Laura

Mallette

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:
47 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

I've always wondered how many times you can screw those pieces of plywood over the windows and not leave the house with a mess of screw holes.

JJK

There are clips that grab the plywood and the house.  No need for screws in many instances.

We use to have plywood for the front 2  4'x6' windows, it had metal clips, but we got tired of putting them up and down so we haven't in years. If it's going to be that bad we just leave. 

We still have no hatches, feel like I'm missing something.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dtel said:

We have not even had any rain yet, a little windy but nothing.

Kevin Harmon and his brother Brandon are fine in Lafayette, some water around but not in the house and no wind damage. Many are not that lucky.

Kind of surprised it is still a cat 1 going into Shreveport La, thought it would have died down to just a TS by then. Hope is not far so they should be a 1 or close ?

Talked with Roy last night he was fine, will try to get a hold of him again. 

When those monsters get down into the 940 millibar range they are voracious. Lived in FL for a decade, 1996 I believe five tropical storms came through central FL in rapid succession.

Nothing like the awesome display I saw over 200 miles from the beach in 1989 though. Heard somebody say (on tv) it was the worst in LA since the 1800s.

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

You definitely are.  But then you have to get battens for them.

I feel so deprived, always wanted at least one hatch.

Actually I did find one years ago I was going to hang out in the bar. I never got it because of the price, I had no idea hatches were that expensive, but I think it was brass ? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Looks like it jogged east at the last minute.

Yep, the storm track moved far enough East so we only got .11 inches of rain overnight here at our place in East Texas; no strong winds or gusts, and today is a bright sunshiny day. Even though today is my normal mowing day, I think I'll put off that chore until tomorrow.

Sounds like the storm surge wasn't as bad as originally forecasted, but the winds have caused a lot of damage in the path of the storm. Also, it looks like Shreveport is currently experiencing high winds and heavy rain; amazing how much difference there is only 90 miles away!!!!!!

Prayers continue for those affected by the storm and those still in its path!

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Heard from your in laws yet?

All out buildings including a 2 car garage gone. All fruit trees gone (1/2 doz were there.) House standing but damaged. It's a big loss for them as they are in their 70s. Like for so many other people, this is tough.

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, dtel said:

I feel so deprived, always wanted at least one hatch.

Actually I did find one years ago I was going to hang out in the bar. I never got it because of the price, I had no idea hatches were that expensive, but I think it was brass ? 

thats like me with sheds.  now for hatches, I would recommend at least one on the roof as a last resort, and one high on a wall, on the highest floor.  A standard lever latch will work fine for the inside, and coil an escape rope right by it, one end securely attached to the house.  Make sure the rope is long enough to reach the ground!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

All out buildings including a 2 car garage gone. All fruit trees gone (1/2 doz were there.) House standing but damaged. It's a big loss for them as they are in their 70s. Like for so many other people, this is tough.

Sorry to hear that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, billybob said:

How about you @Mallette you and @dtel got a copy...

Dodged a bullet here as well, though closer than Carl. Low is due east of us right now and about 50 miles away. Clean side is pretty free of everything max winds at my house 22mph, lowest pressure 29.41, rain just over an inch. Bossier City got hammered. Us to but it turned ENE at Bossier and wound up where it is. Same thing happened to me with Ike, but that was because the eye actually moved about 30 miles towards me rather than threading the needle of the ship channel into Galveston Bay where it would have meant a 22' surge. Instead, it was 17' and bad enough but much less damage. Still, my anemometer died at 120mph... House was only slightly damage, roof and privacy fence. 

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Mallette said:

House was only slightly damage, roof and privacy fence. 

Dave

But Dave is alright, were good. 

1 hour ago, JL Sargent said:

Hate to hear this, it's bad enough but when your in your 70's it's harder to deal with.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mallette said:

Maybe I wasn't clear. That was Ike. This one was a dud, but only by about 35 miles.

Dave

I forgot you don't live by the coast anymore, but as long your safe, Carl, Brandon, and Kevin are also good, I know I am missing some.

• Like 1

Our power company has pretty much shut everything down to try and keep the grid intact.  No eta on repairs.  Est 650k to 1 million without power now.  We're on the generator.   Gas meter is spinning like a top as it runs on natural gas.  I'm cycling it every 30 minutes to an hour.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1