personally try them out.  You can turn around and probably sell them at a profit if things don't work out. 

If you've used Hornresp in the past, that would be a great way to check the woofers that you intend to use before you buy them.  You can measure the internal dimensions of the horn folds, etc. to load up Hornresp to see the approximate SPL response and perhaps other predicted performance data--trading off different woofer designs.

Good luck.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have Hornresp, but it baffles me completely..lol.  As far as drivers, all the Peavey cabs are loaded with stock drivers.  Sorry, I forgot to mention that.  I was just planning on sticking with the stock ones, as I imagine they'd give the best results.

-Jon

Then it really is a no-brainer to try...

Chris

37 minutes ago, Cornwalled said:

However, if I run them up too much higher, they get rather boomy in this room.

If you attenuate your Acoustic 301s using the Driverack in the 100-200 Hz band, and add some bass traps across a room corner or two, the boominess all should disappear. 

The Peavey FH-1s are much like La Scala bass bins, only a little more efficient due to their larger size cabinets. They don't really go any lower than La Scalas, IIRC.

Chris

You would be crazy not to buy at least every FH1. Better than La Scala bass bins with resonance killing mid braces already there.

you said it 50$ , you could have said 100$ ----you could have said 200$ ----buy as much as you need -because that offer will never come back -and if you miss it , you will be talking about it for the next 10 years ------

I’d like to get in this deal. Lol

What’s your location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, your should!

Even without a great price like you found, the FH-1 is a very good cabinet and with the right woofer inside should out perform a LS.

Not the best looking box, but can be turned into living room quality.

Shameless plug...

Posted (edited)

There are 2 FH2's which have 2 15's in them which I used to run down to 55 hrtz even though they are 60 htz cutoff.  As long as you don't over exert them they sounded great.  I think the diamond in the rough is the MB1 on top of the red FH2's.  It is a mid horn with a 12 inch driver that has a low cutoff of 250 hrtz and extends to 1200 hrtz.  If they have two of them that would be the first thing I would buy.  With my MWM's, the MB1's and with JBL 2445's on a 90 degree 2350 horns, I had a killer live system.  It sits in the garage because I don't do live sound anymore and haven't convinced the wife to allow me to put it in the house!

Edited by SpyderAudio

Let me add this, when I was young (1980's) I started to use my La Scala's for local gigs.  Power and volume increased over time to the point I smoked the woofers.  Had a relationship with the local Peavey dealership and replaced the woofers with the ones that went into the FH1's.  I didn't notice a difference until I added a second set of original La Scala's next to my modified ones.  The Peavy were a couple of DB more efficient.

The Peavey woofers aren't as good, though.

I messaged the seller.  Hopefully I hear back.  It looks like he has both the original FH-1 cabs, and the Black Widow ones.  I'm assuming the Black Widows would outperform the earlier versions?

-Jon

Well, I never heard back.  I guess they must be gone and he's just too lazy to bother to delete his ad or respond to people.  Some people are real schmucks.  Guess the search goes on.