Laura

Mallette

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Our power company has pretty much shut everything down to try and keep the grid intact.  No eta on repairs.  Est 650k to 1 million without power now.  We're on the generator.   Gas meter is spinning like a top as it runs on natural gas.  I'm cycling it every 30 minutes to an hour.

My wife want one because all of her ER's have them.

How large did you go 27KW, 30 KW? Generac brand?

What will it operate based on the KW you have? She thinks she can flip on ac, dry clothes and run hair dryer same time. 

Why does NG still flow? I know it's under pressure, but that's because it needs compression station every 70 to 100 miles. Is dual fuel (diesel plus NG) necessary?

7 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

What will it operate based on the KW you have? She thinks she can flip on ac, dry clothes and run hair dryer same time. 

Why does NG still flow? I know it's under pressure, but that's because it needs compression station every 70 to 100 miles. Is dual fuel (diesel plus NG) necessary?

There is this thing called "shedding" if the load becomes contaminated by female thinking.

JJK

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

20kw Generac.  Its not like being on the grid but its a hell of a lot better than nothing.  Itll run a 5 ton air conditioner but its a heavy load and doesn't cool as efficiently as on the grid.  Ill turn it off and run the 1 ton in the garage.  It stays nice out there.   When its running its always powering 2 fridges and a chest freezer.  We got it 11 years ago and its been flawless.  I do maintenance on it every 2 years and have maybe changed the battery 3 times.  It's an air cooled 999 cc v twin.  Larger kw Generacs are water cooled and really jump up in price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Sweet. Can't complain about that. They've told my in-laws it could be as long as a month. It was 15 days after Rita before they got it back.

Just got notification on my phone that rolling black outs have ended in our area.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

20kw Generac.  Its not like being on the grid but its a hell of a lot better than nothing.  Itll run a 5 ton air conditioner but its a heavy load and doesn't cool as efficiently as on the grid.  Ill turn it off and run the 1 ton in the garage.  It stays nice out there.   When its running its always powering 2 fridges and a chest freezer.  We got it 11 years ago and its been flawless.  I do maintenance on it every 2 years and have maybe changed the battery 3 times.  It's an air cooled 999 cc v twin.  Larger kw Generacs are water cooled and really jump up in price.

sure looks like a grass mower tractor motor -------but  it's designed  specifically  for generators ------

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 2:18 PM, Mallette said:

House was only slightly damage, roof and privacy fence. 

Dave

Super good news Dave ----Happy to hear that you and your Family are ok  -----it's not perfect , but much better than expected -

• Moderators
5 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

I'm calling that a total loss.

You don't need to be an insurance adjuster to see that, what a mess. That's hard for them and many others to have to deal with things like this and worse at there age. But also they know more than us being here longer that anything can happen. Glad they were alright.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2020 at 4:39 PM, CECAA850 said:

@JL Sargent tell them not to throw anything away until after the insurance people come for the inspection.   That includes carpet and drywall.

best advice , or if you have to  throw anything , place it in a container and take pictures   , lots of pictures  ----------